Official Women's Division Discussion #25

I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. You've been a professional mma fighter for years and your striking is that poor, how is that even possible? Kids may be? I don't know but it's strange.
She fights in the most garbage division in the sport. When the competition is garbage, and you have a particular skill set that consistently gets you wins, there’s little to no incentive to work on whatever needs improved upon.

I'm anticipating a competitive fight between Suarez and Esparza. Even though Carla is at the smaller end of the spectrum, she doesn't seem troubled by bigger fighters. Are they going to be pretty even in wrestling and grappling? I've heard people talk about Esparza's stand-up. Will that be an advantage for her? Can't wait to see how this one plays out.

I expect a fairly one-side win for Suarez, Carla's wrestling is about as overrated as Holly Holm's boxing. She has a fast double leg but she has poor form and setups, and is often forced to take shots from bad positions. Her takedown completion rate is poor compared to good wrestlers such as Claudia, Andrade, or Suarez, part of that is bad timing and taking shots from bad positions, part of it is her form.

When you shoot a double in wrestling you want to be like a sprinter coming off the blocks or a football lineman exploding off the line. You want to drive through the target in a strong stance and blast them right off their feet, Claudia does this well and Koscheck on the men's side was textbook. Carla doesn't do that well, she tries to shoot when her knees are practically on the ground and her own posture is already broken. She's basically leaning forward and then trying to shoot without having her legs & hips under her, there's not much drive behind the shot so it's easier to sprawl on it, and once you sprawl on her, her posture's broken and she can't reshoot. Watch Carla's fights against Joanna and Cynthia, note how easily they push her head down and kill the takedown. Then watch Claudia's fights against Joanna, even when Joanna stops the initial drive, Claudia is all the way in on the hips and can transition to singles and clinch takedowns.

Suarez doesn't have Claudia's power double, but she makes really good use of her size & reach. She times her entries well and once she's in you're fucked. She keeps chaining together clinch techniques, single legs, trips, throws, and keeps cycling through them until the opponent goes down. She keeps grip control on her opponents so they can't break contact, wrap up a tight overhook on one side then use her long arms to grab a leg or headlock on the other and start a sequence of takedowns. No matter what you do she already has her next moves setup so it's a complete bitch to deal with. I honestly don't see anyone other than Joanna having much success dealing with Tatiana's wrestling & grappling attack.

So we got Andrade/Kowalkiewicz, Esparza/Suarez, and now Montano/Shevchenko all happening at 228. I hope Montano pulls off a shocker, because quite honestly Valentina's hype train is getting irksome.

Looks like Lucie Puddinglover has been going down the twitter beef route to try and get a fight.

...think Pudding may have bitten off more than she can chew here. I've never seen 'Aspy' Aspen express any level of emotion before, so if she says she is going to do something 'violently' it makes me scared. I hope Lucie doesn't end up buried in the woods somewhere - whether this fight gets booked or not...

Lucie is doubling down.

Can a Flyweight convincingly fight against a Bantamweight because
one of the fights at Invicta FC 30 Saturday features such a match up
because Stephanie Geltmacher who is a Flyweight is stepping in as
a injury replacement to take on Kerri Kenneson who is a Bantamweight.

Can a Flyweight convincingly fight against a Bantamweight because
one of the fights at Invicta FC 30 Saturday features such a match up
because Stephanie Geltmacher who is a Flyweight is stepping in as
a injury replacement to take on Kerri Kenneson who is a Bantamweight.
Kenneson made her pro debut at 138 pounds, then took a flyweight fight, then went back to 135 for her Invicta debut. She’s not the biggest bantamweight, but she’s a good athlete.

She seems uncomfortable on the feet, but she’s been effective there too. I’d like to see her develop more there.

Just realized I'm blocked by Aspen. Did a search to see if I ever even interacted with her, and apparently this is why I'm blocked, lol

She never accepted my friend request on facebook either.... I always chalked it up to her not being active on it or an oversight or whatever....

....I guess she really is an asshole. haha.

