Old movies

If there is a movie I really would like to have a hand on, is a good transfer of Dersu Urzala 1975 by Akira Kuruzawa. The versions I have are either hard cropped or in quite bad health overall. I hope they would relaunch with a proper transfer to BR in the future. Because it´s a great movie!

NNGeV1h.jpg

My interest for older movies was waken when one of my friends who is working with restoring old Swedish films to the digital archive for SVT(Swedish television) was telling me that they had to throw away many old films dating back trom the 1940-50. Many of them in miserable shape with many suffering from fixers expiring long ago and the result of diminishing picture on the negatives. And others simply because they don´t have the man power to scan and restore all of them.

I think it´s sad to hear about this, but who will miss them? Is there an end date of keeping films and pictures. Or do they have a place in the future as cultural heritage?

So I will sonder so many old movies as possible, becuase I think it´s worth my time instead of all the shit they are making with modern tools of today. I have not seen any Marvel movies and I´m not tempted to do so. They will be there for my children to watch when they have come up in age.

M
Metropolis
The Blue Angel
Breathless
The General
Sherlock Jr.
la chien andalou
la jetee
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
La Grande Illusion
His Girl Friday
Citizen Cane
Joan of Arc
Rear Window
North by Northwest
that newly released Hitchcock documentary on The Holocaust

probably 100 more I can't think of at the moment

The Great escape 1963
The-Great-Escape_01.jpg

The Cincinnati Kid 1965
916sUkQREGL._SY445_.jpg

The Hot, Long Summer 1958
LONG-HOT_IN-TEXT.jpg

Sweet Smell of Success 1957
7e7dd0fec5da427572c90fc5180bf602.png

Le Mans 1971
lmfrance1panel.jpg

12 Angry Men always comes to mind. About as close to a perfect film as it gets.

I enjoyed Requim for a Heavyweight:

51VNyj-JgjL._SY445_.jpg

serling-requiem-777.jpg

Written by the great Rod Serling

o-ROD-SERLING-facebook.jpg

And while we’re at it, not a movie but same era, The Twilight Zone holds up better than most shows currently airing.

Heat Lightning
Random Harvest
Somewhere in the Night
The Shanghai Gesture

I have a hard time watching old movies. There is a lot of stuff I just find "off" about them. The dialogue is usually very stilted, the pace is almost always off, and obviously the production values are terrible.

There is one old movie that I always find hilarious thought
p6147_p_v8_aa.jpg

Im gonna watch Wait Until Dark tonight. Never seen it, but saw clips of it on Terror in the Aisles. Never got the title until now.

I watched Casablanca a while back and its amazing. Cant believe how many lines were first said in that movie.

A year later i saw Gone with the Wind. Another oddly amazing movie.

12 Angry Men always comes to mind. About as close to a perfect film as it gets.

Yes yes. A fantastic movie! I think the minimalistic style resonate very well with movies aging like a fine whine.

them1954-drive-in.jpg

thing51_3.jpg

th

tumblr_mmw856cMSI1rzs31zo1_500.jpg

have all of them in my collection.

Hehe, here I must admit our taste differs quite much. I really much prefer to have those as posters on my wall, but the movies themself? Not in my top list of great movies.

And I for one think Carpenters remake of The Thing 1982 is lightyears above the original. And here we talk about a prime example that has stood the test of time! One of my all time favorite movies and one of very few I have given a perfect 10/10 on my Imdb list of films.

Last edited:
So many promising movies in this thread. I don´t know where to begin.

giphy.gif

I have a hard time watching old movies. There is a lot of stuff I just find "off" about them. The dialogue is usually very stilted, the pace is almost always off, and obviously the production values are terrible.

[/QOTE]

I hear you. I have a asian wife that don´t understand why I spend time watching old movies and especially if they are black and white. Must be a cultural thing.

s0o4MP1.gif

I hear you. I have a asian wife that don´t understand why I spend time watching old movies and especially if they are black and white. Must be a cultural thing.

s0o4MP1.gif

Back