Old movies

Personally, I had Ben Hur(1959) on my top ten list for a long time

Yeah, costume dramas and subjects happening long before the modern and civilized world tend to age better then movies that tried to be ahead of it´s time.

A series like Downton Abbey will probably age with dignity.

Yeah, costume dramas and subjects happening long before the modern and civilized world tend to age better then movies that tried to be ahead of it´s time.

A series like Downton Abbey will probably age with dignity.
I've watched Hur so many times I can read the dialogue with the actors and always notice the little errors

Hehe, here I must admit our taste differs quite much. I really much prefer to have those as posters on my wall, but the movies themself? Not in my top list of great movies.

And I for one think Carpenters remake of The Thing 1982 is lightyears above the original. And here we talk about a prime example that has stood the test of time! One of my all time favorite movies and one of very few I have given a perfect 10/10 on my Imdb list of films.

Carpenter's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly are remake masterpieces.

A couple of classic horror movies that stand the test of time imo.

Repulsion (1965)
Repulsion_%281965_film_poster%29.jpg

Gotta love Polanski (Besides the whole pedo thing). The Tenant is a great film he made he back in the day. I tell this story all the time and I don't know where I read it, if it's true and I can't find it anywhere on google but anyway it goes - Polanski and Kubrick were at some party together and Kubrick was telling Polanski how much he loved The Tenant. Polanski replied by saying Barry Lyndon was one of his favourite films. Anyway the result of this was Polanski making Tess as his Barry Lyndon, and Kubrick making The Shining as his The Tenant

Sweet Smell of Success 1957
7e7dd0fec5da427572c90fc5180bf602.png

That's a great shout. Top, top film

Some other great ones

040430050925_l-214x300.jpg

nights-of-cabiria-movie-poster-1957-1020200900.jpg

all_about_eve_poster.jpg

Ace_in_the_Hole_2949.jpg

fires-on-the-plain-movie-poster-1959-1020452740.jpg

the-life-and-death-of-colonel-blimp.53382.jpg

large_t2u_Euha_VXKGo_Eat_Uv_ACc_GLz_Ye_WN.jpg

Last edited:
Both great movies! Is it the matador scene in the beginning of Fail Safe or am I mistaken? I remember it being so out of place but really creative.

Yep, Fail Safe opens with the bullfight.

I was born in 1990 and can't get into most older movies. My dad on the other hand would play them all the time. Basically if it's got paul newman or steve mcqueen in it i usually liked it. Both those dudes were the epitome of cool and when i was young i idolized them.

It's ok I'm here now you guys

(from an earlier thread: )

BADLANDS 1973
Genre: Crime

Martin Sheen's greatest performance of all time, based on a true story and trippy as all hell

LADYBUG LADYBUG 1963
Genre: Black/White Thriller, Horror

A school drill turns into a real nuclear attack. A jaw-droppingly gorgeous Kathryn Hays and incredible kid acting all-around - one of the best-looking black and white thrillers of all time with insane dialogue for its time that will scare the Absolute Shit out of anyone

Seriously go f*cking watch Ladybug Ladybug

Last edited:
Latley I have started to watch some older movies that has went under my radar during my life time. I have collected lesser known movies that has a good average rating score and until now I have been quite disapointed.

Some famous old movies such as the Judgment at Nuremberg 1961 and Paths of Glory 1957 has aged well in my opinion, but many other "classics" not so much.

Heaven Knows Mr Allison 1957, is time I wish I could have spent on other projects. Instead I struggled until the very end and hoped for something that never came. A marine and a nun alone on an Island is a formula that could have developed in to something more sinister than the valiant borefest that sadly was the main theme from start to finish. I was hoping for Robert Mitchum to morph in to rape mode and the japanese soldiers coming for Deborah Kerrs rescue. Is it me or the time that is now that has lost track with our humanity? 5/10

View attachment 369943

The Haunting 1963
, has been louded as one of the most scary movies ever created. If I can recall my childhood, I think I saw it when I was a child. But it wasn´t scary enough to be a permanent resident in my memory bank. And sadly it wasn´t scary at all when I saw it yesterday. This is an example of older movies praised for no aparent reason. While Heaven Knows Mr Allison fucked with my moral compass, this one was in my humble opinion just a pure snorefest. I was not preparing for blood and gore, I was preparing for a psychological horror using shadows and smart camera angles with a good plot. But instead it focused to much on Julie harris neurotic meltdown(she was neurotic before she set foot on Hill House), to the degree it became annoying. 4/10

View attachment 369947

So what say you Mayberry. What movies that stood the test of time would belong to your lists?

Future or maybe not list.

The Train 1964

View attachment 369949

In the heat of the Night 1967

View attachment 369951

The Battle of Algiers 1966

View attachment 369955

The Innocents 1961

View attachment 369959

If you're looking for good "old" movies, I recommend Shane (1953). Probably the best Western made from that era.

Shaneposter.png

Greatest movie of the 1960s...

Man, I love Zulu. dat Men of Harlech scene always brings a tear to my eye

I get the feeling anyone outside the UK would hate it though

Back