(Aspen, if you're reading this, I still love you)

@BigMuffler
@Xuh

Who do you guys have winning between Esparza and Saurez?

I'm rooting for the better wrestler.

Suarez. Everyone is saying how good Carla is based on her last fight and forgetting that Claudia had knee issues and had to go into surgery two days later. After Claudia heals, I would like to see her against Suarez. That should be a great fight.

@BigMuffler
@Xuh

Who do you guys have winning between Esparza and Saurez?

I'm rooting for the better wrestler.
Suarez. She’s the future of the division.
Although, there’s no doubt in my mind that Esparza would be a dominant champion at 105.

Last edited:
Suarez. She’s the future of the division.
Although, there’s no doubt in my mind that Esparza would be a dominate champion at 105.

It's a little late in the game for her to try, but I agree: Esparza could have been the GOAT AW.

Jarl

Thanks to Dern’s ludicrous weightmiss I can now enjoy the Esparza vs. Suarez fight, singlets and everything :)

Should be a good showcase for Suarez’s wrestlesalotism - if she can handle Carla like she has done the more limited rasslers so far, whoa. Even with the size difference, this should be darn interesting...

Suarez resurrected wrestlesalotism depicted in The Flintstones: Stone Age SmackDown! Carla's resume includes wins over Rose Namajunas and Pebbles, who she claims kept ducking her as an infant.

Anyone else catch Maycee Barber on last night's contender series? I thought she looked all right but it's tough to say because I'm not sure how good was her competition. Wonder who they might match her up against in her ufc debut. There's some things that make me hesitant because she's only 20 & calling herself The Future. I hate that nickname. At what point do you change it to The Present? Or The Past? Do you always stay The Future? Get another nickname, stat.

UFC 228 looking good, can't come soon enough.

I'm still salty that Andrade hasn't been given a title shot and I have this feeling KK will pull off the win.

UFC 228 looking good, can't come soon enough.

I'm still salty that Andrade hasn't been given a title shot and I have this feeling KK will pull off the win.
I think Andrade beats Rose. I think the UFC knows that. I'll say no more.

I think Andrade beats Rose. I think the UFC knows that. I'll say no more.
Rose is injured. So I am not sure what this has to do with the UFC. Are you impyling that the UFC told Rose to fake an injury to avoid Jessica? The same Jessica that Rose would have to fight if she beats Karolina which will almost certainly happen.

Rose is injured. So I am not sure what this has to do with the UFC. Are you impyling that the UFC told Rose to fake an injury to avoid Jessica? The same Jessica that Rose would have to fight if she beats Karolina which will almost certainly happen.
Karolina has a great clinch game, great gas, and is insanely durable. She's style-wise one of the harder fights for Andrade in the Top 5. Maybe the hardest, outside of Joanna. Compared to Rose who doesn't deal with pressure well and whose style depends on hurting you with her power to convince you not to pressure her. I guess we just have very different reads on those fights.

Karolina has a great clinch game, great gas, and is insanely durable. She's style-wise one of the harder fights for Andrade in the Top 5. Maybe the hardest, outside of Joanna. Compared to Rose who doesn't deal with pressure well and whose style depends on hurting you with her power to convince you not to pressure her. I guess we just have very different reads on those fights.
Yea, KK has a problem with fighters who overpower her. Which is why Claudia beat her and got her only finish in the UFC so easily. KK is weak on the ground as evidenced by her panicking when Claudia took her down. No chance she avoids Jessica taking her down with brute strength. I actually would rather KK win but I just don't see it happening.

Yea, KK has a problem with fighters who overpower her. Which is why Claudia beat her and got her only finish in the UFC so easily. KK is weak on the ground as evidenced by her panicking when Claudia took her down. No chance she avoids Jessica taking her down with brute strength. I actually would rather KK win but I just don't see it happening.
Gadelha has an elite and fundamentally sound BJJ game. Andrade really doesn't. She's a lot more brute force and much less clinical technique.

Back