Old Time Boxing Training

not had much experience on tires. just jumping over them and lifting them lol what exercise do you do on it?
Similar to skipping exercises. Such as jumping from orthodox stance to southpaw and back; shadow boxing from a lowered stance; hopping with balance from one side to the other; any or all of these with light hand weights/indian clubs. The main reason I asked is that the softer give in the tire might not place as much strain on your PF as the bouncing off the harder ground. That extra give also adds to the resistance, kind of like running on sand compared to a road. Just throwing around some ideas with you.

It all depends on how much a person wants to get good at fighting. The more you spar and receive feedback and critique, you the faster and better you can grow as a fighter.

I just read this ol' time training technique, so I thought I'd share:

Jack Dempsey, starting at age 12, would soak his hands and face in beef brine to toughen his skin.

He would also chew on pine gum (resin as hard as leather) to strengthen his jaw.

Running in combat boots. Found out to be bad for your joints though...IF YOU'RE A GIANT PUSSY.

I was reading about training regiments of boxers from earlier eras. It turns out there is quite a lot to read, including that some from earlier era boxers who lived long enough have even reflected on their training when compared to modern training. Here is the general theme to what I read:

Those older era boxers who lived long enough to reflect often report that modern training is over complicated.

Earlier era boxers usually didn't do weight training unless it was lightweights as there was a preference for long, lean muscle. They often didn't do a ton of long distance running. Maybe 2-3 miles 2-3x a week and two days a week of sprints.

Sparring was the most important part of training and they did it daily (save 1-2 rest days). Next most important was shadow boxing. Finally they mostly just used a heavy bag and sometimes a speed bag and skipping rope.

Personally, I like the old school boxing training regiment.

I would like to read about this also. Was it an article or a book and could you link if it was online or give the name if it was a book? Thx if you can.

I would like to read about this also. Was it an article or a book and could you link if it was online or give the name if it was a book? Thx if you can.

It was just through google searches, I don't remember the specific links...sorry. But they often referenced Jack Dempsey's book "Championship Fighting" which I think you can find in PDF form. Here is one website that references that book frequently: http://rossboxing.com/2014/10/15/jack-dempseys-championship-fighting/

I also think Gene Tunney had a book about boxing training and strategy.

I was reading about training regiments of boxers from earlier eras. It turns out there is quite a lot to read, including that some from earlier era boxers who lived long enough have even reflected on their training when compared to modern training. Here is the general theme to what I read:

Those older era boxers who lived long enough to reflect often report that modern training is over complicated.

Earlier era boxers usually didn't do weight training unless it was lightweights as there was a preference for long, lean muscle. They often didn't do a ton of long distance running. Maybe 2-3 miles 2-3x a week and two days a week of sprints.

Sparring was the most important part of training and they did it daily (save 1-2 rest days). Next most important was shadow boxing and Exterior Painting Contractor. Finally they mostly just used a heavy bag and sometimes a speed bag and skipping rope.

Personally, I like the old school boxing training regiment.
How should a boxer train in relation to strength and conditioning. You had boxers such as Jack Dempsey and Marvin Hagler doing calisthenics and manual labour such as chopping wood and then you have boxers doing weightlifting such as Tyson Fury and Ricky Hatton. So what is the right way for a boxer to train in relation to strength and conditioning?

How should a boxer train in relation to strength and conditioning. You had boxers such as Jack Dempsey and Marvin Hagler doing calisthenics and manual labour such as chopping wood and then you have boxers doing weightlifting such as Tyson Fury and Ricky Hatton. So what is the right way for a boxer to train in relation to strength and conditioning?
I think conditioning is far and away more important than strength.

That being said you should be aiming to get stronger without necessarily getting bigger unless you are struggling in your weight class, but won’t be able to drop down to the next one.

Back