Ogawa vs Farmer. Vegas robbery? For vacant IBF title | Update: Ogawa tests POSITIVE for PEDs

Sakuraba7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Looks like Teiken Promotions is learning to play the game!

Kenichi Ogawa beat Tevin Farmer by split decision by 116-112 Ogawa, 115-113 Ogawa, and 116-112 Farmer to win the vacant IBF Super Featherweight title. The Sky Sports team has been really going in on this decision!

There definitely needs a rematch for this one. Thoughts?

I had to skip over that fight. I have no patience for fighters like Farmer anymore. I guess I'm turning casual.

jus watched it
ogawa was more aggressive, probably landed the harder punches, finished strong
farmer landed more, was slicker, boxed, better defensive

i think the commentators judged it more on boxing/ring generalship and who landed more
less on aggression and effective punching
whatever the opinion, have to say ogawa was did not look phased by farmers punches

I had to skip over that fight. I have no patience for fighters like Farmer anymore. I guess I'm turning casual.

I hope this serves as a lesson to Farmer, to switch up his style. Judges will find any excuse to rob you of a win. In this case, Ogawa had great body language and aggression. But Farmer outboxed him and should've won.

I hope this serves as a lesson to Farmer, to switch up his style. Judges will find any excuse to rob you of a win. In this case, Ogawa had great body language and aggression. But Farmer outboxed him and should've won.
Unfortunately, there are judges who give the rounds to whoever is coming forward.

This isn’t the amateurs. Landing more punches does not mean shit of those punches don’t show as much effect as the ones your opponents land on you. When Ogawa landed, Farmer ran back and seemed to have to reassess everything he had to do all over again.

I had it slightly for Farmer but I admit I was being affected by the commentary and letterman, my dad when the fight was over said “letterman is nuts, the Japanese guy won that” so he wasn’t surprised when the decision came around.

I was, but more because of what Ogawa accomplished l, fighting out of Japan for a belt and getting a split decision against a local fighter (local as in country) is never an easy thing to do

This isn’t the amateurs. Landing more punches does not mean shit of those punches don’t show as much effect as the ones your opponents land on you. When Ogawa landed, Farmer ran back and seemed to have to reassess everything he had to do all over again.

I had it slightly for Farmer but I admit I was being affected by the commentary and letterman, my dad when the fight was over said “letterman is nuts, the Japanese guy won that” so he wasn’t surprised when the decision came around.

I was, but more because of what Ogawa accomplished l, fighting out of Japan for a belt and getting a split decision against a local fighter (local as in country) is never an easy thing to do

Corruption in boxing today is all about who the promoter is, not necessarily countrymen.

Corruption in boxing today is all about who the promoter is, not necessarily countrymen.

I don’t think today had anything to do with corruption, it was just a foreign fighter as far as I know fighting for the first time outside Japan getting a world title in a fight that was tough to judge

I was there live and I saw Ogawa winning the fight. He was the Aggressor and landed the power punches

I don’t think today had anything to do with corruption, it was just a foreign fighter as far as I know fighting for the first time outside Japan getting a world title in a fight that was tough to judge

It was tough, depending on what criteria the judges use. Farmer had the boxing, Ogawa had the aggression. Most online blogs/articles had it for Farmer.

I was still responding to your assertion about how judges favoritism works.

If Ogawa fought a Golden Boy fighter, the Golden Boy fighter would have likely won. Because GB has priority over Teikein. But in this case, Teikein has priority over Lou DiBella.

It was tough, depending on what criteria the judges use. Farmer had the boxing, Ogawa had the aggression.

I was still responding to your assertion about how judges favoritism works.

If Ogawa fought a Golden Boy fighter, the Golden Boy fighter would have likely won. Because GB has priority over Teikein. But in this case, Teikein has priority over Lou DiBella.

