Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #6

Great set of stats, Leek.

And I agree with everything Taichou has added here...except he seems to be a fan of Lena "The Dirty Streetfighter" Ovchynnikova.:)

I just got back from my vacation and haven`t checked in on Sherdog for 10 days or so. I thought there would be more buzz on this thread about: A) WSOF going all out to make a women`s division and signing fighters that should have signed with Invicta! B)Why don`t we know anything about Invicta 8 yet? C) The two awesome women`s bouts (finally) added to the UFC schedule D) The recent re-emergence of Sara McMann.

Jarl

A) I have heard nothing about this. I have actually tried to watch WSOF a couple of times, and both times I have failed to find a broadcast of it. They also pissed me off when they put the GOAT female fighter, Michelle Waterson on their website and never had her fight. However, Invicta isn't having her fight either, so I may have to start hating Invicta also. ;)

B) See the last part of A. Invicta needs to get it's shit together. Almost half a year in 2013 with no fights, losing all their 115'ers to Zuffa, and a TV deal that is "almost there" everytime Shannon Knapp speaks, but never happens. I'm so crossing my fingers that things get super-awesome for Invicta this year. The fighters deserve it.

C,D) I hope Sara McMann crushes Rousy in the "Grand Emotional Baggage Pigpile"

Question is how do you assess her accident? She was speeding, which is against the law for the very reason that it increases risk. And it did result in the death of her man.
It's unfortunate, and I do feel sorry for her, but she is also partially to blame. Just sayin.

Not that I really care. ;)

A) I have heard nothing about this. I have actually tried to watch WSOF a couple of times, and both times I have failed to find a broadcast of it. They also pissed me off when they put the GOAT female fighter, Michelle Waterson on their website and never had her fight. However, Invicta isn't having her fight either, so I may have to start hating Invicta also. ;)
Yeah, wtf is going on with Waterson? Is she injured? No viable contenders?

B) See the last part of A. Invicta needs to get it's shit together. Almost half a year in 2013 with no fights, losing all their 115'ers to Zuffa, and a TV deal that is "almost there" everytime Shannon Knapp speaks, but never happens. I'm so crossing my fingers that things get super-awesome for Invicta this year. The fighters deserve it.
I thought Invicta was largely successful in their goals?

Knapp basically came out and said that they're an org that exists to put WMMA on the map, and give females a gateway towards bigger fights, exposure, and money.

IMO, they succeeded by feeding the UFC more and more fighters, allowing their fighters to build up their records and skills before they made it to the big show. They also succeeded when SW was picked up by the UFC, which is easily Invicta's best division.

The only part of this I agree with is the lack of a tv deal. It seems whenever they start to put their shit on anything but that PPV website, shit hits the fan come fight night.

I hope Rousey puts McMann on her ass, early, often, and takes an arm home.

Sherdogger tears are oh so sweet to this biased judoka's palate.

edit: Oh, I didn't know what you meant. She lost her bf/husband? Sucks.

The accent would fit the look and her nickname would be Shrek instead of JoJo?

hey...... not cool, she talks like I do!! just in a much higher pitch lol

Yeah, wtf is going on with Waterson? Is she injured? No viable contenders?

The only part of this I agree with is the lack of a tv deal. It seems whenever they start to put their shit on anything but that PPV website, shit hits the fan come fight night.

I think they were trying to get Seo Hee Ham as a title challenger but got screwed when Deep-Jewels booked her in a fight against Sadae Suzumura.

As far as a TV deal is concerned, I think Knapp is really gunning for Showtime. She's worked along side them when she was a matchmaker at Strikeforce, Showtime has been a major platform for WMMA (Gina Carano in EliteXC; Cyborg, Marloes, Rousey, etc. in Strikeforce). They just have to wait until the Strikeforce/Zuffa/Showtime contract has expired, more than likely a year from the last event Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine (01.12.13).

Interestingly enough the Overeem-Rogers card is coming on tonight 10p ET on Sho Extreme and Rockhold-Kennedy is coming on tomorrow (01.03.14) at 11p ET

As far as when Invicta 8 is happening

InvictaFights ‏@InvictaFights 30 Dec

@rerouse date is not set in stone yet, but should be late February/Early March. Come on down!

Judging by this and the current announced scheduled list of major combat sports events, I'd say 03.01.14

UFC Fight Night: Saffiedine vs. Lim

UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou

ShoBox: Ivan Redkach vs. Tony Luis

HBO Boxing: Jean Pascal vs. Lucian Bute
WSOF 8: Gaethje vs. Patishnock

Showtime Boxing: Lamont Peterson vs. Dierry Jean
UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson

HBO Boxing: Gennady Golovkin vs. Osumanu Adama
UFC 169: Cruz vs. Barao

Showtime Boxing: Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Abner Mares II
UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Mousasi

HBO Boxing: Miguel Vazquez vs. Denis Shafikov
UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann

The Ultimate Fighter: China 1 Finale
HBO Boxing: Orlando Salido vs. Vasyl Lomachenko

Glory 14: Zagreb
UFC Fight Night 37: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa
Showtime Boxing: Canelo Alvarez vs TBA

Miriam Nakamoto following Dr's orders: lying down with her leg elevated.

