Yahoo title - Ohio Student suspended for not taking part in Walkout

Shouldn't the teachers be in the classroom? If the teacher isn't in the classroom I would think they should be the ones getting in trouble.
Would you please read the post DIRECTLY above yours, complete with official teachers’ union memo attached?

These walkouts were 100% an administrative decision, not teachers’.

Who is supposed to “get the teachers in trouble”? The administrators who DECIDED how to handle the walkouts?

@PainIsLIfe

Same thing for you— if you’re going to start a thread, at least read the posts that actually bother to add substantive content to it.

Would you please read the post DIRECTLY above yours, complete with official teachers’ union memo attached?

Who is supposed to “get the teachers in trouble”? The administrators who DECIDED how to handle the walkouts?

@PainIsLIfe

Same thing for you— if you’re going to start a thread, at least read the posts that actually bother to add substantive content to it.
Then I guess the admins should get in trouble for placing politics over education

Then I guess the admins should get in trouble for placing politics over education
That’s more rational at least than blaming rank and file teachers who have to do what they are told or face repercussions.

Although, in fairness, most administrators decided to handle the day as they did in order to MINIMIZE distractions.

In my district, kids “walked out” and were back in class within 25 minutes. Isn’t that better than turning this into some kind of pissing contest?

That’s more rational at least than blaming rank and file teachers who have to do what they are told or face repercussions.

Although, in fairness, most administrators decided to handle the day as they did in order to MINIMIZE distractions.

In my district, kids “walked out” and were back in class within 25 minutes. Isn’t that better than turning this into some kind of pissing contest?

Here there was 1 kid who walked out lol

Either dishonest thread title to force narrative or TS has no reading comprehension skills.

OP needs remedial training in basic English...

An Ohio high school student said he tried to stay apolitical during the National Walkout Day over gun violence but was suspended for his choice to remain in a classroom instead of joining protests or the alternative, going to study hall.

1521226392783.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/aff16037-7006-3309-80ed-7e35d6d5b687/ss_ohio-student-suspended-for.html

I don't even know how you suspend a kid for being in his classroom. I get the fact that he didn't follow instructions, but his parents tax money goes to the school to teach - not protest.

Is this even more evidence that the walk-out is school sponsored?

this is likely BS.

i know a lot of local high schools, required students who were not participating to go to a location where they could all be watched, like a gym or cafeteria. why? because most schools dont have enough faculty/staff to keep an eye on the protesting students, AND allow kids to stay in individual classrooms that do not want to attend the protest.

i would be my nut that this was such a story, and the right media spun it to serve as outrageous clickbait.

this is likely BS.

i know a lot of local high schools, required students who were not participating to go to a location where they could all be watched, like a gym or cafeteria. why? because most schools dont have enough faculty/staff to keep an eye on the protesting students, AND allow kids to stay in individual classrooms that do not want to attend the protest.

i would be my nut that this was such a story, and the right media spun it to serve as outrageous clickbait.

You're correct - the article I posted stated as much - but why where teachers sent outside to watch over the "walkout"?

The admin decided that it was endorsing the so-called walkout - it sent teachers with the students. I contend that the school should have had classes and disciplined students that took part in a true walkout.

OP needs remedial training in basic English...

SaiWa need to actually read my post - all the pertinent info is in it:

An Ohio high school student said he tried to stay apolitical during the National Walkout Day over gun violence but was suspended for his choice to remain in a classroom instead of joining protests or the alternative, going to study hall.

@PainIsLIfe

Umm, it's Sunday man - that's family day. I can't sit on sherdog all day long.

BTW- I never blamed teachers; my original post asked if this was evidence that the protest were school sponsored:

Is this even more evidence that the walk-out is school sponsored?

You're correct - the article I posted stated as much - but why where teachers sent outside to watch over the "walkout"?

The admin decided that it was endorsing the so-called walkout - it sent teachers with the students. I contend that the school should have had classes and disciplined students that took part in a true walkout.

ah.

id wager two things were at play on the part of schools:

1. if you tell students that they cannot participate in such a thing, you only guarantee that its going to happen, and it will be even more unruly and unsupervised.
2. many were probably truly pleased to see teens participating in a political activity.

I understand why he needed to go to where others were.

The school administrators bent over to support this walk out because they support the anti 2nd movement.

If it was a cause they didn't support they would have pushed the students that walked out.

Don't pretend the school was netural in this.

Other schools punished kids that walked out.

Back