Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Carmouche had been boasting about winning submission contests right before her fight with Davis, but I think she would have been showing far higher fight I.Q. to have taken advantage of her clear opportunities to stand the fight back up whenever it went to the mat after she had rocked Davis, and swollen Davis's face considerably, from standing punches. In my opinion, that was her clear and relatively easy path to victory... thrown away by not fighting smarter.
I think Liz feels the need to press a grappling attack against people she's physically stronger than.

I really expect both these women to be a force in this division though! Perhaps we should see Davis vs Eubanks? I would like that fight.

I would give Carmouche to Deanna Bennett, probably give Modaferri to Fabian. Lauren Murphy should get Jennifer Maia if she is rightfully signed..

Lauren Murphy should get Jennifer Maia if she is rightfully signed.

Maia might be expected to (or want to) defend her belt, at least once. That could mean that Niedzwiedz will be signed by the UFC sooner than Maia, as she has no need to stick around Invicta FC (having lost, and not likely to get an immediate re-match).

Last edited:
Maia might be expected to (or want to) defend her belt, at least once. That could mean that Niedzwiedz will be signed by the UFC sooner than Maia, as she has no need to stick around Invicta FC (having lost, and not likely to get an immediate re-match).

Wait.... you're supposed to defend a belt once you win it?

Where are WBW prospects?

In UFC, Aspen Ladd is the only promising prospect in WBW.

Among Invicta FC WBW new signings, only Julia Avila has a decent record including wins over Marion Reneau & Nicco Montano. But she is undersized for WBW, only 5'4".

Why there is no more high level athletes enter heavier women MMA weight classes from Judo/BJJ/Wrestling/Kickboxing backgrounds in recent years?

Where are WBW prospects?

Among Invicta FC WBW new signings, only Julia Avila has a decent record including wins over Marion Reneau & Nicco Montano. But she is undersized for WBW, only 5'4".

Why there is no more high level athletes enter heavier women MMA weight classes from Judo/BJJ/Wrestling/Kickboxing backgrounds in recent years?
Um... I mean someone mentioned a few pages back about Rizlen Zouak and Morgane Ribout, both transitioning from judo to MMA. Zouak has a fight this month if I remember correctly, there's also Antonina Shevchenko who's also fighting this month.

ETA: Zouak trains in France, same gym as Ngannou I think. I wouldn't say Ladd is the only prospect in the UFC, they've got Vieira and Mazany seems to be making a resurgence (not sure if it'll last though). Talita Bernardo looked promising too against Reneau (she took that fight on short notice). I really wanna say Aldana too and am hoping she wins her next fight.

Last edited:
I think Liz feels the need to press a grappling attack against people she's physically stronger than.
Which is probably most women in the divisions she can fight in.

I wouldn't say Ladd is the only prospect in the UFC, they've got Vieira and Mazany seems to be making a resurgence (not sure if it'll last though).
Vieira is probably beyond prospect already (certainly ahead of Ladd).

I can't think of any obvious challengers for Maia at Invicta, plus she's also defended twice.

I can't think of any obvious challengers for Maia at Invicta, plus she's also defended twice.
Karina? Before she joins her teammates in the UFC.
Or KGB Lee if she's got time before that 6 month USADA window is done for her to sign with the UFC

Lee's already signed no?
Not sure how that works exactly tbf, just know she needs to be in the pool for 6 months (though that was in September I think, so she's probably far enough in to schedule a fight)

Lee's already signed no?

Yes. But they let Cyborg fight in Invicta and paid her damn salary. At least that way she would not have to sit out. Dern is supposedly under contract with the UFC as well (I seem to recall reading that but cannot be bothered to look it up. I am sure somebody here knows more than I do about it.)

Where are WBW prospects?

I don't think being 5'4" will stop her.. I don't think all women's bantamweights must stand 5'8". Avila has some decent muscle on her.

There's always the aforementioned Zouak, elder Schevchenko and Ribout, but also coming out of France is Zarah Dos Santos (5-2). She is 5'9" and seems to hit pretty hard. Marina Mokhnatkina (3-0) should also get a mention, she is a multiple time Sambo world champion.

