Official Women's Division Discussion #25

I thought that was a poor performance from Randa. She easily won the first round with a takedown and domination on the mat, then seemed to choose to spend nearly all of the next 2 rounds trading punches in space getting narrowly outstruck? She seemed annoyed at the decision, but you'd think she'd know better by now. She had a clear path to victory and chose not to take it.
Apparently she also said that the UFC told her she had to take the fight or she would be cut. You'd expect her to go for it more given such a circumstance. Might not take to kindly to saying that 'out loud' as it is.

Also I feel I must defend the honor of the humble Head & Arm throw. Ppl in the pbp giving Randa heat for using it, but she won the first round easily (and could have won other rounds) because she did.
Also some remarks about the better grapplers not using it, for instance...

Headlock toss is the bread and butter of almost everybody not named Suarez or Esparza in the 115 division as far as takedowns go.

You realise Suarez has used a head and arm throw in the majority of her UFC fights right?

All hail the head and arm!

I thought that was a poor performance from Randa. She easily won the first round with a takedown and domination on the mat, then seemed to choose to spend nearly all of the next 2 rounds trading punches in space getting narrowly outstruck? She seemed annoyed at the decision, but you'd think she'd know better by now. She had a clear path to victory and chose not to take it.
Apparently she also said that the UFC told her she had to take the fight or she would be cut. You'd expect her to go for it more given such a circumstance. Might not take to kindly to saying that 'out loud' as it is.

Also I feel I must defend the honor of the humble Head & Arm throw. Ppl in the pbp giving Randa heat for using it, but she won the first round easily (and could have won other rounds) because she did.
Also some remarks about the better grapplers not using it, for instance...

You realise Suarez has used a head and arm throw in the majority of her UFC fights right?

All hail the head and arm!

It's very effective. It just pops up in so many fights which surprises me because you don't see it much outside of the 115 division I feel (could definitely be wrong).

Randa seems like one of those fighters who if she had a better outside shot- like a really effective double leg, she would be a beast. Like once she's on top, she's usually awesome, but she cannot easily get opponents there at times. I think her standup has improved enough to be competitive against some superior strikers, but not enough to truly beat them. Why waste your comparative advantage?

At the end of the day, she could have won that third round had she maintained top position, but Rodriguez, to her credit, swept her and regained her feet. Frustrating to watch as a Randa fan.

The pbp thread was framing it as both looking like shit but I thought Randa did quite well in the earlygoing and that Rodriguez impressively was not overwhelmed by the bright lights and the potentially dispiriting first round domination.

It looks like Souza gave a quick AMA (filtered through the typing of her manager) on Reddit, here.

Not many Q's and A's but the more interesting ones I thought were:

Q: Who do you want to fight next?
A: I want Jessica Aguilar in December since we were booked to fight in February but I got injured.​

Q: If she could fight anyone in the division, who would it be?
A: I want to fight Juliana Lima. She disrespected me a lot when I was in Invicta and now I would love to prove her wrong. I watched her getting beat up a lot and I would love to be the next to beat her.​

Q: how many fights before a title shot and who do you think is the best in the division right now?
A: I want 5 fights before a title shot.
I think Tatiana Suarez is the best in the division.​

Q: How could you be so cruel to Astro Girl?
A: Just doing my job, nothing personal.​

It's very effective. It just pops up in so many fights which surprises me because you don't see it much outside of the 115 division I feel (could definitely be wrong).

Randa seems like one of those fighters who if she had a better outside shot- like a really effective double leg, she would be a beast. Like once she's on top, she's usually awesome, but she cannot easily get opponents there at times. I think her standup has improved enough to be competitive against some superior strikers, but not enough to truly beat them. Why waste your comparative advantage?

At the end of the day, she could have won that third round had she maintained top position, but Rodriguez, to her credit, swept her and regained her feet. Frustrating to watch as a Randa fan.

The pbp thread was framing it as both looking like shit but I thought Randa did quite well in the earlygoing and that Rodriguez impressively was not overwhelmed by the bright lights and the potentially dispiriting first round domination.

