Oleksander Usyk vs Tony Bellew

Tony gets smoked.

Usyk is at the absolute top of his game and Bellew is too inactive and fighting at HW. He won't be sharp coming down again. The Haye wins were probably nice pay cheques, but won't do him any favours coming back down to CW.

From the sound of Hearn I can understand he feels Usyk can absolutely compete with Joshua. I don't know how much confident is Usyk though. He seems to hesitate to move up at HW. Maybe feels he can't deal with the size disadvantage. Fighting at CW seems more safe and the money isn't bad either. He has had three multi million dollar fights in a row now. Bellew is about the money but more than that is about the attention of the British public. Bellew is the guy to end Haye's career. Like @Boxer said its two birds with one stone. I think its getting made by around November.
Id imagine there is concern that he isnt a fearsome puncher at CW so what is he packing at HW.

Real legitimate concern. But man, he is so much better than every HW its crazy. He would make them look completely stupid, assuming he can handle the power of the big boys and didnt get his head knocked off.

Id imagine there is concern that he isnt a fearsome puncher at CW so what is he packing at HW.

Real legitimate concern. But man, he is so much better than every HW its crazy. He would make them look completely stupid, assuming he can handle the power of the big boys and didnt get his head knocked off.

He is definitely not the biggest puncher. Who knows maybe a smart bulk to around 230 pounds might put some pop in those punches. But you are right it's a legitimate concern.

Probably he can't talk about the move up to HW also because of the politics with sanctioning bodies. All four belts will be impossible to hold for a long time and if he runs his mouth too much about HW expect him to get stripped off a title soon.

Same reason Id love to see this fight or bellew vs Gassiev. Always liked him as a fighter, then he opens his mouth and turns in to a c*nt

In all fairness he is definately deserving of this fight. He would've been in the tournament had he not given up the WBC to chase Haye. Cant blame the guy for that. I don't see this fight happening, but on the flip side what are his other options? Is anyone really interested in Bellew vs Fat Fury/Whyte? the only fighters Id like to see him in with at HW are the young English fighters like Gorman/Dubois/Fury, but theres no money in these fights

I think Whyte would knock his head off. I'd like to see him against the Dubois's of this world but at this stage of his career those fights wouldn't make sense financially as you say.

Usyk has fought a HW before in Joe Joyce, fair enough it was an amateur fight but Usyk had to dig deep in that fight simply to overcome the size.

Usyk showed he was a fearsome competitor though literally going toe to toe out of frustration that he couldn't control Joyce until he had worn him down.

It does show though Usyk is a CW not a HW, sure he's more skilled than practically everyone up there but if he bulks up to compete that will have a direct effect on that hand speed, mobility and cardio he's famous for.

His best fight at HW is Deontay Wilder, Wilder only fights 7 lbs heavier than Usyk's walk around weight of 220 lbs but he'll want Joshua for the money.

Apparently its been agreed to fight in the UK and all that's left is to thrash out the money situation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/6895197/tony-bellew-agrees-oleksandr-usyk-fight-slams-deontay-wilder/

Tbf this isn't big news because it was always going to be in the UK but all this shows is that the deal is advancing, I can't see how this doesn't get done now.

Ffs ....... Deontay vs Fury, AJ vs Povetkin, Bellew vs Usyk then the big one in April for the unification.

Plus we just got WBSS CW final and Whyte vs Parker, when has HW / CW boxing ever been this lit in recent memory? think you have to go back to prime Tyson for this sort of action if that?

If the UFC has done anything good recently, showing boxers to stop avoiding each other and get the mega fights while you can get them is definitely a benefit, that's what competition does.

Ffs ....... Deontay vs Fury, AJ vs Povetkin, Bellew vs Usyk then the big one in April for the unification.

Plus we just got WBSS CW final and Whyte vs Parker, when has HW / CW boxing ever been this lit in recent memory? think you have to go back to prime Tyson for this sort of action if that?

Don't forget we had Wilder/Ortiz and Gassiev/Dorticos this year. Plus Povetkin's highlight reel and Chisora/Takam as FOTY.

Back