Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #6

Agreed up until FOTY, def Rose v Torres for me

agreed over here too. penne vs. waterson was great, though. same with smith vs. kaufman. still, namajunas vs. torres was my favourite.

agreed over here too. penne vs. waterson was great, though. same with smith vs. kaufman. still, namajunas vs. torres was my favourite.

Rose trying to blanket Torres in round 3 puts Penne/Waterson into first place.

So what? You guys agree with my picks for Breakout Performance, Most Improved, Biggest Disappointment, Fighter of the Year, and One To Watch Out for in 2014? Really? You guys can`t just silently concur with me, right?!?:) C`mon, what do you guys think?

Why don`t we fight endlessly about "important" topics like the guys on the UFC threads do?:icon_lol:

Jarl

P.S. It would be nice if Invicta made a damn announcement about Invicta 8, so we could kick-off the new thread properly...

P.S. It would be nice if Invicta made a damn announcement about Invicta 8, so we could kick-off the new thread properly...

The delay in announcing it may be because they are working on a TV deal right now. One of the biggest issues they also need to deal with is the problems they have been having on iPPV.

I too would like to hear something. I want to know when Waterson is going to defend her title. I also am interested in seeing who Cyborg might defend her title against as well, because this feeling in the back of my mind makes me think that Gomes has a chance at beating her.

Submission of the Year, I'll have to go with Rousey's arm bar over Carmouche. The most impressive? No. The most influential and significant? Definitely.

The delay in announcing it may be because they are working on a TV deal right now. One of the biggest issues they also need to deal with is the problems they have been having on iPPV.

I too would like to hear something. I want to know when Waterson is going to defend her title. I also am interested in seeing who Cyborg might defend her title against as well, because this feeling in the back of my mind makes me think that Gomes has a chance at beating her.

The timetable is late Feb/early March. HooknShoot owner, Jeff Osborne stated that he was planning to induct Julie Kedzie into their HOF on March 8 but isn't sure she'd be available because of Invicta. Based on the schedule of announced events I think Invicta 8 is going to be on March 1.

HBO Boxing: Gennady Golovkin vs. Osumanu Adama
UFC 169: Cruz vs. Barao

Showtime Boxing: Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Abner Mares II
UFC Fight Night 36: Machida vs. Mousasi

HBO Boxing: Miguel Vazquez vs. Denis Shafikov
UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann

The Ultimate Fighter: China 1 Finale
HBO Boxing: Orlando Salido vs. Vasyl Lomachenko

Glory 14: Zagreb
UFC Fight Night 37: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa
Showtime Boxing: Canelo Alvarez vs TBA

From WombatSports:

InvictaFC president Shannon Knapp told us that we should expect champions Michelle Waterson and Cyborg Santos to defend their belts on one of the first two InvictaFC cards of the year. No word on who will be defending their title first or when the cards will be.

She also stated has signed two or three fighters in the New Year, but hasn’t announced who yet.

As far as Gomes having a better chance than Budd against Cyborg, IDK...

[YT]bpRboh76kWY[/YT]

Ediane Gomes vs. Amanda Nunes
Bitetti Combat 6
Brasilia, Brazil

[YT]yGf5pCQJU-o[/YT]

Ediane Gomes vs. Katalina Malungahu
Invicta FC 3: Penne vs. Sugiyama
Kansas City, Kansas

Last edited:
Ironically both Budd and Gomes only losses are to Nunes and Rousey.

@ben236: I completely agree with your choices! Great minds think alike, I guess. :D

The Alida Gray KO was great, but I love that Jihn Yu KO - It`s KOTY regardless of gender. I want to see this fighter brought into Invicta and given fights on a regular basis.

And the Waterson-Penne fight was easily the best fight of the year for me. Michele made a believer out of me! Let`s hope we see a rematch sometime in 2014 - Hopefully in 2014, if Invicta can ever get their $hit together.

Jarl

it is "important" to note that waterson-penne was NOT the best fight of the year for you! :p:wink:

...does that work better for you, like the UFC forum? :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Rose trying to blanket Torres in round 3 puts Penne/Waterson into first place.

Yeah, that definitely played a factor in my giving Penne vs Waterson the nod. Rose vs Torres still should have gotten FOTN though (though Shannon Knapp seems to have some kind of hard-on for Leslie Smith).

Not the typical slug fest that would normally get FOTY honors. But the ground war in Waterson vs Penne was fantastic. The flexibility both fighters demonstrated was amazing. It was literally like watching two contortionists grappling one another. Whenever someone asks "what can female fighters do that men fighters can't?", you only need to point to that fight right there. Not even BJ Penn is capable of the kind of flexibility that was demonstrated in that fight.

Add the come from behind finish by a huge underdog, and even Waterson's reaction after the fight and that pretty much settled it for me.

During the post-fight press conference, I thought Shannon Knapp said it would be announced by the following Friday. Oh well,.....

it is "important" to note that waterson-penne was NOT the best fight of the year for you! :p:wink:

...does that work better for you, like the UFC forum? :icon_lol::icon_lol:

@Battery...yeah, I was just making a joke after I noticed the contrast between this thread and the average UFC thread...we seem more..."reasonable" and "less excitable" :D

And..Indeed, the next Invicta card must feature Waterson and/or Cyborg. Why not both? I want to see Waterson-Penne II or Waterson-Hamderlei and Cyborg-Gomes and I really, really want to see the first 155 fight be Rothlenhausler-Tweet. And let`s get Jinh Yu on the card! And Invicta has already signed Michelle Ould, so let`s get her a fight too...How about Ould-Ansaroff (winner gets Honchak in summer)? They also need to start signing some fights with "new" 135-ers and 115-ers to fill up those voids. I would like to see Talita Nogueira fight in the cage against some real opposition...How about Treta vs. Kianzad or Faith Van Duin?

Jarl

yes, much cooler over here. i like. :)

here's hoping we hear some news soon on the next invicta.

Man... I think I wiil never read another wmma thread in heavies ever again. Even when its not about looks I can always find some people who tell me that McMann "destroyed" Shayna in mma bout. Maybe its something with me but I remember it being one of the more contentious decisions in recent history...

We (read: me) still talk about looks ITT.
You seriously can't consider that your pure addoration of Lena can be compared to blatant "pic requesting" of heavies :wink:

You seriously can't consider that your pure addoration of Lena can be compared to blatant "pic requesting" of heavies :wink:

I just can't help it. She is drop dead gorgeous, IMO.

Anyway I recently read a post by a guy in there where he said he didn't know about SW, and decided to check out some of their fights on Youtube. It gave me hope for the future.

Back