Okay, so I'm rewatching all the Star Wars movies before I go see the new one. . .

In the book though, the fight is similar, but Yoda is remarking to himself how strong and powerful Palpatine is, and during this battle, he thinks that his work of teaching Jedi has been wrong. He says the Sith have studied the light and dark, and have evolved to be very powerful, whereas he was still teaching the same methods/ways that he learned from his masters. Basically thinking himself as a failure to himself and all his students for not embracing change and evolving
Hmmm.... I don't know if that is a testament to who won the battle. Still soundz like a stalemate to me since the battle ended up with Palp retreating. Can only imagine what was going through his mind. He obviously wanted to finish off Yoda but decided to retreat.

That said... it is interesting that Yoda had those thoughts about Palps being more powerful due to them delving into both sides. Do they though? How does a dark sider know anything about the light? The main difference between Sith & Jedi is that the Jedi are selfless... & the Sith insist on being selfish. The Sith even mock other Sith for thinking of other's needs instead of their own. So a Sith cannot by definition of their values know anything about the Jedi way.

I don't really understand this point of view unless Yoda is just being a bit dramatic due to the fact that he didn't defeat Palps. He did come across like he had failed when he spoke of it after their battle.

Great review of the book... thank you for sharing that stuff!

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I don't know if that is a testament to who won the battle. Still soundz like a stalemate to me since the battle ended up with Palp retreating. Can only imagine what was going through his mind. He obviously wanted to finish off Yoda but decided to retreat.

That said... it is interesting that Yoda had those thoughts about Palps being more powerful due to them delving into both sides. Do they though? How does a dark sider know anything about the light? The main difference between Sith & Jedi is that the Jedi are selfless... & the Sith insist on being selfish. The Sith even mock other Sith for thinking of other's needs instead of their own. I don't really understand this point of view unless Yoda is just being a bit dramatic due to the fact that he didn't defeat Palps. He did come across like he had failed when he spoke of it after their battle.

Great review of the book... thank you for sharing that stuff!
Yeah, it was just weird to read about Yoda getting down on himself, calling himself a failure. Also, not sure of all Sith but Palps was knowledgeable about the light just due to him being so close with the Jedi Council, and Anakin

Kinda wish we could've seen the Baby Yoda fake out thing with the Troopers in the movie though.

Forgot to mention in the book, there was no "I have the high ground" speech. At that point, Obi-Wan faked Anakin out, and leapt to the embankment. Anakin was disappointed in allowing himself to be tricked and jumped after Obi-Wan a half second later, but Obi-Wan had already planted himself and cut Anakin down

Guess it's hard to convey that so they went with the whole "high ground" thing

@shadow_priest_x I just finished reading Revenge of the Sith, so I have the prequels completed now. The book was great.

One thing I learned from the book which didn't come across in the movie revolves around the battle between Yoda and Palpatine. This has always been a debate here on the dog of who won that battle

Watching the movie, I was always of the opinion that Palps and Yoda were basically stalemated during their fight. Yoda forced Palps on the retreat, blocked his exit from his room. Palps started tossing things at him, Yoda dodged them and fired back. Then the force lightning which Yoda absorbs and sends back which eventually tosses them both back, but Yoda being smaller and on the edge of the Pod, falls to the ground. Yoda retreats as Palps gets his clone Army to come in as back up

In the book though, the fight is similar, but Yoda is remarking to himself how strong and powerful Palpatine is, and during this battle, he thinks that his work of teaching Jedi has been wrong. He says the Sith have studied the light and dark, and have evolved to be very powerful, whereas he was still teaching the same methods/ways that he learned from his masters. Basically thinking himself as a failure to all his students for not embracing change and evolving

Next at the end when they are dividing up Luke and Leia. Obi-Wan wants to start training Luke immediately. But Yoda says no, watch over him and the Force will let them know when the time is right to begin. He realizes that he must change his way of teaching

