Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #13

Thirdpres

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Link to beginning of the old thread.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f61/official-womens-mma-discussion-thread-12-a-2831545/

carla_esparza2_tuf_20_getty.jpg

Mods - Sticky please.

Thanks!

Upcoming fights this weekend.

2-20 LOP - Fight Night at Sportsmen's Lodge
125 Liz Tracy (0-0-0) US vs. Angela Hancock (0-0-0) US
125? Jemyma Betrian (1-0-0) NL (US) vs. TBD

2-21 105? Rosa Acevedo (2-1-0) US vs. Amanda Lovato (0-1-0) US at LCS 20.

2-21 125 Zita Varju (0-1-0) HU 2/14 vs. Danella Eliasov (0-0-0) ZA at EFC, South Africa.

2-21 105 Irene Cabello (2-2-0) ES vs. La

Last edited:
Strawweight Magdalena Sormova (2-0-0) CZ is off this weekend's GCF - Gladiator Championship Fighting 29 (Czech Republic). Her opponent suffered an injury a few weeks ago and they haven't been able to find a replacement even after looking at higher weight classes.

1939695_1126004770848346_5347368370526379922_n.jpg

--

Slugfest 2 - Wrzesnia - Poland
125 Malgorzata Smaczniak (0-0-0) PL vs. Katarzyna Urban (0-0-0) PL (Ended up an ammy fight.)

New fights found to add the those happening above.

12-13 125? Roxane Teixeira (4-2-0) FR* vs. Daria Chibisova (0-1-0) US at WWFC - Cage Encounter 2, Moldova.

12-18 125? Deize Mayelem de Lima Araujo (4-3-0) BR vs. Amanda Oliveira de Lemos (2-0-0) BR at Jungle Fight 75, Brazil.

12-20 125 Vitoria Ferreira (0-0-0) BR vs. Joana Roza (0-0-0) Warrior Challenge 9 - Finale, Brazil.

Ferreira has a good ammy record at 6-1. All 6 wins by T(KO). The loss is an overturned fight by the promoter.

image_crop.php

* I'm going to be adding a good number of French fighters in my next update of the Women's MMA List by Weight Class thread. Plus a Belgian.

Last edited:
@ Thirdpres

these are the results for the Colosseum in the Cage 2 event in Italy:

http://www.colosseum-badboys.it/wordpress/archives/907

Rebecca Balia (team: Promosport Nuoro) def. Marta Carini (team: Yama Arashi Piacenza)
Majority Decision
/ Unified Rules without elbows

Mara Emerita Romero Mendieta (team: KBJJS Brescia) def. Donatella Panu (team: Real sport Gym)
Submission (armbar) @ 4:00 r1

Trivia:
- Donatella Panu is a European K-1 Rules champ
- Mara Emerita Romero Mendieta is an italian born in Puerto Rico. She fought @ 65 kg (FW), I dunno the weight limit of this last fight. Also still I can't understand if her and MMA world champ and judo black belt Mara Borella are the same person :D

@ Thirdpres

these are the results for the Colosseum in the Cage 2 event in Italy:

http://www.colosseum-badboys.it/wordpress/archives/907

Rebecca Balia (team: Promosport Nuoro) def. Marta Carini (team: Yama Arashi Piacenza)
Majority Decision

Mara Emerita Romero Mendieta (team: KBJJS Brescia) def. Donatella Panu (team: Real sport Gym)
Submission (armbar) @ 4:00 r1

Trivia:
- Donatella Panu is a European K-1 Rules champ
- Mara Emerita Romero Mendieta is an italian born in Puerto Rico. She fought @ 65 kg (FW), I dunno the weight limit of this last fight. Also still I can't understand if her and MMA world champ and judo black belt Mara Borella are the same person :D

Haha. Thanks. 8)

That information jibes with what I'd read but it is more specific as far as the time and type of win, submission.

Good to know more about Donatella. I knew she was a K-1 Rules kickboxer and suspected she was a champion but it is good to know that for certain.

I've been wondering about Mara too. I've seen her listed as Borella myself but when I was looking over other information I couldn't find a reference to her being Borella, only Mara Emerita Romero Mendieta. At least I'm not the only one left wondering about that bit of information.

I'd seen Mendieta had fought at featherweight. I was wondering if she fought at featherweight due to that being her walking around weight. I still don't know. (Thinking of a different fight in reference to flyweight. Getting late at night, tired.)

Thanks again for keeping an eye out for that information.

Last edited:
Damn

Rose is an overwhelming favorite over Carla.

Somebody should bet some on Carla.

go joanna! :cool:

10750289_10152959175349254_548792962009465324_o.jpg

Looking good.

8)

If this is a title eliminator will it end up being a five round fight? Just curious. The UFC does that.

--
Damn

Rose is an overwhelming favorite over Carla.

Somebody should bet some on Carla.

