? on neck training (Muay Thai)

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've seen a lot YouTube videos of nak muay doing a lot of neck extension where they have their teeth clinch onto a towel with weights attached. I was wondering if they also train other parts of the neck such as the side of the neck or perform neck flexion?

There was a poster here that reccomended doing isometric exercises with the neck - pushing into a wall for 10 seconds etc. My gym has us doing bridges before clinch work to 'strengthen the muscles' and wrestling bridge drills.

Some people think they are dangerous and do other exercises instead.

Like this video

I was taught the weighted towel way (or with a headgear). At some gyms, i did bridges and their variation for the side.
But the last years, i only do shrugs, very good/long warm up, and just a lot of clinch work. And am satisfied with the results...
But when it comes to those things, it's bro science to me. It just from personal experience over the years, it has no scientific explanation behind it. So I don't know what's the most effective, and the less dangerous...

I was taught the weighted towel way (or with a headgear). At some gyms, i did bridges and their variation for the side.
But the last years, i only do shrugs, very good/long warm up, and just a lot of clinch work. And am satisfied with the results...
But when it comes to those things, it's bro science to me. It just from personal experience over the years, it has no scientific explanation behind it. So I don't know what's the most effective, and the less dangerous...

Between the weighted towel and headgear, which one did you prefer the most?

Clearly headgear. They say that the towel also trains the jaw, but i hated that shit... It's make you look cool and hardcore and all that, like kicking banana trees, but man did i hate it...

Clearly headgear. They say that the towel also trains the jaw, but i hated that shit... It's make you look cool and hardcore and all that, like kicking banana trees, but man did i hate it...
It'll fuck up your teeth in the long run anyways

Stick with tried and true methods

I've seen a lot YouTube videos of nak muay doing a lot of neck extension where they have their teeth clinch onto a towel with weights attached. I was wondering if they also train other parts of the neck such as the side of the neck or perform neck flexion?

thanks for bringing this up, I used to do the bite the rope neck exercise, I need to get back on it.

I have never seen thais doing anything other than that.

Just clinching alot is a pretty good workout for the neck itself really.

that being said, im sure theres some thais out there doing additional neck exercises, and i would guess it would be something like this.

thanks for bringing this up, I used to do the bite the rope neck exercise, I need to get back on it.

Lol, no problem. I have a quick question for you. Did you a notice any differences in your in ring performance when you were doing your neck training?

Also, how is your conditioning with the snorkel been going?

Lol, no problem. I have a quick question for you. Did you a notice any differences in your in ring performance when you were doing your neck training?

Also, how is your conditioning with the snorkel been going?

for the snorkel: my friend is a respiratory therapist, we spoke about it and did some reading online. He advised me not to do it, because it wont do anything but make you take larger deeper breathes, which could potentially mess up your breathing pattern or technique, if that makes sense.

I didnt notice any difference in fighting with the neck training however I still think it is a important thing to do. In general, i think its a good idea to just copy whatever the thais are doing.

Back