Also, from the book, the Windu fight with Palps seems to suggest that Windu won that fight. Many people think that Palps was just suckering Windu in to get Anakin to commit and choose. But if you're interested, Windu has a fighting style called Vaapad and uses Shatterpoint while viewing things through the force. Basically, he can sense weakpoints and he discovers Palps shatterpoint during the battle and is able to overcome him. Palps was fighting back with all he had. During this exchange, Windu didn't view Anakin's shatterpoint and it cost him. **EDIT** I should say, he didn't view Anakin's shatterpoint because he was so immersed in the battle with Palps, not because Anakin could hide it

Now for something funny from the book. Near the end when the Jedi Temple has been attacked. Well, one Trooper on duty sees a hunched over man approaching with a baby. The man is stammering about how it's a Jedi baby and he's bringing it to them. The guy looks at the baby and remarks how it's the ugliest baby he's seen, but also asks how do you know it's a Jedi. Then the baby says something like "My lightsaber, the first clue is!" and it's Yoda being held by Obi-Wan and then they attack the troopers and get into the Temple
Not sure how that scene would've done if it was included in the movie but it was kinda funny to read in the book

Cool man, thanks for the info!

That's interesting about Yoda questioning himself. It sounds a lot like the real-world martial arts community where you have some instructors who are always trying to evolve and learn new and effective ways of doing things and then you have other instructors who are trying to preserve older systems of fighting and teaching just as they always have.

That's also interesting about Windu/Palpatine. That sounds like a flight of fancy from the author. It seems pretty clear in the movie that Palpatine is fucking around and could blast Windu if he really wanted to.

One thing I remember reading a little while back is that the novelizations are not canon. You ever heard that?

It's like every single character didn't move five feet in twenty years from the end of Revenge of the Sith to the beginning of A New Hope.

How do you figure?

Vader and Leia are on a ship at the beginning of A New Hope. It's only Luke who's still chilling on Tatooine, and it made sense to me that he might still be with his family. He's still quite young, after all. And hey, we have people in the real world today who are born into some small town and stay there all their lives.

Revenge of the sith aint on par w original trilogy. Not even close.I wish it was. Hoping for it,but it isnt. Acting still wooden,rushed ending etc etc.

The only OT film that might be better is Empire.

But it's not.

How do you figure?

Vader and Leia are on a ship at the beginning of A New Hope. It's only Luke who's still chilling on Tatooine, and it made sense to me that he might still be with his family. He's still quite young, after all. And hey, we have people in the real world today who are born into some small town and stay there all their lives.

I'm going by memory here, but if I remember right...

Obi Wan is on Tattooine as well, never moves thereafter
Yoda is either on Dagobah or en route there, never moves thereafter
C3PO and R2D2 are in the possession of Leia and family, with memory appropriately wiped
Boba Fett already has his mask and uniform at the age of four or whatever
Palpatine's face is messed up at the end of ROTS to look exactly like he does in the original trilogy (and he's still showing up at senate meetings looking like this and nobody bats an eye). I mean, if Bob Dole had shown up one day with red eyes and devil horns, do you think Congress would have just gone about business as usual?

I'm probably forgetting stuff.

Last edited:
I was talking to @TheRuthlessOne the other day and he challenged me to rewatch the Star Wars prequels. I mentioned that I thought they were okay, but only okay. Nothing more than that. He claims that they are misunderstood films that are much better than their reputations.

All the showings at my nearest theater have been sold out by the time I even think about getting tickets, so I said fuck it, I'll give it a few days, and in the meantime I'm going to rewatch ALL of the SW films--Episode 1 through Episode 7 + Rogue One--to prepare.

It's been several years since I have seen any of the pre-TFA films so this should be interesting. I'm sitting down to start Phantom Menace right now.

I'm particularly interested in seeing if my feelings about the prequels change upon a rewatch. One thing I can tell you is that I am NOT looking forward to dealing with Jar Jar Binks's punk ass again, but I'm going to remain open-minded.

Star Wars:TLJ sucked. The end. Wait for that shit on redbox.

That's interesting about Yoda questioning himself. It sounds a lot like the real-world martial arts community where you have some instructors who are always trying to evolve and learn new and effective ways of doing things and then you have other instructors who are trying to preserve older systems of fighting and teaching just as they always have.