Weird how people are so big on Rose Namajunas but she does have a fun style and can end a fight quick if given the chance.

There are a few other fights that are probably closer then the betting lines would suggest.

--

I enjoy so many of these fighters and think well of a good deal of them. It is sometimes though to want to out and out cheer for one over the other. Trying to get the bottom of who might with a fight is one thing but going for one over the other is tough.

I want good fights, people being healthy, and doing their best.

--
I just noticed I'd goofed up Calderwood's nationality for her fight tonight. Fixed.

Last edited:
I'm off to a small local show next week where two female fighters are making their debuts. No idea what their names are and probably won't until I get there but I'll be recording just incase it's something to write home about in terms of prospects.

super excited for the upcoming fights and claudia vs joanna.

Hoping joanna gets the win(although if rose wins I kind of want to see claudia vs rose to see if rose can sub a bjj champ that outweigh her by so much) but man I think this is probably the toughest match up for her, at least top 3 hardest. The fact that shes only a 2-1 underdog shows that ppl are giving her a lot of credit. But maybe a little over optimistic this is 3 round which give less time to work on claudia's cardio and we don't even know if joanna can survive on the ground at all if taken down. But I would be really impressed if she can defend the td or get up. Also I didn't know joanna was relatively that tall(5'6) hmm must be her constant arched pose and claudia is only 5'3 interesting.

About grasso/mizuki/egglink/karo match up I too would really like to see mizuki vs egglink as mentioned before(for the next title shot) both coming off loses but egglink was doing very well and mizuki fight was real close. Grasso vs mizuki would be super cool but grasso coming off a strong win I think the above match up makes more sense at this time.

About karo vs katja initial thought was katja would be around 2-1 favorite maybe more but after thinking about it I can see it being closer still would favor Katja due to style/5rounds.

Although Kowalkiewicz was tired after her fight with Inoue that was a real fast paced fight for Kowalkiewicz, she threw close to three times as many strikes. That'll tired a person out.

that is a very good point and Kowalkiewicz doesn't need to fight that style vs katja but the grappling/clinch grind may still drain her.

side note
Guys I feeling lucky should I bet bank on parley of magana(+540) and ham(+515) winning if you win this one you will pretty much be set for life :). what do you guys think?

I'm off to a small local show next week where two female fighters are making their debuts. No idea what their names are and probably won't until I get there but I'll be recording just incase it's something to write home about in terms of prospects.

Thanks. If you can remember the name of the show lets us know. I'll do some research and see if I can find anything else out.

super excited for the upcoming fights and claudia vs joanna.

Hoping joanna gets the win(although if rose wins I kind of want to see claudia vs rose to see if rose can sub a bjj champ that outweigh her by so much) but man I think this is probably the toughest match up for her, at least top 3 hardest. The fact that shes only a 2-1 underdog shows that ppl are giving her a lot of credit. But maybe a little over optimistic this is 3 round which give less time to work on claudia's cardio and we don't even know if joanna can survive on the ground at all if taken down. But I would be really impressed if she can defend the td or get up. Also I didn't know joanna was relatively that tall(5'6) hmm must be her constant arched pose and claudia is only 5'3 interesting.

I like them both so I'll be happy with either winning. I'd tend to favor Gadelha in this matchup in that I don't think Joanna Jedrzejczyk has as good as a ground game as Tina Lahdemaki. I'd felt Lahdemaki probably was strong enough on the ground to not get finished. That is much harder to say about Jedrzejczyk.

Jedrzejczyk does hit harder then Lahdemaki and has better takedown defense though. Those are some critical advantages over what Lahdemaki had going for her.

Many people were thinking Jedrejczyk couldn't make 115lbs but she did. Much like Gadelha making weight twice now. Or is that three times. I think the weigh in has happened now. (I have a party I'm getting the house ready for. Missing stuff.)

I'm curious how Gadelha's change in weight cutting effects her for this fight.

About grasso/mizuki/egglink/karo match up I too would really like to see mizuki vs egglink as mentioned before(for the next title shot) both coming off loses but egglink was doing very well and mizuki fight was real close. Grasso vs mizuki would be super cool but grasso coming off a strong win I think the above match up makes more sense at this time.

About karo vs katja initial thought was katja would be around 2-1 favorite maybe more but after thinking about it I can see it being closer still would favor Katja due to style/5rounds.

I like Mizuki vs. Eggink.* Grasso vs. a Brazilian (preference to Souza). Kowalkiewicz vs. Kankaanpaa.

* I wouldn't mind seeing Eggink get a fight to help even out her record prior to fighting Mizuki. If she doesn't fight in February for Invicta I hope she gets a fight elsewhere.

As for odds I'd initially been thinking Kankaanpaa ought to be the favorite but I dialed back on that thought. In the back of my mind I'd still favoring her a little bit but I don't want to make assumptions on where the clinch will go and that is probably one of the more important places that that fight will be determined.

