Law Ohio passes Stand Your Ground legislation

Only Here for Attachments

World Ultimate Fighting Entertainment
@Titanium
Reaction score
I’m in Cleveland doing my masters and it seems like every week we get university alerts about youfs mugging some girl for her phone, breaking into cars, and the other day an undergrad student got shot near the campus.

Maybe if a few of them get blasted away, that’ll make the criminals think twice before mugging.

So long as there's wording that for a shoot to be legal, the aggressor cannot instigate or escalate the conflict, stand your ground laws are ok. The "appropriate force for an equal threat" elements still exist.

The jack wagon in Florida who claimed stand your ground failed that element of legal self defense. A chest shot from a handgun is not appropriate force for being pushed to the ground

Stand your ground just means he's not obligated to run away first after being pushed. If he throws a punch in return to the push however, he escalated the situation and is no longer an innocent party so again, would not be able to claim victim status for self defense

I do like this part-
Instead of a defendant having to prove they shot someone in self-defense, prosecutors would have to prove he or she was not.

"Our constitution says that you're innocent until proven guilty, so why is it you're guilty until you gotta prove you’re innocence? That's not the way it works against the criminals," said Donnett

Last edited:
This might help reduce crime from what it otherwise might be

I’m in Cleveland doing my masters and it seems like every week we get university alerts about youfs mugging some girl for her phone, breaking into cars, and the other day an undergrad student got shot near the campus.

Maybe if a few of them will get blasted away, that’ll make the criminals think twice before mugging.
Fear mongering is what our system is built on. The purpose is to make you afraid and seek out comfort in a benevolent shepherd, I.e. government. This is why there has been such an interest to “kill god” and be your own master, but that was just an illusion. Everything is unraveling.

Fear mongering is what our system is built on. The purpose is to make you afraid and seek out comfort in a benevolent shepherd, I.e. government. This is why there has been such an interest to “kill god”.

Seems like this law will bring in another benevolent shepherd for comfort - your gun.

Not a big fan of it to be honest. It all depends on the wording of the law I guess and what constitutes a "threat", but from what I've seen and heard in a lot of these cases, it seems way too easy to exploit, and people are getting away with murder.

https://fox8.com/2018/11/14/ohio-house-passes-controversial-stand-your-ground-bill/

And Democrats complain. A member of the "Black Caucus" had to be removed because she was screaming about this bill only leading to more black people getting shot.

What do you all think? I think it's overall good, but of course there will be dumbasses that misuse it. That's true for everything, though.

Because that black democrat knows that far too many black people are violent and now people can defend themselves better from it.

Stand your ground belongs in every state, we have the right to defend ourselves.

Some guy shoves you and you can straight shoot him?
Not a big fan of this. It seems a lot of people use it as a excuse to kill someone and go unpunished.

Good for the people of Ohio.

People being allowed to simply defend their own lives without unnecessary state sanction is always a positive development.

I foresee zero legal complications coming from this... :rolleyes:

I actually don't have a problem with this.

Law abiding citizens, protect what's yours, protect your families and your loved ones.

if some criminal piece of $hit attempts to endanger you, or your fam, light their asses up.

Some guy shoves you and you can straight shoot him?
Not a big fan of this. It seems a lot of people use it as a excuse to kill someone and go unpunished.

See my post above. Some guy shoves you, stand your ground does not at all give you the right to shoot him. It just means you don't have to run away

He shoves, you get up and say "what the heck!?" rather than running, he pulls a knife and lunges and you shoot him is what syg enables.

Without, a processuciting attorney can argue you had a duty to retreat once the confrontation began and so it's manslaughter even though you shot a guy in the process of stabbing you in the chest

Last edited:
Without a clause that says you cant start the situation than say you felt scared stand your ground laws are stupid and lead to cowards killing people

If they would add that line they would be great laws though

Without a clause that says you cant start the situation than say you felt scared stand your ground laws are stupid and lead to cowards killing people

If they would add that line they would be great laws though

They do. Cannot instigate or escalate

They do. Cannot instigate or escalate

From the cases I have seen in the news I was not aware that they did

Maybe they need to be stronger

Im generally pro gun but I am also really pro throwing the book at you if you do something dumb with it and I would like to see the law reflect that more.

Zim Zam and the popcorn shooter both really put a bad taste in my mouth about syg laws

Back