Official Women's Division Discussion #25

The thing about the openweights is you got to start somewhere. You can only really gain experience by fighting. So yeah, technique maybe a little sloppy to begin with; just like the women's divisions back in the day; and the men's divisions for that matter.

Any word on when this is going down?

I recall reading it would be early this year. I got the impression next month or early march but I am not sure yet. I will double check and post what I see. (Edit) After checking again still nothing with specifics on the date. Second time I have checked. Too bad. I'd like to know sooner rather then later.

(Another edit.)
I have seen this, below, on Tapology. It is the same promotion but I do not think it refers to the event in question but I figure I will post it anyways just as a reference.

Serir Mma 3

Saturday 01.20.2018 at 05:00 AM ET
Promotion: Fight Nights
Venue: Banquet Hall Naryn-Kala

I think the event in question will be Fight Night Global 83.

Should be - Liana "Mgeli" Jojua (7-2-0)

I will also include a link to an earlier post with other fights, about 5 not including one ammy, I have posted here in case you have missed them.

Just back on page 78.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/official-womens-division-discussion-25.3643955/page-78

Last edited:
I saw this and figured I would post it.

Fight Nights Global - Fighting News MMA
January 6 at 5:10am ·
1f525.png
1f4ad.png
Kamil Gadzhiyev: "Liana Jojua is one of those few girls who not only say they will win but actually can win Mohnatkina"
1f53b.png
FNG president Kamil Gadzhiev spoke on the title fight in the 61.2 kg weight category, where the multiple Sambo World champion Marina Mohnatkina will face the prospect from Georgia, Liana Jojua:
1f53b.png
"This should be a very interesting confrontation. Marina Mohnatkina is a known winner and although Jojua hasn't shown a lot yet, she still won her first fight in FNG and was publicly active. Plus Liana Jojua is one of those few girls who not only say they will win but actually can win Mohnatkina. The fight will take place early in the new year and it will be for the champion's belt!" #KamilGadzhiev #MarinaMokhnatkina #to #face #LianaJojua #for #the #FNG #belt

https://www.facebook.com/fightnight...jKXgGJJLjKFcltW4bU80555OMMS9f7dySEoICxQlaa9_o

tumblr_oereg4w5yG1vs0btuo2_r1_500.jpg

vs.

Liana Jojua - Georgian

I'm not familiar with Liana but Marina has disposed of everyone they've put in front of her. Not sure what her situation is with FNG but i'd very much like to see her fight for UFC, they need some new 135ers.

Question for @dimspace Has Cyborg been tested within a two month period immediately following a fight?
Wasn't the (overturned) PED bust from a month or two after one of her fights? Granted that may have been triggered by her turning down fight offers more than a normal scheduling...

I was also reading that King Reina will be fighting on DEEP Jewels 19 in march. I have been looking around for confirmation on that. Nothing yet but I am keeping an eye out for news on that subject.
I read she’s fighting Bobbi-Jo Dalziel. I think Reina takes a second loss in that one.

I know that Invicta is a mess right now do to titles being vacant
in all of the divisions except for Flyweight where Jennifer Maia
is the champion and the only one with more then a win in the
division is Karina Rodriguez with 2 at this point.The only other
fighters at Invicta with multiple wins are Yaya Rincon Bantamweight/
Featherweight (2) & Felicia Spencer Featherwight/Lightweight (3)
while everyone else is swapping wins & losses or yet to win or
has a win in a single appearance.

I read she’s fighting Bobbi-Jo Dalziel. I think Reina takes a second loss in that one.

I read that too but at the moment I am viewing it as rumor until further news breaks. I spent some time looking for additional information on it yesterday. Dalsziel mentioned she wanted to fight Reina on her facebook prior to Reina's fight with Cindy Dandois. One of the hints of the likelihood of the fight but not much else.

Agreed. Tough fight for the King.

I'm not familiar with Liana but Marina has disposed of everyone they've put in front of her. Not sure what her situation is with FNG but i'd very much like to see her fight for UFC, they need some new 135ers.

Marina Mohnatkina is a very tough fight for Liana Jojua, Mohnatkina has the edge in that fight in my opinion.

I personally prefer the McMann vs. Reneau matchup over both McMann vs. Kunitskaya and Evinger vs. Reneau. I think Marion has this, Sara's gonna have to be careful on the ground because Reneau could whip out a sub outta nowhere (as seen in the Andrade fight, even though that was a while back). I think if Marion wins she'll either get Evinger again or get GDR once she comes back. Hoping she puts together a line of wins because I'd love to see her step up for a title fight someday.

Anyway, for the upcoming UFC card I got: Aldana, Faria, Aldrich and Clark.

Last edited:
I personally prefer the McMann vs. Reneau matchup over both McMann vs. Kunitskaya and Evinger vs. Reneau. I think Marion has this, Sara's gonna have to be careful on the ground because Reneau could whip out a sub outta nowhere (as seen in the Andrade fight, even though that was a while back). I think if Marion wins she'll either get Evinger again or get GDR once she comes back. Hoping she puts together a line of wins because I'd love to see her step up for a title fight someday.
I dunno, when the fight goes to the ground I don't think she uses her sub game as much as i'd like her to. She had Bethe's back for most of the last round and didn't attempt one submission.

I know that Invicta is a mess right now do to titles being vacant
in all of the divisions except for Flyweight where Jennifer Maia
is the champion and the only one with more then a win in the
division is Karina Rodriguez with 2 at this point.The only other
fighters at Invicta with multiple wins are Yaya Rincon Bantamweight/
Featherweight (2) & Felicia Spencer Featherwight/Lightweight (3)
while everyone else is swapping wins & losses or yet to win or
has a win in a single appearance.