I actually keep a list of 135 women with any promise on my phone just for fun! I've got a lot of names in the spoiler!

Also in Europe, you have Liana Jouja (6-2), who might really be a Flyweight, but has another bantamweight fight scheduled. And Zaira Dyshekova (4-2), who has a win over Yana Kunitskaya, though she likely got it based on toughness alone. Katarzyna Sadura (3-2) is a teammate of Karolina Kowalkiewicz, and she is kind of hot.

In the United States, outside of Invicta, Leah Letson (4-0) has looked good. Shanna Young (4-0) is also around, she has a win over Pam Sorensen, I believe she will be making a return in 2018, after a knee injury. On the US amateur circuit, Lisa Spangler (8-1) and Gillian Noll (7-3) are young and have been winning, though I haven't seen them fight.

In Brazil, Karoline Rosa (5-1), Mayana Kellen (6-0), Mayra Silva (4-0) and Norma. Dumont (3-0) would seem to be ok prospects, though I haven't seen much of their fights. Gisele Moreira (7-2) of Brazil has some good wins, although she is 36. Taila Santos (14-0) would seem to be a good prospect, but she hasn't fought in 2017, not sure why. Sarah Frota (6-0) is pretty good, but she is like Christine Ferea's and Ediane Gomes' love child, so she doesn't have the "look". Duda Cowboyzinha (2-0) might be someone to watch. Alexandra de Cassia (3-3) is only 20, and she has losses to tough competition, plenty of time to get better.

As for Invicta, they have Sarah Kaufman, Yana Kunitskaya, Marciea Allen, Katharina Lehner, and Raquel Pa'aluhi. These 5 women have an idea of their strengths, they could probably compete in the mid to low end of 135 the UFC. Beyond those women, Pannie Kianzad, Julia Avila, Alexa Conners, Kelly Faszholz, Yaya Rincon, Sarah Kleczka are all decent. Some might need a year or two, but they are on their way up. I particularly like Rincon. I am for safe weight cutting, but if Felicia Spencer and Pam Sorensen found a way to get 135 safely, I'd include them on the list.

In Australia and South Korea respectively, Janay Harding (3-2) and Jung Yoon Choi (2-0) are alright athletes, just extremely raw talents.

Obviously not all these women will pan out to be good, but they've at least shown the ability to win fights, so it's certainly a start. This is women's Bantamweight after all.

Last edited:
Not sure how that works exactly tbf, just know she needs to be in the pool for 6 months (though that was in September I think, so she's probably far enough in to schedule a fight)
I think the 6 month thing is due to her past drug failure, but I believe she can fight on the 183rd day of being in the pool.

Karina? Before she joins her teammates in the UFC.
Or KGB Lee if she's got time before that 6 month USADA window is done for her to sign with the UFC
If Maia sticks around, I'd go Karina, or perhaps try to get Rin Nakai.

Yes. But they let Cyborg fight in Invicta and paid her damn salary. At least that way she would not have to sit out. Dern is supposedly under contract with the UFC as well (I seem to recall reading that but cannot be bothered to look it up. I am sure somebody here knows more than I do about it.)
I don't believe it has been confirmed Dern has a UFC deal, though I suspect she does, if only to keep her away from other major organizations.

Speaking of Rin Nakai, I hope KSW are able to re-schedule a fight between her and Lipski.

I think the 6 month thing is due to her past drug failure, but I believe she can fight on the 183rd day of being in the pool.

If Maia sticks around, I'd go Karina, or perhaps try to get Rin Nakai.

I don't believe it has been confirmed Dern has a UFC deal, though I suspect she does, if only to keep her away from other major organizations.

I'm doing my part

Has anyone heard anything about Calderwood's situation? She's been utterly silent since she had to pull out of the bogan fight.

Watched a few of Priscila Cachoeira's fights since it was announced. If I have seen one previously, I had forgotten it.

1. Strong for 125.
2. Throws with a lot of power.
3. Basically fights like a dock worker with a few months of training. Not much of a jab, no striking defense and wings shots in from quite a ways away. Her biggest advantage is cardio and fighting low-level comp that runs into punches.

For the first time in my life, I may actually bet on a fight.

Last edited:
Back