Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall her having an mma fight that went for that long although I think she prepared for one once. I'd love to find a good source on some of her other combat experience.

I read some stuff on her once but it was on a forum and that just does not qualify to get a proper sense of what she has done and what she has prepared for.

If you refer to Karolina title fights in KSW, KSW title fights are always 3-rounders with an eventual 4th round in case of draw.

Btw agree on Grasso, ranking-wise and with the opponents she beated I think the right next step for her is a title eliminator vs. Eggink (if they wanna give her a shorter path to a title shot due to having a great battle vs. Katja) or a brazilian talent like Livinha or Ericka.
Then I would make Katja vs. Karolina for the title, Moyle vs. Aldrich, Greenway vs. Geugjes, Mizuki vs. Owen.

Re; Ilima-Lei Macfarlane, here's her fight against Stephanie Houser from early in the year, unfortunately the video quality isn't great but still worthy of a watch imo

[YT]SOpTBS3D0SE[/YT]

Looking forward to seeing her pro debut

^^^^^ Hey Muffin,,, what's with the dubs ?

BYW, I tend to agree with what you're saying about Joanna and Claudia, I ew-watched the Joanna vs Lima fight yesterday

Joanna still, as you said, looking strong fast and sharp at the end of the third

Should be good

Haha. Got dubbed because I spilled spoilers on the TUF20 pbp, you can't even do that on spoiler tags so I got dubs.

I don't care much but I wanted to switch my AV to support Joanna in her saturday fight, but oh well.

Haha. Got dubbed because I spilled spoilers on the TUF20 pbp, you can't even do that on spoiler tags so I got dubs.

I don't care much but I wanted to switch my AV to support Joanna in her saturday fight, but oh well.

you've got her in the signature, at least. go joanna!!! :)

(once again, sucky on the dubs. :icon_sad:)

Forgot to watch the show, but from the Sherdog recap, the Esparza/Penne fight was mostly on the feet. Go figure.

Forgot to watch the show, but from the Sherdog recap, the Esparza/Penne fight was mostly on the feet. Go figure.

Esparza got a good number of takedowns but she couldn't get to side control and she didn't want to hang out in Penne's guard. The fight was stood up the only time Esparza attempted to work ground and pound for any length of time from Penne's guard.

Esparza attempted to get to side control several times during her takedown attempts but Penne was too savy for that.

If you refer to Karolina title fights in KSW, KSW title fights are always 3-rounders with an eventual 4th round in case of draw.

I'm pretty sure that was something else. I don't have hard information on that and the post I saw was from a while ago. That's why I'm a little shy on making comments on the topic. I have a vague memory of an interview with her about her strength and conditioning that I saw some time ago now, heading towards two years.

Overall Kowalkiewicz seems to have been okay for cardio though with only her fight with Mizuki to suggest that she might tire in a long fight but that was a totally different kind of fight then she is likely to have with Kankaanpaa.

Btw agree on Grasso, ranking-wise and with the opponents she beated I think the right next step for her is a title eliminator vs. Eggink (if they wanna give her a shorter path to a title shot due to having a great battle vs. Katja) or a brazilian talent like Livinha or Ericka.

Then I would make Katja vs. Karolina for the title, Moyle vs. Aldrich, Greenway vs. Geugjes, Mizuki vs. Owen.

I wouldn't mind Grasso fighting Eggink but I'd like Eggink to get a fight with someone else, probably one of the Brazilians would be good. I guess they could go with Mizuki vs. Eggink, both are coming off a loss.

Eggink is 4-2 at this point. I tend to want her to get a few more wins and build up her record before fighting for the title again although she was winning a good deal of that fight, she was ultimately finished.

Tough call and I won't be too disappointed no matter what happens other then Eggink not getting another fight fairly soon.
--

10849811_872244392815600_9160443295909653895_n.jpg

1-10 Rocks Extreme MMA 11
125 Audrey Alvarez (2-0-0) US vs. Stacey Sigala (1-2-0) US
135 Leigh Shultis (0-0-0) US vs. Robin Wissmann (0-0-0) US
105 Jessica Philippus (0-1-0) US vs. Cat Ginorio (0-0-0) US
125 Katie Howard (3-3-0) US vs. Kathina Catron (5-5-0) US
115 Maylene (Bellino) Estudillo (1-0-0) US vs. Jessica McCormick (0-0-0) US
115?/125? Julia Jones (1-0-0) US vs. Alyssa Garcia (0-0-0) US

It is about time to make a new thread.

Link to new Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #13

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=101289893#post101289893

8ZR0Bx2.png

Last edited:
I don't agree that Kankaanpaa will necessarily win the clinch fighting. That is an assumption. I do tend to see Kankaanpaa as having an edge in the clinch but it is not necessarily a dominant edge.

You are just making a strawman argument now. I didnt say Katja will necessarily win the clinch fighting. I said she should be the rightfull favourite if we agree that clinching and fighting against the cage will likely be a big part in that fight. Being the favourite and something happening with a certainty are two completely different things.

Kowalkiewicz has knocked down opponents, Soukupova, one that she has in common with Kankaanpaa no less. I previously pointed that fight out.

You might as well assume Kowalkiewicz will knockdown Kankaanpaa if they engage in a striking match for any length of time. (I don't assume a knockdown will happen but I'm pointing out what assumptions can do in these kinds of situations.)

I shouldnt assume that because there arent enough reasons to believe that is likely. Just because we are talking about assumptions doesnt mean all assumptions are based on equally credible arguments. We can say its more likely Karolina will knockdown Katja than the opposite, but thats different than assuming Karolina will (likely) knockdown Katja. There are a much more credible arguments to suggest that Katja is likely going to get takedowns or/and have and edge in grappling.

Or that Kowalkiewicz will be able to outwork Kankaanpaa on her feet, keeping the takedown attempts and clinch attempts to a minimum. Or push out of a clinch quickly if one develops.

Im sure she will try, the question is how likely she will succeed. It has usually been very difficult for Katjas opponents.

The fight was 1/1 going into the third round. Calderwood won the third round in fairly dominant fashion to win that fight, Kankaanpaa was looking worn out by Calderwood's striking towards the end of that round.

It wasnt a dominant round at all. Just because the commentary was horribly biased doesnt mean it wasnt a relatively close round when you score it objectively. I have watched that round in slowmotion too and counted every strike both landed.

I'm not interested in this discussion anymore. In the context of not being interested in doing a complete breakdown of a fight that is not official yet, although fair to think it will happen, and having mentioned it is a quick response, I've covered enough territory to have answered your questions as far as I'm interested.

Thats funny, I havent asked you a single question about this match up.

So did Namajunas eventually shake her hand? Has Esparza always been listed at 5'1" ? I seem to recall 5'3".

20141211053404_1DX_9103.JPG

Last edited:
So did Namajunas eventually shake her hand?

After watching the weigh-in video there was really nothing to that picture. Namajunas raised her arms right away and brought them down and shook Esparza's hand as soon as she saw it extended.

Namajunas did throw some punches and do a karate yell as Esparza was walking over for the face off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back