Old Man Strength

1457954758-1.jpg

126-pints.jpg

pNKka.jpg

#oldmanstrength

Nothing as disappointing than when someone so talented dies over something completely avoidable, like drinking one's self to death.

Nothing as disappointing than when someone so talented dies over something completely avoidable, like drinking one's self to death.

He was one of the greats, but it's kind of a miracle that it took him that long to drink himself to death.

I agree, but I realize that there's a following for everything, no matter how basic.

Like you can find "rock, paper, scissors" tournaments. I'm like wth...?!

That's crazy as hell.

Cup stacking is another one of those things that surprised me by its popularity.

I'm just like, how long can that sustain someone's interest for? But as you say, there's a following for everything.

Of all the unusual sports out there, my favorite is the hybrid sport of chessboxing:

1153335_438.jpg

chessBoxing.jpg

John Brzenk, USA, age 53
He is known as the best armwrestler ever. He has been the number 1 armwrestler in the absolute class about 15-20 years out of the last 25 years. He has won Over the Top, Yukon Jack, Golden Bear, Petaluma, Nemiroff events which has been the toughest armwrestling events in the history of our sport.

Here he is at 50 years old...

Ron Bath, USA
The most succesful armwrestler that John Brzenk met in his class. He has wins against John in many tournaments from the early 90s till today. With the longevity of his succesful career he is a living Legend of our sport.

HOMETOWN: Canton, Georgia
FAVORITE ARM-WRESTLING TECHNIQUE: “All”
RIVALRIES: “Marcio Barboza, John Brzenk, Devon Larratt – anyone across the table from me.”
YEARS COMPETING IN THE SPORT: 35 years
FAMILY: Bath has been married for thirty years and has 4 children (Nicole, Ryan, Josh, and Matt) and 3 grandchildren.
WAL TITLES: WAL 2015 Southern Region: 2nd Place Right-hand, 2nd Place Left-hand; WAL 2015 Championships: 4th Place Right-hand
HOBBIES: Bath enjoys spending time with his family and hunting. He used to play and coach baseball.
FAVORITE TRAINING TECHNIQUE: “Table time with teammates and weights with cables and rubber straps.”
INTERESTING FACT OR EXPERIENCE THAT HELPED SHAPE LIFE: “I was arm-wrestling in Wisconsin in bar tourneys. Then in 1985, I moved to Georgia and met World and National Champions Bert Whitfield and Jonny Walker and starting training for the Worlds.”
MOTTO: “Leave it all on the table.”
FAVORITE ARM-WRESTLING MEMORY: Bath recalls being called “The Legend” on ESPN over ten years ago. His two youngest children asked, “Dad, what’s a legend?” Bath’s response was, “It just means you’re getting old.” They have since learned what it really means.
BIGGEST ARM-WRESTLING ACCOMPLISHMENT: The next win is always the biggest for Bath. He is proud of winning 3 World titles in London and beating John Brzenk.
BEST ADVICE RECEIVED: “Never think you’re more tired than your opponent and never show it.”
BIGGEST OBSTACLE FACED AND OVERCAME: “I am my biggest obstacle. I get too comfortable and complacent. I overcome it mentally.”

John Brzenk is GOAT level. The guy is a walking legend of the sport.

For anyone interested this is an excellent doc about John.

Arm wrestling is a different kind of strength and either you got it or you do not.

I've mentioned how at 6'4" and 165lbs in high school I was painfully thin. All ripped muscle and bone but could not put on any weight or add mass to my muscles. I worked out like a demon and ate like a horse but could not gain weight or mass. I was just too active with too high a metabolism.

I was a tough kid and could fight and was starter in all sports but not elite. But I could arm wrestle and beat guys who were huge despite my very thin (but ripped) arms. I won our rugby arm wrestling competition and beat all but one guy on the football team. If I could stop your early momentum I knew i was going to beat you as I just would never give up. We would sit stalemated until that lactic acid burn built up and I would never quit so the other guy had to quit.

