One Championship Finances

just hate that Friday morning (North American) time slot. I can never watch their shows.

What that article shows is unsustainable. Yes they see some growth each year but they also go more in debt each year. Basically tells you there per a customer/viewership acquisition costs are through the roof with no end in sight.

I suspected they were running at a loss but I didn't think it was this bad. Running at a loss is one thing, running with losses that are going exponential...yeah...that only ends one way. Guess I'll enjoy their events while they last, which makes me sad because I really do love their kickboxing and Muay Thai fights.

I hope ONE don't just takeover Southeast Asia, but the whole Asia including Australia and New Zealand.

The first line, or the last line? I mentioned "minor" twice. Either way a caning is better than prison.
They don't give out caning all the time.

Lee Kuan Yew once said, prison won't change a man because follow the rules, you get to eat and sleep and exercise. Spank a man's ass till he can't sit and he'll think twice due to the humiliation.

Singaporean prisons are no joke. There are no beds and multiple ppl share a cell and squat toilet. Probably the only "first world" country with this kind of prison.

I hope ONE don't just takeover Southeast Asia, but the whole Asia including Australia and New Zealand.
I hope they do eventually. It's a huge combat sports market. John Wayne Parr in high level MT in a cage would be awesome. No offence to his own promotion but he should be doing bigger fights.

I hope they do eventually. It's a huge combat sports market. John Wayne Parr in high level MT in a cage would be awesome. No offence to his own promotion but he should be doing bigger fights.

It might be a huge market in general but I'm not so sure its a huge combat sports market that you can make money in. There is a reason why even the UFC puts little into expansion in that part of the world. The money just isn't there from the traditional sources to invest heavily in that market. Look at ONE Championship finances who are by far the biggest player in the part of the world and they are hemorrhaging money. Even going back to Pride's heyday they didn't do much with outside of Japan. Even K-1, outside of South Korea barely touched that area.

They don't give out caning all the time.

Lee Kuan Yew once said, prison won't change a man because follow the rules, you get to eat and sleep and exercise. Spank a man's ass till he can't sit and he'll think twice due to the humiliation.

Singaporean prisons are no joke. There are no beds and multiple ppl share a cell and squat toilet. Probably the only "first world" country with this kind of prison.

S. Korean prisons are the same way. I think a lot of Asian countries are like that. Weed ain’t worth that shit.

Also factor in that wages and cost of goods in the US are higher than in Southeast Asia. ONE has been burning crazy money.
True for South East Asia in general, but cost of living in Singapore is among the highest in the world now. And to be honest, I've lived around that region off and on for years (mostly Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Bali) , and prices are going up all the time. You CAN live very cheaply if you live like the locals, but if you keep your Western habits the difference in what you end up spending really isn't that big. It's not like it was 20 years ago, when we felt like kings there on a European student budget.

And that humiliation doesn't end either. A guy I know in Singapore got caned years and years ago, and he says he still has scars all over his ass. It kinda sucks when you have to explain to the women you're with why you have scars on your ass from caning.

Such a solid article.... must read IMO... lets see hoe the things go for the rest of the year and 2019....
I want ONE to succeed, since it's right in my backyard and I get to watch live MMA. But the message and marketing their guys put out just reminds me so much of what those crypto guys were spouting throughout 2017 and early 2018.

Makes you wonder if their sophisticated investors even know anything about the history of fight promotion. It's objectively a 3rd tier fight org - they aren't even close to Pride in terms of roster and global importance and even copied a lot of the Japanese presentation elements - and even Chatri comes off as wanting to copy Dana.

My guess is that if he didnt lie about being a shareholder, Pac is holding shares through a shell company.

It might be a huge market in general but I'm not so sure its a huge combat sports market that you can make money in. There is a reason why even the UFC puts little into expansion in that part of the world. The money just isn't there from the traditional sources to invest heavily in that market. Look at ONE Championship finances who are by far the biggest player in the part of the world and they are hemorrhaging money. Even going back to Pride's heyday they didn't do much with outside of Japan. Even K-1, outside of South Korea barely touched that area.
I think this is a great point and worth mentioning again.

The truth is that anything martial arts related is in fact not as popular in Asia compared to the US. Soccer, basketball and baseball are far more popular than MMA, kickboxing and boxing even in countries most associated with martial arts (Japan, Thailand and Korea). The UFC and boxing are much much more popular in the west.

The idea that One Fc was going to capitalise on an "untapped market" dying to see fight sports is so simplistic it borderlines stupidity. Pride and K1 never managed to extend its reach in Asia beyond Japan and Korea simply because the people there aren't that interested.

I think the article makes it fairly clear that they're not really trying to make money from MMA. They are trying to create awareness of the One FC brand in an effort to increase advertising revenue. MMA competition is just their medium of choice for building advertising revenue opportunities.

They don't need huge names or global superstars, they just need the appearance of being a professional outfit and have a decent number of people looking at their product. They seem to be investing a lot of money in the hope that their brand exposure across such a large geographical distance pays off in terms of the advertising potential

they have been going for quite a long time now and have convinced a lot of investors to pony up despite not making any money and so they must have quite a robust and convincing business plan

"roster and global importance" aren't really important if all you're trying to do is build a platform to sell advertising space in Asia to Asian corporations... which is probably why they can give away their events for free on their app... data harvesting is worth bigger bucks than getting two guys to fight

I think the article makes it fairly clear that they're not really trying to make money from MMA. They are trying to create awareness of the One FC brand in an effort to increase advertising revenue. MMA competition is just their medium of choice for building advertising revenue opportunities.

They don't need huge names or global superstars, they just need the appearance of being a professional outfit and have a decent number of people looking at their product. They seem to be investing a lot of money in the hope that their brand exposure across such a large geographical distance pays off in terms of the advertising potential

they have been going for quite a long time now and have convinced a lot of investors to pony up despite not making any money and so they must have quite a robust and convincing business plan

"roster and global importance" aren't really important if all you're trying to do is build a platform to sell advertising space in Asia to Asian corporations... which is probably why they can give away their events for free on their app... data harvesting is worth bigger bucks than getting two guys to fight

Could be some truth in this scenario.

One championship is just a facade to pretend they really care about their fighters while in reality they do not. If they do how come that non evolve-mma fighters who are champions barely make 12 k $? Yes you read it right, there are ex championsho have made 3000$+3000$, i will remember that Vitaly Bigdash only got 10 k $ totally for beating Igor Svirid back in 2015.

That proves a lot of how shitty One is in reality and since south east asia are corrupted it is easy to manipulate media with a couple of 100 $. If there are some journalist against them ONE can just threat them by suing them for defaming their brand.

Life is cheap in south east asia, remember that!

One championship is just a facade to pretend they really care about their fighters while in reality they do not. If they do how come that non evolve-mma fighters who are champions barely make 12 k $? Yes you read it right, there are ex championsho have made 3000$+3000$

Life is cheap in south east asia, remember that!

<45>

Back