old time sherrdoggers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an old schooler, and even if I was I wouldn't see the need to convince everyone on this forum of that. I've never saw the reasoning for the elitist attitude of I've been here longer so me > you. It painfully reminds me of counter-strike, this forum is almost a mirror image of that game and what it went through. When it first started out there was a small community, in which people were friendlier and more helpful in general. It was only a matter of time before the game was exposed to the "mainstream" and got the attention that was deserved. Sadly when that began the amount of bigotry and hate was increased aswell. I think the problem is people don't realize when hobbies like this grow in popularity it always increases the chances of objecting opinions. Anyone whose played Counter-Strike in their time will know exactly what I'm talking about. People would always be trying to convince everyone else that they were "cooler" because they played back in beta 1, and anyone that started when retail came out was a "Newb".

This mentality is all to familiar on sherdog, if someone has joined past 04/05 they are automatically labeled a TUF Newb and therefore couldn't possibly know anything about MMA. Where really the truth is you can't possibly measure someones knowledge of MMA by anything as meaningless as a join date or post count. It's easy for someone to get into the sport and do a little research, and over time catch up with whats happened in the scene.

As for analzying fights that will always be subjective. Wether you've been a fan since 02' or 06' there's still going to be differences of opinions that don't pertain to how long you've been a fan. A prime example is the St.Pierre/Penn fight, old or new fans can argue that they feel Penn did more physical damage, where as others will say St.Pierre took the fight because he won 2 out of 3 rounds. An argument like this doesn't change if you've been a fan for 10 years, that doesn't mean you automatically know who is right, wether or not there is a fair explanation. This is the theory that annoys me the most on this forum. The same can be said in arguments of Fighter A vs Fighter B who have nevet matched up before. Not everyones going to share the same opinion, regardless of how long you've been following their careers.

As for me I'm basically a TUF fan, I watched UFC videos in the late 90s and enjoyed them at the time but being quite young I didn't take much interest past that. With the introduction of the show I was exposed to what MMA had evolved into. It was only a short matter of time before I was doing all I could to learn what I had missed over the years. Now I still wouldn't consider myself as knowledgeable as someone whose been keeping up with it in real time but I still consider my opinion just as relevant. Nor does me being a newer fan translate to having less respect for the sport and how far its progressed over the years.

With all that said I do agree with having a time set before you can post, I'd say 3 months would be fair. Atleast that way when people get banned they won't be able to make an account the same day and immediately start posting again. The only way I don't see this working is if they were to go by post count. That would be a terrible idea because then you would only have people trying harder to get their post counts up just so they can have enough to start a thread.

My only other advice is to judge people on what they have to say not how long they've been here or what color their belt is. Following something such as MMA for years does not make your opinion any more important than someone whose only been watching for months. Even though there post might be completely clueless, nothing is black and white and that's part of the purpose of a forum. If you don't like a certain thread theres a simple solution of avoiding it. The less attention it gets, the more chance it will vanish. Ironically people always seem to do the opposite by adding fuel to the fire.

He does not suggest true improvments, only limiting people who havent been here since he's been and trying to create some sort of old mans Sherdog club. This is a free forum to be used by the public. A member can post how they see hit. If they step out of line and break a rule they get banned or flagged. It is real simple. What he's asking for is elitism, not improvments Thats what makes this thread so ridiculous. What makes him smarter an more worthy of voicing his opinion than someone who joins a month ago? Absolutly nothing beyond a little number in his profile.

You MUST just skip to the most recent and not read the thread to come to this idea or you are the worst of the posters on this forum: you are the people who have a stupid opinion based on nothing but what you would like to believe reality is. I dont feel that i have asked for that or given that as an opinion at all please read or reread the thread.

Prelude- its not elitism and i like your post and fine with people like you, the only thing i slightly disagree with is that people who have watched it all at the time have a different understanding as to the magnitude of the fights: an example is that Silva's win over Sakuraba at the time was an upset, certainly not viewed as such now at all. Other than that i am glad that you watch mma all the time so do i its the best sport out there

omablata said:
I joined in 2002 but was banned for making some crazy comments about Don Frye...lol. I do agree with not letting people that have not been here longer than 6 months to start a thread. They need some MMA history and UFC is not the only org out there.

