Once A Pioneer Of The Free Speech Movement, UC Berkeley Is Now Giving In To Violent Rioters.

Free speech and hate speech are not the same thing

Here we go.

1) Do you know what the difference is and can you define it for me?

2) How easy is it to simply label words that offend you as hate speech?

The entire existence of the city of berkeley is unfortunate

Sharing a planet with that filthy backward cesspool makes me feel like I'm walking around with a giant infected wound on my body and I can't rest until it's been scrubbed down to nothing
It has a pretty long history of leftist hysterics. Some places just seem to attract lunatics.

Here we go.

1) Do you know what the difference is and can you define it for me?

2) How easy is it to simply label words that offend you as hate speech?

he joined a few days ago and is already in the WR saying stupid shit

do you think its worth it to reply to people who get banned every few weeks

The 4 word phrase is so applicable to so many failures in society:

This is the left

UC Berkeley plans extreme security ahead of Ben Shapiro's speech event
by Katie Utehs | September 13, 2017

free_speech_berkeley_83862-jpg-6ac6e_1a006888d73de4e1a2fce11c3ec068cc.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

UC Berkeley will seal off large parts of its campus like a fortress with a closed perimeter and a "very large" visible police presence Thursday, when the birthplace of America's free speech movement faces its next potential clashes.

BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Riots and cancellations have plagued conservatives scheduled to speak at UC Berkeley, from Milo Yiannopoulos to Ann Coulter. Now ahead of a planned speech from political commentator Ben Shapiro the University is increasing security.

"Our police did a comprehensive review and we're going to be acting on those lessons. We'll have far more police officers here, we're confronting anyone wearing a mask," said Dan Mogulof, spokesman UC Berkeley.

This map show building closures for the Shapiro event taking place in Zellerbach Hall Thursday night. Large concrete traffic barriers are being brought in to form a wide perimeter. UCPD has requested mutual aid from neighboring police agencies.

Shapiro is a conservative commentator, lawyer, and former Breitbart editor.

"We have two key commitments here: one is to free speech and the first amendment and the other is to the safety and well-being of our campus and we don't think they need to be mutually exclusive and we're going to do what's necessary to support both of those commitments," said Mogulof.

The Berkeley College Republicans are hosting the event.

"It is nice that they have this infrastructure in place. It's nice that they have the concrete barriers, but if they don't stand up to these thugs and they stand down those concrete barriers won't do much," said Naweed Tahmas with the Berkeley College Republicans. Tahmas is referring to violent protesters who've demonstrated at previous events.

The national group, Refuse Fascism, is calling for a non-violent speak-out outside the event. They say Ben Shapiro is part of a larger movement of fascism and they call the Donald Trump presidency a "regime."

"He's (Shapiro) a slick talking reasonable sounding man, but what he actually pushes forward is white supremacy, is misogyny," said Sunsara Taylor with Refuse Fascism.

"I think our students here are responsible enough to react accordingly to the message that is given and also to honor that there has to be a debate and there has to be a discussion," said Isabella Pao-Ling Chow, Cal undergrad.

"If there's no conversation happening here I don't see where else it can be so I'm a hundred percent for this speech happening here," said Felix Derosen, grad student.

Shapiro spoke on campus last year with basic security before the presidential election.

"We have seen extremists on the left and right in our city," said Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin, a Democrat who backed the police request to use pepper spray. "We need to make sure violence is not allowed."

http://abc7news.com/politics/uc-ber...rity-ahead-conservative-speech-event/2413233/

Nonsense, poppycock, rubbish.

Free speech must include most forms of hate speech, or it isn't free. If you aren't free to say things that others find hateful, then your freedom to express yourself isn't limited by your own intellect or emotions but by the sensibilities of others. Those sensibilities have been carefully trained and rewarded for taking offense at the slightest provocation and even where there is none to take.

It's a sad state when people think shooting others is a proper way to maintain the moral high ground against the new red brigade. How about urge the fucking authorities to do something about it? Do we really need to see someone pull out a pistol, shoot a few people, then get beaten to death in the middle of a mob?

It's a sad state when people think shooting others is a proper way to maintain the moral high ground against the new red brigade. How about urge the fucking authorities to do something about it? Do we really need to see someone pull out a pistol, shoot a few people, then get beaten to death in the middle of a mob?
Who said that? And last time they urged the authorities to do something nothing was done and the police let the situation devolve into complete anarchy and chaos. Please forgive people if they don't have the most confidence in Berkeley police at the moment.

Who said that? And last time they urged the authorities to do something nothing was done and the police let the situation devolve into complete anarchy and chaos. Please forgive people if they don't have the most confidence in Berkeley police at the moment.

Go through this thread. People are going "Hey, guns would be a great solution." and equally stupid shit. We're angry about Antifa violating the rule of law. Vigilantism, ignoring the rule of law, is not needed.

Go through this thread. People are going "Hey, guns would be a great solution." and equally stupid shit. We're angry about Antifa violating the rule of law. Vigilantism, ignoring the rule of law, is not needed.
You realize there's mobs intimidating and attacking people with weapons. Two wrongs don't make a right but can you really blame people?

You realize there's mobs intimidating and attacking people with weapons. Two wrongs don't make a right but can you really blame people?

Yes, yes I can. IF you cede the moral high ground, the war of ideas is lost, and a war of arms is all that is left.

Back