What I find to be a sticking point is that Kowalkiewicz is much faster then Kankaanpaa's previous opponents. Only Calderwood is somewhat on a similar level of speed. Calderwood might hit harder though.

that is a very good point and Kowalkiewicz doesn't need to fight that style vs katja but the grappling/clinch grind may still drain her.

I'm wondering about the grind of a fight too. It has to stay there and Kankaanpaa has to be getting the better of the offense in the clinch if that goes there. Totally different fight then Mizuki though.

side note
Guys I feeling lucky should I bet bank on parley of magana(+540) and ham(+515) winning if you win this one you will pretty much be set for life :). what do you guys think?

Magana is a fairly good bet. I do tend to favor Torres a bit but Magana is capable of winning that fight.

I feel fairly good about Calderwood getting the win though but it is worth risking some against her. For little risk there is a good reward there.

Good luck.

Kagan is actually a decent bet. Hrm. Ellis is a little underrated on the betting side of things. Fairly tough matchup. If Ellis is in top form it will likely go badly for Herrig but Herrig is solid, strong, and capable.

--
Comments:

Hill did great. Kagan didn't preform, she didn't attack the legs until the end of the fight. Going into that fight Hill was the stronger fighter with a good background in MT yet that is where Kagan's takedown attacks went for most of the fight.

Daly gets the win. First round submission. Armbar. Alex Chambers fought tough though.

Don't know if I'll keep posting for the rest of the card. I don't like posting while watching TV.

Magana isn't much bothering trying to get the fight to the ground. Tough luck Underdogftw. Magana, like Kagan, needed to get the fight to the ground.

Last edited:
came late missed the first two fights :( so is hill legit? I expected kagan to go takedown/walling.

edit man torres looking much better now in real matches. and did her striking style change/improve some what?

if rose keeps title for like 1 to 2 fights I see ufc setting up a rematch here torres has good style to give rose very tough fight. Rose biggest weakness is against strikers on par/better at striking than her with decent tdd.

Ham at +535 hmm I think it's pretty close not much value here. darn wanted to bet on +2.5 rounds only at -113 really good odds for sw and ham is tough to finish but posted bet too late :(.

good fight so far pretty intense hehe.
expect ham to come out strong in the 3rd.

Well Ham did better than most thought, expected jojo to go for that clinch wall style earlier for an easier fight.

Last edited:
came late missed the first two fights :( so is hill legit? I expected kagan to go takedown/walling.

Kagan spent too much time striking and when she did put the fight into the fence she was trying top side takedowns rather then attacking the legs. Only at the end of the fight did Kagan attack the legs and got Hill down twice for the effort.

Hill has always been a solid prospect and Kagan a suspect upper mid level fighter. With Kagan fighting more to Hill's strengths it ended up very one sided.

Edit: Hill did knee Kagan in the head, while grounded, in the middle of round one and hit the back of her head a time or two. Ref. called Hill on the head strike but missed the knee to the head.

Torres beat the stuffing out of Magana and even tried to finish the fight a few times. That is a nice development. Magana eat a ton of shots. Magana just didn't try hard for the takedowns or tie up enough. Torres is too elusive to not commit to getting the fight to the ground. Carla Esparza, two time all-American, had a tough time getting her down.

Last edited:
Saw Shannon clapping like a proud mom during the replay of the Calderwood face kick.

Saw Shannon clapping like a proud mom during the replay of the Calderwood face kick.

Yeah. That fight went much as people thought it would but Ham proved she is tough.

Nice to see Shannon Knaap in there.

8)

Last edited:
Good luck Bec!

Tight fight.

--

Clark gets the win. 29-28. Bit of fence grabbing by Clark though.

Herrig gets the win by Armbar in round 2. Nice fight on the ground. Ellis, mostly, got the fight there but was a little too aggressive with her attempts at advancing and subbing Herrig.

Great win for Herrig.

Last edited:
Calderwood vs Ham was such a great technical striking fight. So happy for my JO!!!

what the fuck is wrong with Joanna?

MadHonoredIbizanhound.gif

The fuck is she doing? That's just strange

Calderwood vs Ham was such a great technical striking fight. So happy for my JO!!!

Agreed. It was fun to see but for the size difference and even then it was still great technique on display.

--

Penne gets a split decision win over Markos. Great fight.

Markos made a mistake looking to get the fight to the ground in the first round and later taking the fight to the ground middle-late in the second round.

I figured Markos would try and keep the fight standing and use her wrestling to try and keep it standing. Markos has half-way decent standup, not technical but she throws them with some power. With her size and strength advantage she could have won that fight if she had been more aware of keeping it standing.

More experience for Markos and she will probably know better and be better.

I'd favored Penne, somewhat, in that fight though and she did what she needed to on the ground other then not finishing Markos.

Sort of strange that Penne had been the underdog going in but for the size disadvantage. Hrm. I think the odds started to even out after Markos had pulled ahead on that front.

Back