Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Bard wasn't fighting for the money, she is well educatied and her husband has nice upper-middle class job.

I think she only went to TUF for the UFC title. Since she has no pathway to the title now, it's time for her to call it a career.

Okay guys, working on a discussion topic for my live stream tonight, and I'd like to hear your opinions.

I'm going to grade each of the major promotions featuring women's mma, and I need some criteria to grade them on. So far, I have:
1. number of divisions
2. Frequency of events featuring female fighters.
3. Average activity of each fighter
4. Perceived favoritism (less favoritism=better grade)

any other ideas?

Also, Michelle Nicolini returns vs Tiffany Teo next month in Singapore.

Bard wasn't fighting for the money, she is well educatied and her husband has nice upper-middle class job.

I think she only went to TUF for the UFC title. Since she has no pathway to the title now, it's time for her to call it a career.
I never said she was broke. I just said the prospects of making a lot of money were not there. The same situation is happening to Raquel Pa'aluhi now. We all know Raquel loves to fight but she has been very inactive because her prospects of making money are low due to her bad looking record. She loves fighting but why fight when you can make more doing other things. In Raquel's case she gets paid well to do BJJ seminars with her husband.

It looks like 105ers starting with Carla are pushing for the UFC to open the division. I would love to see it but I am not so sure it happens anytime soon unless they need to fill cards due to the new TV deal. With how 125 has started out with Eubanks missing weight then Nicco being out for 10 months only to miss weight then the UFC bungling everything else from then I am not sure if they would want to start another one so soon. I do think 105 would be the 2nd or 3rd best WMMA division depending on who the UFC signed since the division is so fragmented right now.

It looks like 105ers starting with Carla are pushing for the UFC to open the division. I would love to see it but I am not so sure it happens anytime soon unless they need to fill cards due to the new TV deal. With how 125 has started out with Eubanks missing weight then Nicco being out for 10 months only to miss weight then the UFC bungling everything else from then I am not sure if they would want to start another one so soon. I do think 105 would be the 2nd or 3rd best WMMA division depending on who the UFC signed since the division is so fragmented right now.

I’ve been thinking about doing the exact same thing she is calling for. With my following being so small, I hesitated. Now, with a former strawweight champ calling for it, it’s time to run with it.

Carla, Waterson, (bring back) Hamderlei, Hill, Frey, Brown, Chambers, and Hamasaki in an 8-woman tourney for the UFC atom weight strap...that's a beautiful dream. I mean, eventually they'll create this division...but when?

Jarl

I never said she was broke. I just said the prospects of making a lot of money were not there. The same situation is happening to Raquel Pa'aluhi now. We all know Raquel loves to fight but she has been very inactive because her prospects of making money are low due to her bad looking record. She loves fighting but why fight when you can make more doing other things. In Raquel's case she gets paid well to do BJJ seminars with her husband.

And she is better at them. She will never be more than a mid-card fighter at best in MMA. I am not normally one to say it, but, well, she is not completely focused on the goal of getting to the top, so she loses to more athletic fighters with greater focus.

Carla, Waterson, (bring back) Hamderlei, Hill, Frey, Brown, Chambers, and Hamasaki in an 8-woman tourney for the UFC atom weight strap...that's a beautiful dream. I mean, eventually they'll create this division...but when?

Jarl

I also think this is a great idea.

@leto1776 This would be what I would open with. And point out how the TUF scenario is a shit-show while you are at it.

I’ve been thinking about doing the exact same thing she is calling for. With my following being so small, I hesitated. Now, with a former strawweight champ calling for it, it’s time to run with it.

I also think this is a great idea.

@leto1776 This would be what I would open with. And point out how the TUF scenario is a shit-show while you are at it.

Damn, Should have thought about mentioning not using TUF. I think they're done with it anyway, come the move to ESPN

I certainly rather watch the top 20-30 atomweights than the 50th-80th best middleweights.

Carla has always said she’s against weight cuts and will never go down to 105. Guess Tatiana changed her mind.

Carla has always said she’s against weight cuts and will never go down to 105. Guess Tatiana changed her mind.

JAG should head south as well. With bigger paydays women people are going to be more focused and putting more effort into obtaining a competitive advantage, so the small 115 lbs. fighters are now fighting much larger women.

Jarl

It's pretty much a no-brainer. The names you listed are just a few of the fighters ready to stock up 105.

Pretty much everything in that rumor about the UFC moving to ESPN has come true. One of those things was a 105lb division being added when ESPN took over.
Also, in the last month or two, ESPN has spent a lot of time following Michelle Waterson around with cameras....

If the UFC does decide to add atomweight, hard to see Seo Hee Ham want to re-sign. RoadFC probably paying her way more than the UFC would offer.

Ayaka, however, could want to do it for the legacy.

Back