Let's not forget Maverick and Davidsdottir both 3-0

I dunno, when the fight goes to the ground I don't think she uses her sub game as much as i'd like her to. She had Bethe's back for most of the last round and didn't attempt one submission.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just hoping she gets the upset here. She's pretty decent all around, I'm just thinking McMann should be cautious on the ground. Reneau might just hold a position but I doubt McMann would want to be in that position TBH, especially if the fight goes to distance.

Marina Mohnatkina is a very tough fight for Liana Jojua, Mohnatkina has the edge in that fight in my opinion.
Liana is probably the best grappler Marina has faced, and one of the better (if not the best) strikers she's faced as well. So she might last a bit longer, and put up a good fight but Marina will probably finish her. Mokhnatkina is literally the best sambo pracioner in the world at her weight. The future seems incredibly bright for her.

Yep, it's time for her to stop pretending she's not a flyweight/bantamweight if she's serious.
I'm not sure King could ever make 125, but 135? I think it's where she needs to end up, even if she stays in Japan, at least there are options there beyond having enormous women swing at you.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just hoping she gets the upset here. She's pretty decent all around, I'm just thinking McMann should be cautious on the ground. Reneau might just hold a position but I doubt McMann would want to be in that position TBH, especially if the fight goes to distance.
McMann has probably learned to be a bit more cautious, Davis beat her up off her back, but I don't think Reneau will do that. I suspect, they strike quite a bit, and we see McMann periodically dumps Reneau.

Liana is probably the best grappler Marina has faced, and one of the better (if not the best) strikers she's faced as well. So she might last a bit longer, and put up a good fight but Marina will probably finish her. Mokhnatkina is literally the best sambo pracioner in the world at her weight. The future seems incredibly bright for her.

I'm not sure King could ever make 125, but 135? I think it's where she needs to end up, even if she stays in Japan, at least there are options there beyond having enormous women swing at you.

McMann has probably learned to be a bit more cautious, Davis beat her up off her back, but I don't think Reneau will do that. I suspect, they strike quite a bit, and we see McMann periodically dumps Reneau.

I like Liana Jojua, she is a solid fighter and I have to agree she is probably the toughest test Marina Mohnatkina has yet come up against in MMA. Yet Mohnatkina ought to be the favorite when they fight. I would like to see the both of them get into bigger shows.

Mohnatkina might be able to side step Invicta but I think Jojua would benefit from fighting there.

--
For King Reina I want her to start a journey towards fighting at 145lbs and see how that goes. If it works out she should consider looking at 135lbs afterwards.

There are 7-8 times more women to fight at bantamweight then featherweight at the moment.

--
Watching McMann fight Ketlen Vieira was instructive to me.

McMann made a critical mistake after bailing on her takedown attempt on Nunes when they fought, she did not clinch with her, instead she started throwing punches, got one good one in against Nunes. In trading punches Nunes took over and won the fight of course. McMann should have clinched with Nunes and worked on her there.

In fighting Vieira McMann went early and often to clinching. She made another critical mistake in becoming predictable in her elbow strikes from the clinch, throwing too much into them, and getting herself thrown to the ground and finished.

In fighting Reneau I expect McMann to be cautious and look for clinching and takedowns. Avoid throwing down too much but for dirty boxing for a moment to get to clinching.

Definitely a fight I am interested in seeing. I am wondering if McMann will continue to find ways of goofing up her fights or if she will turn a corner and put a string of wins together.

Per a press release, Nunes, a former Invicta fighter, will be assisting in matchmaking and scouting talent in Brazil and the U.S. Southeast.

Nice

McMann made a critical mistake after bailing on her takedown attempt on Nunes when they fought, she did not clinch with her, instead she started throwing punches, got one good one in against Nunes. In trading punches Nunes took over and won the fight of course. McMann should have clinched with Nunes and worked on her there.

In fighting Vieira McMann went early and often to clinching. She made another critical mistake in becoming predictable in her elbow strikes from the clinch, throwing too much into them, and getting herself thrown to the ground and finished.

In fighting Reneau I expect McMann to be cautious and look for clinching and takedowns. Avoid throwing down too much but for dirty boxing for a moment to get to clinching.

Definitely a fight I am interested in seeing. I am wondering if McMann will continue to find ways of goofing up her fights or if she will turn a corner and put a string of wins together.

Did you see the expression on McMann's face when she got taken down? Surprised would be the polite way to put it, as the term "panic" has been overused here of late. That was the beginning of the end. McMann has one other issue: she is too nice. She is one of the best athletes in WMMA, but deep down, something limits her from just plain putting a hurting on someone at all costs, which is what she needs to make it to where she could be. Too bad, as I like her.

I know where Amanda Nunes will be a big help
at Invicta is translating for the Brazilians much like
what Kaline Medeiros does.

I'm kinda split in that one, i really like both fighters but i should root for Reneau, i think she has better chances against the top bantamweights right now, due to styles. Agreed about Sara being too nice, she has that Cerrone problem in struggling with getting hit and keeping her gameplan aswell. I think this pics say a lot about her personality, inside or outside the cage. Still one of my favorites and it's a shame most people don't respect her and others just because of the Ronda loss.

saramcmann.jpg

51208889.jpg

010914-UFC-Sara-McMann-PI-JN.jpg

Back