Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Why does Invicta have so many missed weights every event? Is that normal for smaller promotions where more fighters are semi-pro so to speak?
Yes, Bellator is like that too. UFC fighters are, without a doubt, years ahead other fighters in terms of being professional about weight.

I mean, 4 fighters missing is not a common thing but usually im surprised when nobody misses at this level of event.

I'm glad that Dern got her shit together and managed to make weight.

I'm very disappointed that Brown did not, especially as I chose to use her image as an avatar for this event and if she wins now that win is sort of soiled.

Invicta FC Adds 15 Fighters, Including Sarah Kaufman and Pearl Gonzalez
December 7, 2017
by Rob Tatum

from the article:

The bantamweight division will see the biggest influx of combatants with six signings: Sarah Kaufman (18-4, 1 NC), Marciea Allen (6-2), Julia Avila Shumate (4-0), Kerri Kenneson (2-0), Allison Schmidt (1-0) and Chelsea Chandler (0-0).

Joining the flyweight ranks will be Bianca “Bibi” Daimoni (7-2), Brogan Sanchez (4-0), Monica “PhenomAmom” Medina (3-1) and Helen Peralta (0-0).

The strawweight division gets a pair of new faces in UFC veteran Pearl Gonzalez (6-3) and Canada’s Ashley Nichols (3-1).

Finally, three new athletes have been added to the atomweight division: Loma Lookboonmee (0-0), Fernanda Priscila (3-1) and Rebekah LeVine (1-0).

Look for many of the new athletes to compete inside the Invicta FC cage in 2018.

Invicta FC 26 Weigh-in Results
Jennifer Maia (123.3) vs. Aga Niedźwiedź (124.6) – for flyweight title
Kaline Medeiros (115.8) vs. Mackenzie Dern (115.9)
Janaisa Morandin (115.4) vs. Kinberly Novaes (121.8)*
Vanessa Porto (127.6)* vs. Milana Dudieva (125.6)
Amy Montenegro (117.6)* vs. Virna Jandiroba (114.3)
Amber Brown (106.3)* vs. Tessa Simpson (105.4)
Christine Ferea (125.7) vs. Karina Rodríguez (124.7)
Kay Hansen (114.4) vs. Emilee Prince (115.5)

* – Novaes, Porto, Montenegro and Brown were fined 25 percent of their respective fight purses for missing weight

Source: WMMARankings
How funny is it that all those people miss weight and none of them are Dern.

Psyched for the Invicta title fight Friday. This week I watched some Aga N. fights & enjoy her tactical style. I find it electrifying. Can she take the flyweight belt from Jennifer Maia? We'll soon find out. It's free & live on fight pass. Love Invicta cards: the commentary, the fighters, Shannon Knapp et. al.
A problem for Aga could be cardio if this fight goes to the championship rounds. No one seems to remember this but she had major cardio problems her last fight and I think that fight was 3 rounds.

• Entering the promotion with an unbeaten record, the Californian Avila Shumate, also known as “The Raging Panda,” hold victories over current UFC fighter Marion Reneau and current UFC flyweight champion Nicco Montaño.
Interesting, looking forward to her debut. Glad to know that Gonzales is gone of UFC too, she didn't belong there yet, terrible striking and no second gameplan, that fight with Botelho was one of the worst of the year. I hope Curran and Magana get cut next.

How funny is it that all those people miss weight and none of them are Dern.
I find* :p it comforting to be real, im happy for her.

I'm very disappointed that Brown did not, especially as I chose to use her image as an avatar for this event and if she wins now that win is sort of soiled.
I find it funny this happen after Amber got into a twitter argument with Celina Haga about fighting at 110lbs. Amber stated that 105 is her weight and she would need more compensation to fight at 110. Fast forward a month or two and she misses weight.

Why does Invicta have so many missed weights every event? Is that normal for smaller promotions where more fighters are semi-pro so to speak?

Is it a female issue then? Or even then is Invicta just particularly lax about it?

Pretty sure it's a woman thing. I know feminists will be outraged at this, but it just points out the biological differences between men and women.

I think it backs up the idea that the times Dern missed weight, she just didn't give a shit and didn't even try. Now that she's seen who's fighting at flyweight in the UFC and wants nothing to do with them, she has to show she can actually be a strawweight.

I find it funny this happen after Amber got into a twitter argument with Celina Haga about fighting at 110lbs. Amber stated that 105 is her weight and she would need more compensation to fight at 110. Fast forward a month or two and she misses weight.
{<jordan}

Is it a female issue then? Or even then is Invicta just particularly lax about it?

Not sure. I mean, I have been an athlete the majority of my life, including half-assed competing into my late 40's. and been around/worked with any number of female athletes. Not generally, no. That being said, those who have to travel the farthest generally suffer the most during a cut, including bloating. So a long flight close to a fight can fuck anybody up. So if finances are lean and they only have a couple of nights before a fight, this makes it more difficult assuming they do shit like fly in from out of the country. That being said, it is just unprofessional as hell.

There are a few differences with respect to bloat after making weight, so if a woman has had to cut recently that can make it more difficult, but here I mean about two weeks or less.

Well I guess Novaes has an excuse being such a late sub but the others ......

Is this going to spread to the UFC? Wmma missed weights 2014 - 3, 2015 -1, 2016 - 3, 2017 - 8.

The MMA Beat gang deigned to speak about tuf26, although none of them bothered to watch the fights. Like a lot of people they suggested that Maia Niedzwiedz was for the real belt ... for me Montero's ud wins over Roxy, Honchak and Murphy tops anything the other flyweight belt holders have done.

Yeah I don't like the excuses made either, Montano clearly beat the best of the field and the favourites to claim the belt, whether her actual record shows that or not, her TUF record certainly shows the competition she had to face in order to advance to finals. She beat seeds 1, 2, 3 and 6.

Dern came in .1 pounds light. Wow.

They still do ceremonial weigh ins, right? I miss the days where you didn't know if somebody was going to miss till you were actually watching as the shit went down.

If Niedz beat Maia, she has a win over the fighters that were #1 and #2 WFLW before she signed with Invicta, of course that's the real belt, Honchak was out for 3 years and Roxy lost to both Porto and Maia. The winner of Invicta belt is the #1 WFLW on the world.

Based on recent signings announced here it looks like
Invicta managed to sign a few larger and or taller fighters
if pictures are anything to go by.

Yeah I don't like the excuses made either, Montano clearly beat the best of the field and the favourites to claim the belt, whether her actual record shows that or not, her TUF record certainly shows the competition she had to face in order to advance to finals. She beat seeds 1, 2, 3 and 6.

Yeah, Nicco certainly turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Incredibly athletic, which is a huge quality missing from a lot of WMMA fighters, although less so than in the past. She can (hopefully) go quite a ways. I would really like to see her do well.

Helen Peralta has signed with Invicta and will be making her pro debut early next year. Helen has been one of the scariest amateur fighters in the Midwest the past couple years. She is 9-1 with 7 straight wins and won the TRU REV Flyweight and Bantamweight Titles and most recently the Tuff-N-Uff Flyweight Title. She will fare a lot better than a lot of female fighters making their pro debuts.

Back