I think in the Q&A she did here that Homeless Infant (RIP) arranged she even said a double leg was her favorite move. Can't remember the last time I saw her shoot one though.
She also did a lot of different stuff in her fight with Torres, for instance, that you don't see now.

Maintaining top in the 3rd would have got the W, but you can't always hold them down. She didn't even try to close the distance or grapple in round 2, and did she do it outside the one TD attempt outside of that one in the third? That's what cost her the W - not losing control that one time, but not even trying the rest of the time.
Successful grapplers (like Suarez, or Khabib) are relentless in trying to initiate the grappling to exercise their 'comparative advantage'.

Speaking of Khabib, in her Q&A Souza picked Conman to win in that fight. Boo

The first round was promising, she had a better more balanced stance where she could actually move around, strike, and defend low kicks. Then in the 2nd & 3rd round she goes back to her bent over front leg heavy wrestling stance and gets her leg chewed up and front kicked in the face. Going to that shitty stance allowed her opponent to run circles around her and pretty much hit at will, and even when Marina slowed down and got sloppy, Randa still had a hard time keeping up with her.

Randa desperately needs a coaching team that'll drill the fundamentals into her.

personally i'd cut randa she is a can and boring to watch

The thing with the head and arm throw is not that it is amateur stuff per se, it's a technique like any other one. But aesthetically it gives you the impression that you're watching a backyard fight.
Matching Rodriguez with Randa was a terrible mistake by the matchmaker. You have an exciting striker with no wrestling making her debut on her turf and you match her up with a boring wrestler (no disrespect intended). Kinda hard to understand. With that being sad, I scored it 29-28 Rodriguez (28-28 being acceptable).

I've said before it's interesting now and again to see who Dana is following on IG, it's not as if he follows a lot of fighters. One recent follow was Polyana Viana who rather strangely got a main card spot at 227 and was exposed by the unheralded JJ Aldrich.

Marina Rodriguez was another rare follow from Uncle Dana and once again she gets a main card spot and ends up being less than impressive.

If Dana does want a new Brazilian needle mover then why not Renata Souza? I'd have put her on the main card, for sure it was a predictable squash match but the fans love that kind of thing and the girl does have a big personality. Someone did mention her potty mouth in the post-fights, so there is that.

Another recent follow was Emily Whitmire, who I remember got to drive Dana's shift stick at the end of tuf 26, expect her to get a co-main in the next couple of months.

One recent follow was Polyana Viana who rather strangely got a main card spot at 227 and was exposed by the unheralded JJ Aldrich.

I herald the shit out of JJ. She's my laptop background right now. haha.

Only a matter of time before the UFC pick her up. Wouldn't be surprised if they were negotiating a deal before this came out.

I hope KSW doesn't give up on it's women's division now that Lipski is gone. They still have a great pool of talent in Poland that they can use, not to mention all the prospects in Russia and Eastern Europe. I can see them pushing Karolina Owczarz, and with KSW 50 likely taking place next year I won't be surprised if they crown a new champ.

Speaking of Russia, Lilia Shakirova defeated Aygul Khabirova at Battle on Volga 6 via punches in the second round. I missed the first round completely but caught the entire second round which was mostly spent on the ground. It was a back and forth bout which culminated in Shakirova ultimately getting the finish. She improves to 5-1 whilst Khabirova falls to 5-1.

Last edited:
We'll be seeing Lipski on a main card before the end of the year, I believe. Who would be a good opponent for her? I think Calderwood would be a good war.

Ariane Lipski also could windup in negotiation with
Bellator or Invicta or UFC since all 3 have 125 lbs
and 1 is a all Women’s format plus if she is legitimately
good she could be 2 or 3 wins from a title shot.

If last night in São Paulo was anything Invicta may
gain 2 new Strawweights because Randa Markos
& Alex Chambers will most likely be cut do to too
many losses.

Well I was thinking Macedo v Moroz was a loser gets cut scrap, so what happened? Maybe this recent IG post got her cut ahead of time. OK it was a foot injury, seemingly.

Back