Official Women's Division Discussion Thread #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van Zant still can't throw punches correctly standing, but she does have that Randy Couture grind it out against the fence thing going on. She is good at clinched takedowns. Would like to see her get some ground submission game going. Maybe watch Rousey videos on loop and work on armbars.

If I was the UFC I would still be giving Van Zant lower ranked fighters to fight. I think #8 Herrig was already too high to go. It worked out OK, but let her have as long a run as possible with lower echelon 115's. Give your star wins.

Indeed, most people who watch the sport picked Herrig. Most people who just compare photos of the two and add comments like, "Paige is way hotter. Would bang!" chose PVZ. Sadly, Sherdog has more of the latter, thus, PVZ won that poll by a wide margin.

@Arkain2: Asking for a coherent post from the Cybernetics is a pretty tall order. Better to just ignore and move on to better posts.

Jarl

30-26 bud. I have wiped the floor with you in every pick contest. Just give it up.

That must be why 60% of Sherdog voted for VanZant, while Herrig got 40%. And yes, "Herrig" is how her last name is spelled.

Try to contribute something worthwhile, or atleast say something that actually make sense, the next time you enter this thread.

Great call on Harrig. She only gave up one 10-8 round.

Here is my contribution

PnVaN4D.png

stay mad

Too bad you missed the first round. Herrig looked decent in that round as would be expected.

She got the better of VanZant in the striking getting in some good punches. VanZant showed she's improved some but still has problems in the standup.

The clinch fighting against the fence in the first round was fairly even. Herrig took VanZant down several times and went for submissions, lost position, fought off bad positions herself. Etc. First round was actually very close but I tended to favor VanZant, mostly due to getting the better of Herrig on the ground - ultimately.

Herrig kept doing dumb stuff and was mostly spent by round 3.

After the dumb moves Herrig made in the first rounds, playing into VanZant's strengths, I figured she'd go down to defeat.

Again. Congrats on VanZant.

I've often thought well of her but its hard to say where she's at. Her last two opponents, like her first two opponents, seemed to have assumed they'd run her over. Were looking past her. Or so it seems.

Thanks a lot man, I just got home and started catching up on my DVR now, hahaha.

Oh look, time for the Official Women's Divisions' Discussions #15! :D

I think Rose would catch her in a sub, if she didn't out-strike her on the feet.
No doubt Rose would out strike her on the feet, but she sure as hell isn't going to knock PVZ out and will eventually get clinched and put on the ground. As for a submission it would certainly be possible as she was close to being submitted today, but I just think Paige is too strong in her top control and it could look similar to what happened to Rose against Carla.

Thanks a lot man, I just got home and started catching up on my DVR now, hahaha.

Oh look, time for the Official Women's Divisions' Discussions #15! :D

Ack. Enjoy the fights.

New thread coming up.

Here's a hight light of Liz Tracy's fight with Maria Rios.

Tracy's weigh in photo. Jemyma's weigh in at 124lbs on the same weighing machine.

11138673_1597593620498375_2519397812636479670_n.jpg
lo7.jpg

I wish that picture wasn't at an angle. Most information suggested this fight would be at 125lbs but someone claims it is at 115lbs. It seems that photos is closer to 120lbs, and her opponent missed weight, but the angle could make it seem heavier than it really is.

--
Walker's weigh in for her fight earlier this week at Alaska Fighting Championship at 115lbs.

11009157_808887662532529_5713700697918442042_n.jpg

Last edited:
Van Zant still can't throw punches correctly standing, but she does have that Randy Couture grind it out against the fence thing going on. She is good at clinched takedowns. Would like to see her get some ground submission game going. Maybe watch Rousey videos on loop and work on armbars.

If I was the UFC I would still be giving Van Zant lower ranked fighters to fight. I think #8 Herrig was already too high to go. It worked out OK, but let her have as long a run as possible with lower echelon 115's. Give your star wins.

Vaz Zant is actually pretty dangerous with arm bars already. If you watch her against Curran, every time Curran would hit a takedown she would find herself fending off an arm bar. Vanzant's ground game is impressive. She's very athletic and fluid down there. Apart from when she gave up her back forcing that head lock throw, she dominated Herrig.

I don't think she is awesome with takedowns, although she's getting better. She's a grinder like you say. What makes her tough is her pace, high work rate and conditioning. She wore Herrig down, and Herrig is known for her strength and conditioning work.

Obviously her striking at distance has a long way to go.

Vaz Zant is actually pretty dangerous with arm bars already. If you watch her against Curran, every time Curran would hit a takedown she would find herself fending off an arm bar. Vanzant's ground game is impressive. She's very athletic and fluid down there. Apart from when she gave up her back forcing that head lock throw, she dominated Herrig.

I don't think she is awesome with takedowns, although she's getting better. She's a grinder like you say. What makes her tough is her pace, high work rate and conditioning. She wore Herrig down, and Herrig is known for her strength and conditioning work.

Obviously her striking at distance has a long way to go.

I've always been impressed with her clinchwork (improving too) and her ground game (also improving). Great to see it in a young fighter. She still needs lots of work but she makes the most of it.

When Herrig started bulking up I was wondering if that would affect her cardio a bit in a high pace fight. Plus she's faded some in a few fights; I tend to think of her fight with Simona Soukupova - coasting in the past maybe.

Last edited:
Her last two opponents, like her first two opponents, seemed to have assumed they'd run her over. Were looking past her. Or so it seems.

Curran, I've heard, was ahead of VanZant on the scorecards before she got finished. Herrig survived until the end, but never won a round. So this fight raises my evaluation of Curran.

Curran, I've heard, was ahead of VanZant on the scorecards before she got finished. Herrig survived until the end, but never won a round. So this fight raises my evaluation of Curran.

Yep. I've often pointed out to people that Currran won that first round. I'm not sure about the second round; I think VanZant was ahead in that round. So 1-1 going into the third round.

Curran is actually a capable fighter but she didn't alter her strategy to fit VanZant's gameplan, nor did she seem really prepared for VanZant in general.

Curran kept trying to break away to strike with VanZant but didn't have the technique and movement and punching power to make that stick but she could get VanZant to the ground with ease due to how hard VanZant was following her. Almost running at times after her to avoid striking much, just tossing a few punches to get into clinching distance a few times.

I had something else on my mind on that subject but I forget.

Need to make a new thread. This one is over the limit now.

--

Link to the new thread.

Last edited:

I would have given the first round to Herrig. She had Van Zant in trouble a few times. If I remember right, Van Zant was on top and punching at the bell and that probably influenced the judges.

Good fight, but disapointing since I was definitely rooting for Felice. I thought she was absolutely piecing her up on the feet, but tired rather and that allowed Paige to use the "Randy Couture" style that tired her further and she just didn't have anything left when that started.

Felice kept going for the back. Numerous times in round 2 she could've made it to guard and dropped some ground and pound and atleast once could have taken mount but opted for the back instead. She tries her utmost to finish and it failed her in that fight. Excited to see what she returns with.

By the start of the first round Felice looked like she was moving underwater, not what I anticipated.

Great call on Harrig. She only gave up one 10-8 round.

Here is my contribution

PnVaN4D.png

stay mad

This dude is getting added to my ignore list. Absolutely nothing they say is relevant or worth a damn, then posts a picture where he bet on a favourite and a guy most people were picking anyway and thinks it's an achievement

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back