Once A Pioneer Of The Free Speech Movement, UC Berkeley Is Now Giving In To Violent Rioters.

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Thread Index:

---

Berkeley cancels Ann Coulter’s speech over fears of more violent protests

By William Wan | April 19, 2017​

imrs.php

After riots and violent protests in and around their campus during the past three months, officials at the University of California at Berkeley said Wednesday that the school is canceling a planned speech by conservative firebrand Ann Coulter because of safety concerns.

In a letter to a campus Republican group that invited Coulter to speak, university officials said that they made the decision to cancel Coulter’s appearance after assessing the violence that flared on campus in February, when the same college Republican group invited right-wing provocateur and Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos to speak.

1024x1024.jpg

The violence and protests caused by Yiannopoulos’ invitation garnered national attention and forced officials to put the campus on lockdown. And after the university canceled the Yiannopoulos’ talk, President Trump criticized the school and threatened in a tweet to pull federal funds from UC-Berkeley.

The decisions by UC-Berkeley to cancel both events involving high-profile Republicans are especially notable given the campus’ role during the 1960s and 1970s as the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement and its long tradition of social protest.

Coulter said in an email to The Washington Post on Wednesday that the university had been trying to force her to cancel her speech by “imposing ridiculous demands” on her but that she still agreed “to all of their silly requirements.” She said that she believes her speech “has been unconstitutionally banned” by the “public, taxpayer-supported UC-Berkeley.”

Coulter said the university insisted that her speech take place in the middle of the day, that only students could attend, and that the exact venue wouldn’t be announced until the last minute. She said that she agreed with the conditions, but that apparently wasn’t good enough.

“They just up and announced that I was prohibited from speaking anyway,” Coulter said, noting that her speech topic was to be immigration, the subject of one of her books. “I feel like the Constitution is important and that taxpayer-supported universities should not be using public funds to violate American citizens’ Constitutional rights.”

A conservative national group that was helping to organize the event, Young America’s Foundation, said Coulter also made demands of her own, including that any students engaging in violence be expelled. In her email, Coulter said she is still planning to give her speech, and YAF spokesman Spencer Brown said she has told them she plans to appear at Berkeley on April 27.

“If Berkley wants to have free speech, they are going to get it,” Brown said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-speech-over-fears-of-more-violent-protests/

Arkain2K says: "If you truly values Democracy, you'll have to accept that vote results don't always go your way. If you truly values Free Speech, you'll have to accept that other people's opinions aren't always what you like to hear. To riot against that is to riot against the very foundation of our Nation."

Last edited:
Let CWP holders carry on campus. Problem solved.

I honestly think a lot of these people are dumb enough to start a shootout based on what i have read here and on other forums.
Well it hasn't happened in other states that have had CWP campus carry for over a decade.

<NoneOfMy>

I don't know if it's really fair to blame the university for canceling. They have to protect their property, and having monthly riots over whacko visitors is not exactly doing a lot of good for their public image. You can be pro-free speech and also not want to keep allowing altercations that destroy your campus. They are in a bad spot.

If you want to blame someone here, I think you have to go straight to the rioters. If you hate a speaker, show up for a debate or stay home. What rioters (not protesters) have been doing lately is terrible for everyone and fornout country as a whole.

I honestly think a lot of these people are dumb enough to start a shootout based on what i have read here and on other forums.
Firearms being allowed on campus is how they were able to get the Texas clock tower guy.

While the campus silencing of Anne Coulter is wrong, it shouldn't make you feel like shooting people.

And I can't believe that's a serious sentence in the discourse today.

I don't know if it's really fair to blame the university for canceling. They have to protect their property, and having monthly riots over whacko visitors is not exactly doing a lot of good for their public image. You can be pro-free speech and also not want to keep allowing altercations that destroy your campus. They are in a bad spot.

If you want to blame someone here, I think you have to go straight to the rioters. If you hate a speaker, show up for a debate or stay home. What rioters (not protesters) have been doing lately is terrible for everyone and fornout country as a whole.

How about this: update the campus rule to add automatic expulsion for any student who riots and destroy school property simply because they don't like something somebody else says.

How about this: update the campus rule to add automatic expulsion for any Berkeley student who riots simply because they don't like something somebody else says.

It's mostly outsiders, not students. But yeah, expulsion for rioting sounds right.

The failure is on local law enforcement and campus PD.

While the campus silencing of Anne Coulter is wrong, it shouldn't make you feel like shooting people.

I think the idea of firearms in this thread is for people to protect themselves

I think the idea of firearms in this thread is for people to protect themselves
The idea is way more about fantasizing about shooting people they don't like. Getting worse too.

see the retard below this post for an example:

freedom is not free. when someone tries to take away the right to free speech, you go as far as you need to go

When did this one spot become the be all and end all for the state of discourse?

UC-Berkeley: The place where free speech ends and violence begins
by T.B. Lefever | Apr 18, 2017

1060x600-a082aadf9535d023711eb36134ac7a3e.jpg

The University of California, Berkeley, formerly known as the birthplace of the free speech movement by older generations of American liberals, has taken on a new identity in the minds of our nation's younger generations. For an exponentially growing number of millennials, the Bay Area college town is now the place where free speech ends and violence begins.

