Official Women's Division Discussion #25

I believe Claudia really went downhill after leaving nova uniao.

Interesting to note that since moving to the US Claudia went 3-2 and Joanna went 3-3.

Joanna had gotten 3 bonuses prior to the move and none since.

Claudia wasnt much on the bonus department before with just the one on the title fight loss to joanna, since the move she got a performance against karolina and a fotn against jessica andrade. Interesting trend of her bonuses for fotn being losses where she as usual started strong and ended up being dominated by the end.

Edit: on a curious side note, both left after they fought eachother for the belt on the tuf finale.

Last edited:
Now that "trading" is a thing in MMA, do you think the UFC and Bellator would contemplate a Cyborg for MacFarlane trade? Does this trade make sense to anyone?

Jarl

Macfarlane (and Melendez + Velasquez) for Cyborg, yes pls.

Cyborg is a draw, and the most exciting female fighter according to public opinion - that's not debatable, it's a fact.

Therefore, a trade for MacFarlane alone is a joke, absolutely not worth it.
I think Bellator's entire flyweight division wouldn't be enough to be honest, but that's a trade i would like, as a fan.
All Bellator's 125ers for Cyborg, Anderson and Chiasson. Great for WMMA fans and for the fighters involved too, but i'm sure most on the Heavies would hate it, because more fighters demands more card space. Not sure how people ignore that last part, which is super important.

Is UFC willing to increase WMMA participation rate on cards? Who knows. I would say probably not, due to recent public backslash towards WMMA, but i was surprised with the amount of female fighters being recently signed via DWTNCS/DWTNCSBR so it's tough to guess.

Last edited:
Now that "trading" is a thing in MMA, do you think the UFC and Bellator would contemplate a Cyborg for MacFarlane trade? Does this trade make sense to anyone?

Jarl

Cyborg for .50 cents and a ticket to a re-run of Buckaroo Bonzai sounds fine to me, and that was the stupidest movie of all time (after Attack of the Killer Tomatoes).

Cyborg is a draw, and the most exciting female fighter according to public opinion - that's not debatable, it's a fact.
<{fry}>

I get what you are saying though; Cyborg is almost certainly the biggest active name in WMMA, so it would be strange for the UFC to trade her for a bunch of fighters that will likely never be as big of a name as her. It's all hypothetical fun in the end though

Also, good to see Kassem at Flyweight; that cut to 115 looked really bad.

No contradiction in my post mate, is Cyborg the most exciting female fighter? Well, that's certainly debatable and subjective, maybe to you she isn't, to me she is, to others depends. Sure.
But what i stated as a fact, and i stand correct, is that to MOST fans (public opinion), she is. No doubt about it.
I get what you are saying though; Cyborg is almost certainly the biggest active name in WMMA, so it would be strange for the UFC to trade her for a bunch of fighters that will likely never be as big of a name as her. It's all hypothetical fun in the end though

Agreed. Kassem looked miserable on the scales and i think she has the frame to fight at 125, will be a fun prospect. Personally i love that fight with Montana, hopefully it hits the ground quick so we can get some sick transitions :D

<{fry}>

Of course, given what she is paid there may be other financial considerations. Plus the problems that come with dealing with her. As far as I know, she is the only fighter Brian Stann has ever complained about, and he is nice to or about everyone.

Anyone have any real numbers on her draws?

Plus you do not want the public to wake up to the fact that she gets paid to beat up smaller women. That would hurt the brand a bit, methinks.

I'm curious does anyone like MacFarlane chances this weekend to keep her belt?
To me Valarie is world's better at striking and has some power. Add that to strong wrestling and tdd so she can't be bullied to the ground for a sub which is MacFarlane main path to victory.

I'm probably going to be betting on the fight (depending on the lines, of course), so I should answer this.

Yeah, MacFarlane doesn't have much in the way of striking, but Letourneau is absolutely putrid in that regard. I can't understate how bad she is, not even able to throw a proper straight punch. So I don't see that bothering MacFarlane in the least.

More concerningly, yeah, Letourneau does have some wrestling ability, and I have been less than impressed with MacFarlane's takedowns. On the flip side, she is good at turning fights into grappling matches, and she has 5 rounds with which to work for a sub. And as MacFarlane showed in her last two fights, she can absolutely get one late.

So yeah, I can see Letourneau winning a decision, but MacFarlane should still be a significant favorite. (Maybe -180 or so?)

As for the UFC trading Cyborg for MacFarlane and some other Bellator 125'ers...not in a million years.

Cyborg is the biggest star and financial draw in WMMA right now. Why in the world would you trade that for relative unknowns with little to no drawing power?

she gets paid to beat up smaller women. That would hurt the brand a bit, methinks.
Kickboxing GOAT got paid to beat up smaller men, most fans never gave a fuck about it and still appreciated him.
Cyborg will face whoever shows up to fight her, it being true featherweights or not. That's it.