I’m not sure if it’s that clear cut. It’s hard to win on foreign soil in boxing, especially in Japan. But I do agree promoters can be corrupt, happens all the time in the fight game. I just don’t think tonight had anything to do with them to be honest.

I’m not sure if it’s that clear cut. It’s hard to win on foreign soil in boxing, especially in Japan. But I do agree promoters can be corrupt, happens all the time in the fight game. I just don’t think tonight had anything to do with them to be honest.

Neither of the two are VEGAS fighters, this was their first fights in Nevada. But the promotions on the other hand have held fights in Nevada, and do bring money to the state. The State's favorite is whoever brings it more money.

Teikein is a mainstay in US boxing right now. If they suffer shitty/unfavorable judging somewhere, you know they are going to take their business to another place (i.e., California, New York). Its pretty easy logic.

Neither of the two are VEGAS fighters, this was their first fights in Nevada. But the promotions on the other hand have held fights in Nevada, and do bring money to the state. The State's favorite is whoever brings it more money.

Teikein is a mainstay in US boxing right now. If they suffer shitty/unfavorable judging somewhere, you know they are going to take their business to another place (i.e., California, New York). Its pretty easy logic.

Well, honestly I’m just going to have to disagree, statistically you will see judges favoring fighters of their own country, a good example of this is Ward vs Kovalev, Ward makes no one any money, he barely fought and was usually boring to watch for casual viewers, Kovalev on the other hand had higher ratings, brought more money to HBO and had a lot of KOs not to mention he fought more often. Smart money would have favored Kovalev regardless of who promoted who.

I am willing to bet statistically regardless of promoters that historically the fighter from the country where the fight is taking place will win more often than not if it is a close fight, regardless of who is promoting who.

Now, usually the US fighter has the more powerful promoter, so these can go hand in hand, reminds me of Lewis vs Holyfield which was a don king shitfest

as i said before, i wasn't surprised by the decision
people are too easily swayed by commentary
the commentators were basing that fight more on who had the better boxing technique
judging criteria can also be judged on who landed the more effective punches and aggression

Well, honestly I’m just going to have to disagree, statistically you will see judges favoring fighters of their own country, a good example of this is Ward vs Kovalev, Ward makes no one any money, he barely fought and was usually boring to watch for casual viewers, Kovalev on the other hand had higher ratings, brought more money to HBO and had a lot of KOs not to mention he fought more often. Smart money would have favored Kovalev regardless of who promoted who.

I am willing to bet statistically regardless of promoters that historically the fighter from the country where the fight is taking place will win more often than not if it is a close fight, regardless of who is promoting who.

Now, usually the US fighter has the more powerful promoter, so these can go hand in hand, reminds me of Lewis vs Holyfield which was a don king shitfest

Andre Ward winning the belt still means more money than Kovalev, in theory. Kov is "seen" as a foreign fighter and he's signed to Kathy Duva, and was only well-known among boxing hardcores. Ward is seen as marketable and could have become a mainstay (had he not resigned). Albeit he is signed to Roc Nation which isn't particularly huge in boxing. Nonetheless, I'm not saying 'every' dodgy decision is down to promoters, it can be just shit judges. But the money and marketing aspect was certainly there in Kov-Ward, in favor of Ward being champ.

I disagree that its hard to win title fights on foreign-soil in Japan (beyond the ordinary). Japan uses foreign-judges during world title fights. None of them are Japanese. So the countrymen argument falls there. I believe its the same in Russia.

Just few months ago in May, the WBA suspended 2 judges who officiated the Hassan N'Dam vs Ryota Murata fight for the vacant MW title. They gave it split-decision to N'Dam, over the local Murata. It was considered a bad decision and the WBA suspended the judges from working their fights. The judges were Gustavo Padilla (Panama) and Hubert Earle (Canada).

