Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Itzel Esquivel defs Vanessa Demopoulos by unanimous dec
Hailey Cowan defs Sha Whittington 1st rd tko
Desiree Yanez defs Fatima Mallett by 1st rd ko

To be honest if Mara Romero Borella did the time
for her crimes committed and doesn’t get in trouble
with the law again I can say that she has earned my
respect for getting her act together.

Anyone got any clue who Hannah Cifers is? Whats her Strengths/Weaknesses and is she someone to look out for or just another fighter? The last time I can remember we were in a similar situation it was with Cynthia and that turned out pretty well.

Anyone got any clue who Hannah Cifers is? Whats her Strengths/Weaknesses and is she someone to look out for or just another fighter? The last time I can remember we were in a similar situation it was with Cynthia and that turned out pretty well.

Well, Kali Robins is probably her best win. Primarily a striker. A bit more power than skill. Footwork WMMA standard.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Hannah-Cifers-117571

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/34495-hannah-cifers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk0uJvyUL4Xz9CcFMrySHEg

Cifers is a small strawweight but she looks to have heavy hands, certainly a step up in competition from Stevenson. With a 40 strong 115 pound roster I wonder why they had to go outside the UFC for a replacement? Surely they're not looking ahead to 105?

Anyway now looks like a genuine scrap for Barber, does Cifers have a ground game though?

Anyway now looks like a genuine scrap for Barber, does Cifers have a ground game though?

Not that I have seen. She seems to have decent TDD and good clinch work so she has not spent much time on the ground. She does have a submission loss.

Not that I have seen. She seems to have decent TDD and good clinch work so she has not spent much time on the ground. She does have a submission loss.

Yep against Gillian Robertson, also had a tough pro debut against Heather Jo Clark back in 2013. Btw that tale of the tape in the Smith fight can't be right, usually announced as 5'2" even 5'1" The weights also wrong - tapology has 110.5 against 109.5

Last edited:
Yep against Gillian Robertson, also had a tough pro debut against Heather Jo Clark back in 2013. Btw that tale of the tape in the Smith fight can't be right, usually announced as 5'2" even 5'1" The weights also wrong - tapology has 110.5 against 109.5

Yeah, HJC is a tough opener. I did not really pay attention to the tale of the tape, but it is amazing how often that gets screwed up.

Been doing some research on Cifers, from a tiny place in North Carolina, farm girl strength, purple belt in bjj, too shy to do ring interviews, has a pet raccoon ...... ok I'm a fan already.

Sparta Combat league is rebroadcasting last weekend’s queen of Sparta tournament tonight on Facebook. Thankfully, only the tournament fights.

Even though I would love the division and think it will do well once its established I also agree that now is probably not the right time. I can't really blame the UFC for the lack of talent at 135/145. 145 has always been an abomination and recruiting hard will not fix that. For some reason the talent level is just abysmal. I only watch the female fights on this years TUF and they are not giving me hope either. 135 was similarly terrible but to a lesser degree than 145. It was always just masked by the upper end of the division. Once Tate and Ronda retired the true state of 135 was revealed. In my opinion, like 145 I don't think there are any good 135 prospects not already signed. Recruiting hard will not really fix that issue either.

I think how terrible the 125 division has gone really killed any momentum 105 could have had. While some people blame TUF I don't because 115 was started the same exact way and turned out great. It was just a series of bad luck and terrible decisions. How does Sarj make weight on TUF multiple times in quick succession and then has to be hospitalized due to a bad weightcut during the championship fight? Nicco then gets multiple injures that stall a new division for 10 months before she had to be hospitalized due to a botched weightcut. The UFC then compounds on top of that with their archaic and shortsighted matchmaking with the Breaking up for Joanna/Valentina just to put a title fight on the MSG card.
Recruiting hard at 135 and 145 might not fix them entirely but they'd definitely be better than now, Kaufman belongs in the ufc she's easily top 10 maybe top 5 she was cut for losing a short notice fight to Shevchenko via SD, at 33 she's still a good fighting age. And I'm sure there's several regional women at 135 with 7-2, 6-0 that could be given a trial fight to see how it goes.
145 could have Felicia Spencer, and Pam Sorenson, and if we're talking Really aggressive recruiting they could make plays for Julia Budd, Arlene Blencowe and Kayla Harrison.

Recruiting hard at 135 and 145 might not fix them entirely but they'd definitely be better than now, Kaufman belongs in the ufc she's easily top 10 maybe top 5 she was cut for losing a short notice fight to Shevchenko via SD, at 33 she's still a good fighting age. And I'm sure there's several regional women at 135 with 7-2, 6-0 that could be given a trial fight to see how it goes.
145 could have Felicia Spencer, and Pam Sorenson, and if we're talking Really aggressive recruiting they could make plays for Julia Budd, Arlene Blencowe and Kayla Harrison.

I can meet you halfway here. Recruit hard for 135. Cut their losses at 145. Let someone else pay the cost of finding training dummies for Cyborg.

So Christine Ferea just KOed Jennifer Tate in Bare Knuckle boxing first round finish

So Christine Ferea just KOed Jennifer Tate in Bare Knuckle boxing first round finish

Cereal definitely fits my mental image for a female bare knuckle boxer.

Idk if that's an autocorrect mistake, but she's "Cereal" forever now. WAR Cereal.

As a fan of Rachael I am happy for anything happening to her that will help her career. However, my BS detector is going off. The timing of this TMZ story seems fishy. It seems to me like the UFC is building her up in the media for her fight with PVZ. Depending on who wins that fight and how well they do Rachael could start to get big. This seems like them sowing the seeds early like they did with their comparison of Tatiana with Khabib.

Back