Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #13

AFC-114-Knockout-MS-Poster-11x17-PRINT-370x572.jpg

Women's Lightweight bout:
Denali Barnett (0-0) vs. Jennifer Johnston (1-1)

Denali Barnett

10460620_10153170009289411_7742773531767262302_o.jpg

Jennifer Johnston

11034411_10153170008924411_2135932969560863877_o.jpg

11026072_10153170009609411_5725464695966846019_o.jpg

10842091_10153170009769411_3357688660940639724_o.jpg

Not sure what they weighed in at though.

AFC-115-Knudsen-v-Young-11x17-PRINT-REVISED-370x572.jpg

Women's Flyweight Championship bout:
Nikki Knudsen (2-2) vs. Michelle Young (1-0)

Women's Strawweight bout:
Katie Halley (1-0) vs. Gabby Walker

Looks like the UFC will be signing Grasso here pretty soon.

Dana just tweeted this:

If you don't know about her yet U WILL!!! 115lb BAD ASS @AlexaGrasso is awesome! @ufc #UFC

yeaaaaaaaaaaah boy.

All aboard the train!

It had to happen soon or later. Can Invicta keep Aldana a little while longer, though? Please, Dana!

Jarl

Yes! Amped! Hope she dominates whoever they put in their against her in Mexico.

Who's left in the division that doesn't have a fight?

Jessica Penne
Randa Markos
Angela Magana
Emily Kagan
Justine Kish (still recovering from surgery)

Have I forgotten anybody?

Jessica Penne
Randa Markos
Angela Magana
Emily Kagan

Yes and she's not happy:

2igjaxw.jpg

I don't want them to give Lisa to Grasso though, because I want Lisa to win a fight :icon_cry2

Bec would be the best match to showcase Grasso IMO, although she has a match with Ham coming up a month before the Mexico card...

...they'll probably give her Lisa :icon_cry2

Jessica Penne
Randa Markos
Angela Magana
Emily Kagan

I think Heather Jo Clark, Lisa Ellis, Tina Lahdemaki and Julianna Lima have no fight booked.
But I'm not sure if any of these are out for injury/surgery... I think at least Heather probably is, due to her knee.

Out of those you listed, I'd say Magana is probably the best fight if they want to build Grasso up. People know Magana from TUF, she's easy to root against and should a beatable opponent. Same goes for Kagan (except the easy-to-root-against part).
Markos might be risky and I think Penne probably subs her.

btw, Justine Kish - does anyone think she may be switching weightclasses and go up to BW? On TUF she always looked pretty big compared to the others.

Out of those you listed, I'd say Magana is probably the best fight if they want to build Grasso up.

I think Magana may also have some heritage connection to Mexico. The name is Hispanic, and she said that she made delicious Mexican food to feed her friends in the the TUF house during TUF 20.

Grasso teeing off on Magana`s face? Hmmmm, yeah, that will definitely put her over with UFC fans (to borrow the pro-wrestling expression)! Book it! :D

Jarl

P.S. How about Ellis vs. Waterson?

Finally, an ally! If you ever find yourself in southern Honshu, Japan - let me know, I`ll buy you a beer. But be warned, Mizkreant, Tate has a lot of fans on this thread. As you can see, they keep twisting my arm to get me to say she`s great...but much like she did in the first Rousey fight, I`m blocking out the pain and not tapping. You bring up a good point: If Tate hadn`t beaten Coenen, then her best win is...McMann?

Jarl
I don't think I'll make it to Japan in the near future, but I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Tate won over McMann because luckily for her Sara turned out to have no jujitsu game off of her back whatsoever. I already conceded that Tate's wrestling is above average, and that helped her win this fight. I'll have to rewatch it, but when it ended I felt that Sara should've won that fight and just gave it away. Take the McMann fight away and her most impressive wins are against Carmouche or Kedzie, both journeywomen.

Was just about to post that.

When I heard during the stream that Dana was in the house, I immediately knew he'd have a promotional boner for Alexa.

Let's see:
  • Good fighter
  • Pretty
  • Mexican
  • Speaks English

Jessica Penne
Randa Markos
Angela Magana
Emily Kagan

Kish would be a fun standup fight but doubt she'd be ready. They'd probably want a known name so I'd go with Penne or Markos. Though she likely would KO Angela and be able to let lose that Mexican fury from her hands.

I think Heather Jo Clark, Lisa Ellis, Tina Lahdemaki and Julianna Lima have no fight booked.
But I'm not sure if any of these are out for injury/surgery... I think at least Heather probably is, due to her knee.

Out of those you listed, I'd say Magana is probably the best fight if they want to build Grasso up. People know Magana from TUF, she's easy to root against and should a beatable opponent. Same goes for Kagan (except the easy-to-root-against part).
Markos might be risky and I think Penne probably subs her.

btw, Justine Kish - does anyone think she may be switching weightclasses and go up to BW? On TUF she always looked pretty big compared to the others.

Yeah Clark and Lahdemaki are out due to injury. Lahdemaki injured her knee not too long after her fight with Gadelha.

Tate won over McMann because luckily for her Sara turned out to have no jujitsu game off of her back whatsoever. I already conceded that Tate's wrestling is above average, and that helped her win this fight. I'll have to rewatch it, but when it ended I felt that Sara should've won that fight and just gave it away. Take the McMann fight away and her most impressive wins are against Carmouche or Kedzie, both journeywomen.

Beating Coenen for the Strikeforce title was more impressive win that beating Kedzie.

Take the Tate fight away and Zingano's most impressive wins are against Nunes and Pennington, both journeywomen.

Yeah Clark and Lahdemaki are out due to injury. Lahdemaki injured her knee not too long after her fight with Gadelha.

there was another surgery involving her wrist, but she posted about it quite some time ago...haven't heard anything else about it, so maybe she got that one out of the way, at least.

Beating Coenen for the Strikeforce title was more impressive win that beating Kedzie.

Take the Tate fight away and Zingano's most impressive wins are against Nunes and Pennington, both journeywomen.

the honchak win was a good one for cat, and very entertaining too. :)

Back