That's also interesting about Windu/Palpatine. That sounds like a flight of fancy from the author. It seems pretty clear in the movie that Palpatine is fucking around and could blast Windu if he really wanted to.

One thing I remember reading a little while back is that the novelizations are not canon. You ever heard that?
The RotS novel is recognized as canon.

C3PO and R2D2 are in the possession of Leia and family, with memory appropriately wiped
Palpatine's face is messed up at the end of ROTS to look exactly like he does in the original trilogy (and he's still showing up at senate meetings looking like this and nobody bats an eye). I mean, if Bob Dole had shown up one day with red eyes and devil horns, do you think Congress would have just gone about business as usual?

Obi wan is still on Tatooine, because he is there to watch over luke. So leaving would make no sense.

And Luke knows him , but has not been trained or at least doesn’t think he has been. Often wondered if Obi wan had done some miagi type training with him, wax on wax off type shit that would be training but he didn’t recognize it.

Remeber he talks about shooting shit in beggars canyon that others think is rediculous, so perhaps he was using the force to guide his shots then too like for the Death Star, but didn’t know it.

Yoda is hiding on degobah, because it’s so strong in the force it hides him while he trains to learn how to connect with qui-gon.

They only wipped C3po, which seems stupid as r2d2 spent even more time with everyone else. Like he should have told luke who yoda was when they went to degobah. And also not allowed luke to crash there, since he already safely landed yoda there in the clone wars. Big ass plot wholes there

The boba fett stuff makes the most sense if it all. Jengo was training him and he took his dad’s old mandalorian shit.

Palp tells people windu fucked him up.

If bob dole showed up and said Putin kicked his ass all over the block would people not believe his explaination?

If they were trying to hide luke they should have had him take his aunt and uncles name, which wasn’t Skywalker was it?

I guess if it was it makes sense, but you think the emperor would have had them wipe out anyone and everyone related to vader , unless palp didn’t know there were others. Since anakin told him he killed all the sand people after they killed his mom. Might think that’s it.

Besides the fact that he most likely roofied anakins mom and knocked her up.

And why the hell did Obi wan think “old Ben kenobi” was enough of a name change?

Tattooine isn’t so remote that shit would go unnoticed. Or is it, is that why Jaba is hiding out there? Seems like enough of the bad relm knows his ass is there and it gets a lot of outside traffic.

Seems like someone would notice a kenobi and remeber of Obi wan from the past

I know it’s not a real world adequate explanation , but Palps does mention in front of senate a brief statement ( can’t remencer exactly ) that the jedis treachery resulted in His current appearance .( like burn victim ?) But those red eyes though ! Lol

Hey, sorry for the late response. Yes, I have heard about the original 6 books being non-canon. Everything got messed up when Disney took over.

I absolutely loved the Darth Bane trilogy, which isn't canon, but Darth Bane is canon via being mentioned in The Clone Wars series. Also, the same for Darth Plagueis, which by the way, have you finished reading it yet? It's not considered canon, but Plagueis is canon via ROTS. Original Thrawn trilogy is no longer canon, which was great too, Luke meets Mara Jade. However, the new Thrawn book was excellent in my opinion. Looking forward to the sequel due out in a few months. Also, the novelization of The Last Jedi will be out in March I think, which is a long delay. The novelizations since Disney took over are considered canon.
The non-canon books I still find great though. I'm about to start A New Hope soon, curious to see how that was written.

Other than that, a ton of the comics are canon. There's a current Star Wars comic, which is canon, and it takes place after A New Hope. Here's a snippet, Vader meeting Luke for the first time. Not like The Empire Strikes Back which you would think, but it happens before that. This is where things get jumbled with the meshing of the movies and new canon material

NtOGb.png

There are actual canon time lines if you google them, which explain all the new canon material and where they fit in. Apart from that snippet i just posted, which is kinda cheesy, the comics are actually quite good. There are several of us on here who read them. So many series out there, Mace Windu, Darth Maul, Vader, Phasma, Leia, even C3PO.

Rey has some sexy ass calves that's all I'll say

Back