Judging favoring home fighters is something you'll see commonly in Britain and Germany. But even that I'd argue also ties in with promoters, since the home fighter is 'usually' promoted by a local and the visiting fighter by a foreign promoter. But favorable judging in Japan and Russia is a myth, as they don't even use home judges, but flown in through the sanctioning body (hence, why the WBA was able to reprimand them).

I think a few of you may be confused about scoring. Ogawa probably dished out more punishment, but Farmer did outpoint him. He wasn't given the decision, that's the issue.

Tevin Farmer fights too negatively, he's no way near to being a complete fighter. It's crazy that his stablemate Jason Sosa was robbed by Gamboa last week too.

Farmer can't punch for shit, and I don't think he takes a great shot. He kind of has to fight the way he does. Farmer had a bit of hype because he looks slick against garbage opposition, but in reality he's far from anything special.

Andre Ward winning the belt still means more money than Kovalev, in theory. Kov is "seen" as a foreign fighter and he's signed to Kathy Duva, and was only well-known among boxing hardcores. Ward is seen as marketable and could have become a mainstay (had he not resigned). Albeit he is signed to Roc Nation which isn't particularly huge in boxing. Nonetheless, I'm not saying 'every' dodgy decision is down to promoters, it can be just shit judges. But the money and marketing aspect was certainly there in Kov-Ward, in favor of Ward being champ.

I disagree that its hard to win title fights on foreign-soil in Japan (beyond the ordinary). Japan uses foreign-judges during world title fights. None of them are Japanese. So the countrymen argument falls there. I believe its the same in Russia.

Just few months ago in May, the WBA suspended 2 judges who officiated the Hassan N'Dam vs Ryota Murata fight for the vacant MW title. They gave it split-decision to N'Dam, over the local Murata. It was considered a bad decision and the WBA suspended the judges from working their fights. The judges were Gustavo Padilla (Panama) and Hubert Earle (Canada).

Judging favoring home fighters is something you'll see commonly in Britain and Germany. But even that I'd argue also ties in with promoters, since the home fighter is 'usually' promoted by a local and the visiting fighter by a foreign promoter. But favorable judging in Japan and Russia is a myth, as they don't even use home judges, but flown in through the sanctioning body (hence, why the WBA was able to reprimand them).

I think ward just wasn’t planning on fighting anymore, his plan always seemed to be to move up and if he won then retire, so I am not sure there was a lot of money to be made off of him, meanwhile Kova is still there knocking people out. I never really understood ward to be honest, he really should have given Kovalev a third fight since a lot of people thought he lost the first fight but you know how it goes.

As for the Japanese judges thing, I read about the suspension but believe me, I’ve been watching Mexican boxing all my life and a lot of these Mexican fighters go to Japan full knowing they have to get the KO to win. Sometimes its on smaller boxing venues and not always a big deal HBO level card, most of these fights you end up never hearing about because they only air them in Mexican tv and in Japan.

It really is a combination of the things you said, normally the local fighter will mean more money for everyone if he keeps winning so if there is a close fight between a Mexican and a Japanese fighter it usually goes to the Japanese fighter. I guess our points aren’t mutually exclusive.

There are strange situations where the fighter who makes more money and has the more powerful promoter isnt the local fighter, then I guess it really can be a coin flip. I would imagine the judges were dying to give Canelo the fight over GGG, just like they seem to be dying to give him rounds that I sometimes dont score for him (cotto, Lara, Floyd, etc.) but I do see how Canelo won all those fights, what I don’t see is how he won or even got a draw against GGG but you know how that goes.

Then again, Las Vegas is pretty much a hometown fight for Mexican superstar fighters.

Farmer can't punch for shit, and I don't think he takes a great shot. He kind of has to fight the way he does. Farmer had a bit of hype because he looks slick against garbage opposition, but in reality he's far from anything special.

