Official Women's Division Discussion #25

EBI 18 coming in December one person confirmed so far for their strawweight tournament

Lindsey VanZandt steps in on less than 48 hours notice to face Melissa Karagiannis Saturday for KOTC after Shawna Ormsby withdraws from the fight:

Has anyone heard anything about Bethe Correia’s
UFC status because I remember her flunking her
physical prior to UFC 228 in August do to vision
issues.

Last I read she later had another setback. If surgery is required it could be the end of her mma career.

I hope that Bethe Correia is not forced to retire because
I was hoping the change of gyms would be the break she
needed to get her career back on track and possibly have
a late career title run.

JJ's footwork is not as crisp as it needs to be. Or was. JJ is high-output but shit striking defense. Being "chinny" is not her problem, as the posters in the heavies seem to think, she just gets hit a lot, and often by people who are inferior strikers.

She has to move forward to be effective, and she is going to walk into a lot of shit while not being able to land at her usual volume. Neither fighter is a power puncher, but I do not expect JJ to win a round. Maybe the first as Val often starts slow.

I like both fighters but this is a bad match up for JJ. Val should pic her apart all night. And she does not have to worry about being out-muscled by a larger fighter and there is no real threat of a takedown.

Edited to add: this fight will also be a good display of different styles of stand-up. Val uses the more traditional MT style (although her round kick is not executed the same) and JJ uses the Dutch kickboxing style.

Thanks for the reply. I can see your points. Everyone kindly note I'm not a Shevchenko hater either. JJ could punch harder at the higher weight which may make it tougher for Val to shuck off or walk through her punches. An open question is what it may cost her in speed & volume. We will see.

I think Val's a bit gun shy against top strikers, or at least tends to counter rather than lead. I don't see much power from her strikes. Except perhaps against the unranked opponent who blew her knee out in round one. If Val can get JJ down that may change things. But JJ's good at stuffing takedowns and getting out of them when she's down. They're both good in the clinch. Good point about the different styles of stand up. I'm not favoring either fighter. Hoping it's a good fight and both are at their peak, raring to go.

EBI 18 coming in December one person confirmed so far for their strawweight tournament

Sorry, thought you guys knew.........

EBI 18 Participants so far:

The Silent Assassin Grace Gundrum
Talita Alencar
Pati Fontes
Gabby Romero
Tracey Goodell
Fiona Watson
Livia Gluchowska

Also... This tournament is regular BJJ, not Combat BJJ.

Thanks for the reply. I can see your points. Everyone kindly note I'm not a Shevchenko hater either. JJ could punch harder at the higher weight which may make it tougher for Val to shuck off or walk through her punches. An open question is what it may cost her in speed & volume. We will see.

I think Val's a bit gun shy against top strikers, or at least tends to counter rather than lead. I don't see much power from her strikes. Except perhaps against the unranked opponent who blew her knee out in round one. If Val can get JJ down that may change things. But JJ's good at stuffing takedowns and getting out of them when she's down. They're both good in the clinch. Good point about the different styles of stand up. I'm not favoring either fighter. Hoping it's a good fight and both are at their peak, raring to go.

I do not think Val can take JJ down, or keep her there if she manages to do so. I do think the years of cutting have had a negative effect on JJ's strength and power. Not huge, but every bit counts. Agree that Val is not a power striker. She would much rather move than sit down on her shots. And after doing this since she was a kid, nothing is changing any time soon. I do think it will be a good fight.

Probably not likely, but is anyone else trying to watch the SCL event? Payed for it, but it’s not coming up through their website.

Sparta Strawweight one night tournament bracket for Oct. 13.

39851724_10210602169684625_6883817709075693568_n.jpg
Not gonna lie, only giving this event half my attention tonight, but the skill level I’ve seen in boxing and kickboxing is, well, not good.

I fell asleep but apparently Amanda Serrano won by RNC. Which is pretty amazing for a Boxer who had 0 grappling until recently.

Someone put the Amanda Serrano fight up. I finally got to watch it and I gotta say I was impressed. This is what I wanted to see from Heather Hardy. When fighting a lower tiered fighter the Boxers should have a clear advantage in the striking. Amanda had a clear advantage this fight and even had the presences of mind to go for the RNC when the opportunity presented itself. We know how far she goes will depend on takedown defense and how well she works off her back but this fight she showed exactly what you want to see from a prospect early in their MMA career.

Here is where I watched the fight.

Back