? on Power Cleans

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Would the power cleans have a certain advantage over kettlebell swings for sport related performance? My thinking is yes since the power clean requires you to explode the weight up from a dead stop opposed to a kettlebell swings where the movement is more of a continuous ballistic exercise. I'm curious, to hear from you guys and oh yeah, where's Tosa?

also depends on your sport. if you wanna suplex people, i would rather be good at cleans.

swings are easy to learn and teach. cleans not so much. both should be used at times imo.

i think well rounded athletes should use every beneficial tool/exercise they can get and don't exclude one or another.

so if you have time, knowledge, barbells and kettlebells/dumbbells around, use both.

Clean is a vertical jump, swing is a broad jump. They train the body differently and thus should both be used.

Tosa is somewhere in the Canadian mountains, building up a huge Spirit Bomb to kill Cratos with. He's been at it for a year or so, so it's going to be a pretty big Spirit Bomb.

I wonder why so few novice and intermediate programs use squat jumps, since the technical execution is simpler than a clean, and it also works on vertical jump, and generally seems to work well.

Back