Apparently he got shot in his hand and had a torn bicep coming into the fight.

http://www.boxingscene.com/tevin-farmer-i-worked-too-hard-get-robbed-i-deserved-win--123299
Tevin Farmer: I Worked Too Hard To Get Robbed, I Deserved Win

At the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, junior lightweight contender Kenichi Ogawa won a hard-fought and controversial 12 round split decision over Tevin Farmer. With the win, Ogawa won the vacant IBF junior lightweight title.

The southpaw Farmer (25-5-1, 5 KOs) built an early lead, outboxing the taller Ogawa. As the bout progressed and sensing he was down on the scorecards, Ogawa pressed the action, scoring more repeatedly than in the early rounds.

Both fighters had their moments in the final round, but two judges thought Ogawa (23-1, 17 KOs) did enough to win, awarding him the fight by scores of 116-112 and 115-113. The third judge scored the bout 116-112 for Farmer.

Farmer was furious with the scorecards. HBO had Farmer winning by a sizable margin - telling their viewers that it was an 8-4 or a 9-3 fight in Farmer's favor.

The boxer was shot in his hand earlier this year while trying to break up an altercation and he also went through a bad bicep injury. He was emotionally stunned when the decision was announced.

"I worked too hard to get robbed. I performed my tail off and positive I deserved the victory. Keep in mind that I had a 8 month layoff because of some injuries (shot in hand and torn bicep) and even though It took a while to get my groove I still feel I deserved to be a champion tonight. That's twice I get robbed in row! It's just not fair," Farmer said.

Ogawa is now going to look for bigger things, in Japan and the United States. The tough slugger is backed by Teiken Promotions, who have a stable of stars in Japan and internationally like Roman Gonzalez, Jorge Linares, Naoya Inoue, Carlos Cuadras and many others.

"It is the best day of my life. I can’t believe it. I work so hard to get to this point is an incredible feeling. But now I am going to be working even harder and will get a lot better," Ogawa said.

NSAC Suspends Ogawa for Failed PED Test, Farmer Result in Doubt
http://www.boxingscene.com/nsac-suspends-ogawa-failed-ped-test-farmer-result-doubt--124412

Kenichi Ogawa’s win against Tevin Farmer became even more suspicious Thursday.

Ogawa’s win was already considered controversial because Farmer out-boxed him, only to lose a 12-round split decision December 9 in Las Vegas. The Nevada State Athletic Commission revealed Thursday during its monthly meeting that Ogawa, who won the then-vacant IBF super featherweight title by defeating Farmer, has been suspended for failing a test for performance-enhancing drugs.

Japan’s Ogawa tested positive for synthetic testosterone. The NSAC will hold a hearing regarding Ogawa’s positive test on an undetermined date and could change the result of the Ogawa-Farmer fight to a no-contest.

If the result of the fight is changed to a no-contest, Ogawa would be stripped of his belt and Farmer more than likely would receive another title shot.

Lou DiBella, Farmer’s promoter, petitioned the IBF on Farmer’s behalf earlier this month for an immediate rematch due to the controversial result of their fight.

Farmer (25-5-1, 5 KOs), a southpaw from Philadelphia, seemed to do more than enough to out-point Ogawa (23-1, 17 KOs) during their 12-round bout, which HBO broadcast from Mandalay Bay Events Center.

Still, only one judge, Tim Cheatham, scored their fight for Farmer (116-112). Judges Burt Clements (116-112) and Max DeLuca (115-113) credited Ogawa with winning.

Harold Lederman, HBO’s unofficial ringside judge, thought Farmer won decisively (117-111). Unofficial CompuBox statistics also indicated Farmer won.

CompuBox counted 158 of 525 overall punches for Farmer, 59 more than Ogawa (99 of 445). Farmer connected with 132 of 299 power punches, according to CompuBox, 40 more than Ogawa (92 of 292).

Ogawa and Farmer fought for the IBF 130-pound championship Gervonta Davis lost for failing to make weight the day before his eighth-round knockout of Francisco Fonseca on August 26 in Las Vegas.

Back