Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Every time I see that UFC atomweight post I gotta admire how well put together it is. The Focus on the belt. The forethought to try and start a hashtag for it. I love the font used. The well thought out photoshop of 105lbs on the scale. If Carla would have just edited herself out of the reflection on the belt it would have been perfect.

Every time I see that UFC atomweight post I gotta admire how well put together it is. The Focus on the belt. The forethought to try and start a hashtag for it. I love the font used. The well thought out photoshop of 105lbs on the scale. If Carla would have just edited herself out of the reflection on the belt it would have been perfect.

And this is why I do not work in marketing. I thought of none of that.

:)

44358189_2166234003698490_8463300307365920768_n.jpg

I was right. Joselyne Edwards (8-1) will fight Sarah Alpar (7-4) for the LFA Women's Bantamweight Title on November 30th.

Irene Cabello vs Yajaira Romo set for Nov 17 in Combate Americas

I'm still a little skeptical that atomweight has enough depth to fill a competitive division. Sure, there are a few standouts, but it seems like the talent pool takes a bit of a drop after that. I read lots of posts in this thread that are critical of fighting skills on display in other WMMA divisions, so I don't like to imagine what people would have to say about the lower-ranked fighters in a hypothetical AW division. Some of the mentioned names are fighters who will never go back to 105. Some would try to cut to 105, miss weight, and then the peanut gallery would talk shit. If both Invicta and RoadFC both had a competitive and exciting top 10 for AW, the UFC would have to poach most of both rosters to make a relatively complete division.

I don't think it'll happen. I just think they're too small for the UFC cage.

I don't think the time is right for 105 in the UFC, especially with how badly they're running 2/3 divisions right now. They totally bunged up the introduction of flyweight and it's gonna take another year or more to sort out that mess and 135 is badly hurting for new talent. Trying to introduce 105 in the near future would be a total clusterfuck and likely end up with 3 dysfunctional divisions and stall out a bunch of fighters' careers as the UFC bungles its matchmaking some more. WSW will be fine but all other divisions will either be stalled out, in chaos, or slowly dying.

Get flyweight sorted out, recruit heavily for 135 to fill out the roster, then worry about 105.

I don't think the time is right for 105 in the UFC, especially with how badly they're running 2/3 divisions right now. They totally bunged up the introduction of flyweight and it's gonna take another year or more to sort out that mess and 135 is badly hurting for new talent. Trying to introduce 105 in the near future would be a total clusterfuck and likely end up with 3 dysfunctional divisions and stall out a bunch of fighters' careers as the UFC bungles its matchmaking some more. WSW will be fine but all other divisions will either be stalled out, in chaos, or slowly dying.

Get flyweight sorted out, recruit heavily for 135 to fill out the roster, then worry about 105.
That idea of a 105 lbs division won't happen. No way.
Not only there isn't much of a popular push behind it (other than ultimate dork Leto76 and some Esparza fans ofc - LOL), UFC doesn't have any more card space. New divisions demand it, or we get a division that barely gets 10 fights by year, like bantamweight, and then the division just doesn't move.
105, RIGHT NOW, is a terrible idea, from many perspectives. It's a old and spread out division that right now has as elite old Asian fighters who most Western fans couldn't care less. There is some promising and interesting prospects in Invicta, but not enough.
It's much more likely that UFC will cut the bottom of lightweight and welterweight and open a 165 lbs division than opening 105.

Even though I would love the division and think it will do well once its established I also agree that now is probably not the right time. I can't really blame the UFC for the lack of talent at 135/145. 145 has always been an abomination and recruiting hard will not fix that. For some reason the talent level is just abysmal. I only watch the female fights on this years TUF and they are not giving me hope either. 135 was similarly terrible but to a lesser degree than 145. It was always just masked by the upper end of the division. Once Tate and Ronda retired the true state of 135 was revealed. In my opinion, like 145 I don't think there are any good 135 prospects not already signed. Recruiting hard will not really fix that issue either.

I think how terrible the 125 division has gone really killed any momentum 105 could have had. While some people blame TUF I don't because 115 was started the same exact way and turned out great. It was just a series of bad luck and terrible decisions. How does Sarj make weight on TUF multiple times in quick succession and then has to be hospitalized due to a bad weightcut during the championship fight? Nicco then gets multiple injures that stall a new division for 10 months before she had to be hospitalized due to a botched weightcut. The UFC then compounds on top of that with their archaic and shortsighted matchmaking with the Breaking up for Joanna/Valentina just to put a title fight on the MSG card.

FNG was going to crown the inaugural Flyweight champion today, with Julia Borisova (5-4) vs. Mariya Agapova (6-0, 21 years old) but Borisova got injured and pulled out. Kinda bummed.

dee348df0cadce474f3d46eed2b430ca.png

Yes Atomweight offers good fights but the downside to the division is it is like
Featherweight in terms of difficulty to book because most of the girls that fight
weigh in somewhere between 115-135 lbs which means real easy to book for
that group.

42916029_2077830588941424_6665155349168783360_o.jpg

Big regional Strawweight fight between Miranda Granger (4-0) and Jamie Colleen (4-2).

I can see why Flyweight's messy introduction can make people hesitant on wanting an Atomweight division.

On the other hand, waiting too long to create Flyweight negatively affected the start of the division and it isn't out of the realm of imagination that waiting too long for Atomweight could do the same. I'm not sure who the Atomweight equivalent of a MacFarlane would be - maybe Jinh Yu? - but if Bellator pounces first again it's gonna make things messy again for the UFC.

Desiree just landed on Fatima Mallett on Legacy's undercard

Back