Back in February, America watched on in horror and disbelief as a mob of almost 2,000 turned out to "protest" a Milo Yiannopoulos event on campus. Fights were had, weapons were used, and fires were set. Ultimately, the rioting shut down the free-speech rights of Yiannopoulos and his team when the event was cancelled in a city built on the foundations of First Amendment freedoms. How's that for irony?

When the smoke cleared, approximately 1,500 Berkley students, self-named Antifa "activists" (short for Anti-Fascists – yes, more irony) and "Black Bloc" anarchists were blamed for more than $100,000 in damage done to the school and community – all because they didn't want someone with differing opinions to have a platform on their turf.

One female wearing what appeared to be a red Make America Great Again-style hat was attacked with pepper spray by an anarchist coward as she gave an interview with the media. Epitomizing the complete senselessness of the "protests", the hat worn by the victim turned out to not even be a Trump campaign hat, but rather a clever play on the iconic headwear that read "Make Bitcoin Great Again." As you can see, I use the word "turf" because this was less of a protest than it was a gang of thugs wreaking havoc in their own neighborhood at the sight of an outsider wearing the wrong colors.

Of course, the university tripped all over itself in its response. By blaming the entirety of the violence on a group of 150 "Black Bloc" anarchists based out of Oakland, Berkeley denied their own Dr. Frankenstein role in creating such a significant number of intellectually-intolerant monsters within the student body.

A strict diet of extreme-left wing and communistic indoctrination has turned Berkeley away from its classical liberal roots and towards a revolutionary third-world Che Guevara fantasyland. Being that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, Berkeley has established itself as ground zero for the cultural war now taking place.

In response to the February rioting that shutdown the Milo speech, Alt/New-Right activist Rich Black created a movement of his own. On March 4th, Black hosted the March-4-Trump Rally in Berkeley, and it garnered some pretty significant media attention. Pro-Trump rally goers were met with violence by larger numbers of Antifa attendees, but rather than shutdown and scare-off their opposition, Antifa’s attacks served to further unify their new enemy. Thus, the Liberty Alliance Revival was born — and we all tuned into this month’s episode of “Third-World Politics Comes to America” this past Saturday as they made their official debut.

This weekend’s event was dubbed Patriots Day and it featured several scheduled speeches by popular YouTube sensations such as Lauren Southern, Kyle “Based Stick Man” Chapman, Vaughn Neville, Irma Hinojosa, and Brittany Pettibone. Operating under the motto, “Punk’s not dead, it’s conservative”, the rally aimed to combat the bullying tactics of the Antifa movement and advocate for first amendment right to free speech regardless of who it might offend. That’s their story on the surface of course.

With memories of innocent people such as Kiara Robles being assaulted for simply wearing a hat that resembled a MAGA hat still fresh in their minds from this past February, Liberty Alliance Revival came ready to fight the always aggressive Antifa agitators. It didn’t take long for the whole thing to completely degenerate into a scene from the movie Gangs of New York as the two opposing sides battled it out with fists, sticks, knives, rocks, Pepsi cans filled with concrete, pepper spray, and M80’s. Don’t believe me? See for yourself below.

With all of this happening in the absence of any significant police presence, it appeared as if a stand down order was given to the Berkeley Police Department from above. In contrast to the previous two Berkeley showdowns, the “Patriot” faction appeared to emerge victorious. After running off opposing Antifa forces, members of the Liberty Alliance Revival celebrated the victory as their figureheads delivered their speeches. Do not doubt for a second that Antifa will be back to retaliate with a vengeance in the same way that LAR just did. There is no reason to think that this is anything other than the very beginning.

I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t something intensely satisfying about watching a bunch of people decked out in glorious red, white, and blue flags beat back an Antifa army while chanting “Trust fund commies, off our street!” — but it’s like eating a Supersized Extra Value Meal at McDonald’s. It feels great going down, and then you’re left feeling empty and sick over it as you realized you just poisoned yourself.

While there is no doubt in my mind that these Antifa kids need to be stopped, I worry that the events taking place in Berkeley are deteriorating into nothing more than two blindly allegiant tribes fighting for the sake of fighting. Dr. Seuss’s The Butter Battle Book was my favorite as a kid and I still have a copy of the book that I read to my own. Am I the only one that feels like this is turning into the Yooks and the Zooks escalating a war over what side of the toast the butter should go on?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/u...eech-ends-and-violence-begins/article/2620568

It's mostly outsiders, not students. But yeah, expulsion for rioting sounds right.
Then have the police do their jobs, and arrest those outsiders. Telling them to stand down is criminal.

Pulling federal funding from universities who put in place anti-free speech policies would be incredibly wholesome. If Trump did some kind of executive order for that, that would be the dream.

The idea is way more about fantasizing about shooting people they don't like. Getting worse too.

see the retard below this post for an example:
I can see that but people can only get pushed so far and get confronted with violence so much before they snap back too though.

AS AN EXAMPLE, you can't post on Facebook you're going to go collect "Nazi scalps", get in someone's face, grab them by the throat, reportedly fill glass bottles with M-80s and light and NOT expect to have someone cold clock blast you for it.

Just a real specific example I know but at some point one side is going to snap if they get zero help/protection from those in charge.

Like there was a girl with a "Make Bitcoin Great Again" hat at like a Milo even or something and got sprayed in the face by one of these pussy dreadlock wearing trust funding hippies.

How about this: update the campus rule to add automatic expulsion for any student who riots and destroy school property simply because they don't like something somebody else says.

They are not students. That will do zero good.

Back