3fca2dce71fd11e3981012b23892ca75_8.jpg

Michele Gutierrez retires

Thank u Wmma for all the years of traveling , excitement , exposure and all the great people I met on the way . After 2 months of back and forth I decided that's a wrap. Time to be normal again. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this journey ! John Wood @georgecastro Sam Wilson @debipurcell Adrian Melendrez Tony Palafox ️

https://www.facebook.com/michele.gutierrez.790

Last edited:
Well... Now that 2013 is over, here are my nominations for...

SOTY
Rose Namajunas
2_Rose_Namajunas_vs._Kathina_Catron_2.gif

KOTY
Jinh Yu Frey
11111111111111.gif

Honorable mention to Alida Gray
2013-11-04-14_48_17.gif

FOTY
Ground war extrordinaire: Penne vs Waterson.
[YT]KnYeFpprwVA[/YT]

@ben236: I completely agree with your choices! Great minds think alike, I guess. :D

The Alida Gray KO was great, but I love that Jihn Yu KO - It`s KOTY regardless of gender. I want to see this fighter brought into Invicta and given fights on a regular basis.

And the Waterson-Penne fight was easily the best fight of the year for me. Michele made a believer out of me! Let`s hope we see a rematch sometime in 2014 - Hopefully in 2014, if Invicta can ever get their $hit together.

Jarl

SOTY
Rose Namajunas

KOTY
Jinh Yu Frey
11111111111111.gif

2013-11-04-14_48_17.gif

FOTY
[YT]KnYeFpprwVA[/YT]

Agreed up until FOTY, def Rose v Torres for me

Nakamoto's being dumb. There's no nice way to say it.

I understand the frustration, but if she doesn't listen to her doctors, she's only going to ruin her rehab and be on the shelf even longer.

Look at Cruz. He did everything right, and his first ACL replacement still didn't work. How well do you think things will go if you train BJJ when you're stuck in a knee immobilizer?

SOTY
Rose Namajunas

KOTY
Jinh Yu Frey
11111111111111.gif

2013-11-04-14_48_17.gif

FOTY
[YT]KnYeFpprwVA[/YT]

Agreed with KOTY and SOTY, though I think FOTY is a toss up, between Smith/Maia, Torres/Namajunas, and Penne/Waterson.

Well, from the photos I`ve seen, Miriam`s leg looks immobilized and she seems to be training with her upper body. No harm in that. But, yeah, I want her to make a complete recovery and better to err on the side of caution.

Since we seem to be in agreement mostly on FOTY, KOTY, and SOTY...how about we add a few more categories to stir some debate:

BREAKOUT PERFORMANCE
My pick: Tecia Torres (Vs. Herrig)

MOST IMPROVED
My pick: Alexis Davis (who I now believe is a top 3 fighter)

BIGGEST DIVEBOMB
My pick: Zoila Gurgel (she used to invincible...now she can`t even get a win)...honorable mention to Miesha Tate

ONE TO LOOK OUT FOR IN 2014
My pick: Nina Ansaroff...honorable mention Jinh Yu

FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
My pick: Ronda Rousey...honorable mention to Barb Honchak (who more or less cleaned out her division)

Jarl

Immobilizers aren't perfect.

Do you train? You know how easy it is to aggravate a body part that is still recovering from a prior injury?

All it takes is a shift here, a leg there... and boom, your training partner just reinjured you.

Last edited:
FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
My pick: Ronda Rousey

Now that we are post-UFC 168, I don't think anyone can deny that Rousey is the Female Fighter of the Year. But I look at not only contribution to the sport inside the cage, but outside as well. I was also happy to see that the World MMA Awards also list this as criteria.

Maybe if she had only fought once this year, I could see it differently, but with two title defenses and everything involving leading women into the UFC, I think it has to be Rousey.

...and the best (for now anyway). I, for one, don`t give a damn about her bad reputation.

Note: Edited for response to Taichou - Actually, I have torn my ACL...but it was about 15 years ago and I didn`t do it fighting (I was a basketball player). Since basketball was just a sport for me and I was in my mid-20ss and the tear wasn`t too bad, I opted for no surgery and a quiet retiring from the sport. But, Miriam`s case is much different. She`s like 37 years old. Fighting is her job. Two or three more fights and she could be seeing a big payday (like a bout with Ronda). Taking it easy for a year or year and half and then training for half a year to get back into fighting shape would leave her close to 39. She may be thinking, "Taking this slow and steady is the same as throwing away my chances to fight in some big fights...how many more (fighting) years do I have?" In this case, we may not agree with her speedy return to training, but she has a valid reason to do so from her own perspective.

Jarl

Last edited:
Back