Plus you do not want the public to wake up to the fact that she gets paid to beat up smaller women. That would hurt the brand a bit, methinks.

Why would it hurt the brand? And why do you think anyone would notice or care when they haven't cared or noticed during the past 10+ years of Cyborg's career?

No contradiction in my post mate, is Cyborg the most exciting female fighter? Well, that's certainly debatable and subjective, maybe to you she isn't, to me she is, to others depends. Sure.
But what i stated as a fact, and i stand correct, is that to MOST fans (public opinion), she is. No doubt about it.
Agreed. Kassem looked miserable on the scales and i think she has the frame to fight at 125, will be a fun prospect. Personally i love that fight with Montana, hopefully it hits the ground quick so we can get some sick transitions :D

Glad to see it's at 125. I've liked what I've seen of Kassem. Very aggressive. Yeah that cut to 115 was too much. Look forward to seeing how she'll do at 125 against another aggressive fighter. Might be the toughest challenge yet for both fighters.

I can't tell if you suffer from early onset Alzheimer's, or are just a poor liar. You started the personal insults with this post, and after I respond in kind, all of a sudden you're crying?

I questioned your striking credentials, same as you questioned those of @aerius and @Eater of Souls . Apparently, you can question other people just fine, but like many politicians, can’t take it in return, as you made it personal by attacking my appearance. That’s childish., and makes you a dogshit poster.

I guess the truth about your physical state and me calling our your lies hurt that bad, huh?

Considering you’ve never seen anything below my neck, you know nothing of my physical state, making your insults just that much more childish. I bet you just straight up own all the other kids on Xbox live with your trash talk.

You're officially a loser who understands nothing about fighting, has a failure of a Youtube channel, is a fat, ugly sack of shit, and has to make a big deal of putting someone on ignore after they make fun of you on the Internet.

See? My claims are true, unlike your figurative insult.

So again with the childish, personal insults?

My channel might be slow growing, as is to be expected when dedicating it to a niche segment in a niche sport, but a failure? According to YouTube analytics, my channel has grown by over 10% in the past month, and I’m credentialed media at Invicta this weekend for the second time, further expanding my resume and reach. But hey, don’t let those facts get in the way of your narrative of hate.

What it all boils down to is you just like to come in here and attack others, belittle everyone’s opinions, act superior, and insult anyone who disagrees with you, all while hiding behind complete anonymity and bringing very little to no value to this thread.

Enjoy your 500th consecutive weekend in Mom’s basement. I’ll be cageside at Invicta.

What highly anticipated fights are on the horizon for you all?

For me:
Cyborg vs Nunes.
Zingano vs Anderson.
Calderwood vs Lipski.
Albu vs Whitmire.

Joana's TDD is on Jose Aldo's level
Valentina had an easier time grappling with Holly

Just watching the fight (yet) again and her instincts & reaction time when stopping takedown attempts is ridiculous.
Even though Joanna failed on this sequence it's still unreal, Valentina had to chain together techniques with perfect timing & execution to get her down.

giphy.gif

Valentina catches the kick and goes to sweep out the leg, but Joanna's already fighting Val's free hand so she can't post against the body to push JJ backwards on the sweep.
JJ defends the sweep and Valentina changes her grip to the back of JJ's neck and drives forward to setup the next sequence
Joanna hops back to try & sprawl while moving her right hand down to start stripping off Val's grip on her leg so she can get it back & complete the sprawl.
Valentina starts pulling down and to her left on JJ's neck and uses her head to pin Joanna's head in place against her grip
She lifts & rotates Joanna's caught leg around and continues pulling the head to complete the throw.

Everyone else that Valentina's fought went down on the initial sweep, she put Nunes down with it in their first fight and same thing with Holm. Here, Joanna survives the sweep, stops the attempt to drive through and plow her over, and only goes down after it's abruptly reversed into a throw. That's 3 techniques chained together in under 3 seconds with violent direction reversals, that's what it takes to get Joanna down. Every striker needs to get with Joanna & her coaches and learn how to stop takedowns.

Also, I want to see Joanna vs. Suarez at 125.

The long awaited return of the best legs in the game. Hopefully we see some vintage Penne grappling, ala her fighter vs Sugi Rock.

If she wins, it’d be a perfect moment to get on the mic and ask for #ufcatomweight

If she wins, it’d be a perfect moment to get on the mic and ask for #ufcatomweight
Hell, both of them are ex-Atomweights and are probably better suited at 105.

I'd love to see PastaGirl go on a run and somehow set up a Waterson-Penne 2, either at 105 or 115. KH would win again of course, but the ana leading up to the fight would be too good!
<{1-16}>

Back