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THIS WAY

SHERDOG JOIN DATE DOES NOT EQUAL MMA KNOWLEDGE.

dale no it doesnt but its just one suggestions amngst many look for today we have yet another silva gets dropped all the time how would he fare against chuck thread and there are responces to it. We need to stop this via not posting responces or have the site change something its absurd....

DaleCaliente said:
WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THIS WAY

SHERDOG JOIN DATE DOES NOT EQUAL MMA KNOWLEDGE.

This just proves you have no idea what you are talking about, or what sherdog used to be like.

It's kind of given away in the title of the thread - Old Time Sherdoggers Thread

ncolby10 said:
First let me state that i am very pleased to see this page so popular and that i love new MMA fans i am no snob that things this sport is not cool now that everyone likes it. However sherdog has become flamedog or spampostdog. i have used sherdog exclusively for mma news since before my 2002 sign up date and love the place immensely i was here when the people logged in numbered in the tens on in the hundreds and i dont see any of the names i used to see. I like some of the new people alot juggo comes to mind love the hlights and the person with the third person one i dont remember their name but god additions. However i used to be able to enter the forum and see interesting news or rumors close to being fact now all i see are the (insert legend here), how would he d against chuck liddel or another modern fighter. I am proposing that sherdog not allow a thread from someone who has not been here a year display on the front page. I would also love to see a forum for persons who have been here longer too because i would love to see some posts from people who have probably stopped posting because its a waste of time. PLease do not reply im new and im cool, im sure you are i dont mean you i mean the new people who ruin it for you and me both. For all you tools with the 500 posts in three months and the other post whores who add nothing to this place please enter an amatuer mma event and dont tap when you get choked out go to sleep FOREVER please!
Brother, I couldn't agree with you more. We DO! need to stick together. By the way, do you think Tank could beat Chuck?

I've been here a long time, and for as long as I can remember, the same damn arguments have been going on for years.

"Whitebelts shouldn't be allowed to start threads."
"STFU newb!"
"(insert champion) is overrated"
"Why do you call me a newb when all you did is postwhore for two months, get an av and now call everyone else a newb?"
"Judo is the future of MMA"
"Pwn3nd!"

Those have all been going down for as long as I can remember... literally.

The only thing that's sort of new is the pride vs. UFC debate. That one seemed to come in with the TUFers. Before, everyone liked both orgs, but all pretty much agreed that Pride was better. There were a few UFC holdovers, but not many. The Pridehugging is really just a reaction to all the TUFness around here.

What got me into Sherdog guys was the fact that back in 98 there was no MMA on freak'in pay per view. I remember when I had the illegal cable box and I was able to watch all the UFC's for free up until I think it was UFC XI. I also got to watch all the pancrase matches Then they banned the dam sport and thats when i went to the internet and found Sherdog to keep me updated on the sport and what was happening in the sport. This was the only link I had to MMA and the UFC. Thats why I thought is was messed up when Dana Banned Sherdog and other MMA sites their Press credentials. UFC seems to forget these sites where here when the cable wasn't. It was these sites that kept the sport alive when the dam government tried to kill it.

Back then the forum was really simply and the there was not a lot of guys. This site has grown beyond what I thought if could ever grow and alot of the tribute is the mainstream fans and the TUF fans which is becomining Phenomenon in my opinion. Then they swithced the forum like twice since then and every time I lost my thread count. That kind of sucked, but hey its not the quanity but the quality right.

hola... I ain't no newbie, but I gots me a whitebelt.... hahaha

I was on the exact same boat as calf cruncher. I've been coming to this site for a long time, back when it was much simpler. its cool to see how much it has grown, but the flood of new people has its obvious draw backs.

and holy shit hola, i thought i had a low post count.

Ive been with Sherdog since april and it definetly is the biggest mma froum around, but the quality of thread starters is what making the posts suck, there should be a requirement to start a thread just like the av. How can we campaign for this? Wrirte a petition? Any suggestions?

sorry...some are much lower.....didn't look into the thread.......anyway.....what's the question again?

Now if only we could have a deep and thought-provoking conversation like this on something MMA related; we would all be happy.

Oh and to throw another curve-ball on this registration date/post count discussion: How high does paying to have a platinum account rank??

how about: People who pay > People who don't

this'll separate the men from the boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back