Oleg Maskaev's wins over Hasim Rahman

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rahman had the better career of the two but for some reason he just couldn't beat Maskaev.

Rahman had that bogus stoppage loss against Tua… while Maskaev was KOd (early in his career) in brutal fashion by both Tua and McCall.

In that first fight with Rahman, Maskaev is taking punches that put him down at other points in his career (and with decent frequency at that).
KO losses to Kirk Johnson, T-Rex Sanders, and Goofi Whitaker. Three guys who weren't quite at the level of Rahman.

Rahman was competitive against guys much better than Maskaev.

So what are some other fights where the lesser opponent had the edge on the better fighter?

Maskaev was really good, but I remember him getting knocked out of the ring most. Fucking brutal... I think it was Tua.

Ken Norton might be a really extreme example. If you didn't knock Norton out, he'd give you hell regardless of who you are. A guy who could arguably have wins over Ali and Holmes (more than one over Ali). Hit him with your Sunday punch early (if you were one of the better punchers in boxing history, of course), and you might have a win, though.

Doesn't really fit the thread too well, but I'll leave it up.

Last edited:
Tarver-Jones
Marquez-Pacquiao (even though he won only once, it was a brutal KO)
Bellew-Haye (timing mattered)
Norton-Jones for sure, Ali was given a gift in that 3rd fight
Ruiz-Holyfield maybe

Here's another one:
Robbie Peden vs Nate Campbell. Probably an even better example than Maskaev vs Rahman.
But similar in the sense that Peden beat him twice.

Maskaev was an underrated fighter. He comes from a rare tribe of steppe people hardened by the wars and raids of that land. I remember when he won the title I read an article about it saying that boxing is dead and all that BS.

Golota dominating Bowe then getting DQed twice is head scratching in more ways than one.

Back