Two of my best friends and I went to the Dominican Republic for holidays when we were 18 and stayed at an all inclusive resort. A german body building team/club was there as well. At pool side one day the resort set up an arm wrestling tournament. My friends pushed me to go in. I started knocking off giant german body builder, one after another. Eliminating them and their giant muscled arms. I remember after beating one giant german he pulled my hand and arm up into the air and said "I am going to shoot that arm" and congratulated me on the win. I eventually took third and was knocked out by the guy who went on to win it when I managed to stop his early momentum and he was surging and surging pressure to get me to quit and I was holding fast until we heard this loud "CRACK" and locked down and my elbow had popped out. The two bones going into the elbow from top and bottom were no longer sitting in the elbow. The pressure made them pop out. Very painful and the resort doctor (if he was a doctor) helped me pop them back in by slamming it off the side of a table.

That ended my competitive arm wrestling as it always feels like they are slipping now when I get too much pressure and I wont risk it.

BTW my older brother crushed me at arm wrestling. HIs first year on the University football team he ran thru everyone in the arm wrestling comp like they were nothing. I think he could have been an amateur champ had he wanted to.

Old man strength is definitely real. Back when I was 16, I could easily out-lift my dad by a lot, yet whenever we clinched (play wrestling) he'd feel so much stronger than me. His grip was also so much stronger than mine. It's unfair!

When I think about old guys who are strong, I think of Ed Coan although he's arguably not that old

I thought you were showing this baseball video of 46 year old Nolan Ryan feeding uppercuts to a 26 year old upstart.

RyanVentura_wj0xniob.gif

giphy.gif

Never seen this before, but you can see the young dude pussed out the last second when he saw that the older dude didn't flinch after he charged at him.

He was one of the greats, but it's kind of a miracle that it took him that long to drink himself to death.

It was written into his contract that any drinking scenes in a movie had to be filmed with real alcohol. The exploits of Reed, Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris and Richard Burton were legendary:eek::cool:

Whenever I think "old man strength" I think of epic beard guy vs. Amber lamps. Dude got lit up.

This old man has these young bucks shook.

Lol, awesome. Just yesterday at the firehouse I was lifting with two other younger firefighters. One, who likes to make jokes at my age and girth’s expense, worked his way up to a max overhead press of 155lbs. for a hard 3 reps. I then proceeded to walk over and bang out his max for an easy 10 before going back to finish my workout.

Last edited:
John Berznk has been punking out everyone for 30 years.

That mother fucker literally had beat everyone.

Whenever I think "old man strength" I think of epic beard guy vs. Amber lamps. Dude got lit up.

That never gets old<Lmaoo><45>

IIRC, Epic Beard Man turned out to be, among other things, a Vietnam Vet. Yeah, nice going, dumb-ass; you picked a fight with Frank Castle:D

He's strong, but the old men in my gym doing crazy exercises and quarter repping big weight are not

No way.

This little piece of shit I worked with is 15 years younger than me, he went to lift a dock plate up and he couldn't budge it, so I went to grab it and he goes "if I couldn't lift it there's no way you will". Anyway, I scoop this thing up and the look on this kids face was priceless. I love destroying arrogant people, especially when it came to my hands.

I still have his soul in my back pocket.
Thinking about selling it to Milhouse.

Same thing happened to me. Bunch of guys moving an antique wood stove and this little fuck says something like "have a seat old man. Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself", kinda joking but still. Goes to lift his end and can't budge it with two hands and his legs. I move him aside and grab a lip of it with my fingertips and lift it like butter. Sit down little boy. You'll be a man someday. Maybe.

That never gets old<Lmaoo><45>

IIRC, Epic Beard Man turned out to be, among other things, a Vietnam Vet. Yeah, nice going, dumb-ass; you picked a fight with Frank Castle:D

I think he spent 3 months in louisiana rather than 'nam, also 14yrs in prison. Still was epic tho

I don't think it's that you get stronger as you age. I think it's just that each generation of men are bigger pussies than the previous generation, leading to the idea that old men are strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back