One in twenty Toronto residents can't speak English or French

The liberal party of Canada is insane. They don't give a shit and only want votes. This is why Trudeau jr was pandering so hard and playing dress up.

Trudeau is going to do down as the worst Prime Minister in the history of Canada. He is a complete buffoon.

Trudeau is going to do down as the worst Prime Minister in the history of Canada. He is a complete buffoon.
I remember reading a history of Canada years ago in which the writer made the observation that Canada has never had a truly great statesman, but has become a great nation nonetheless due to the fundamental decency of its people.

Who cares?

There are tons of old.Greek and Portuguese people in my area that probably can't speak English.

Their kids all learn it eventually. Just like they always have.

This is a non issue.

This is not normal for Canada and is something that has recently happened thanks to Trudeau. Gotta get those liberal votes one way or another. I get it, you're an immigrant and want to think everything is fine.

The kids of immigrants are going to school with poor English and immigrants that can work struggle. This is not normal for a country.

Its normal, shut up with the BS.

I remember reading a history of Canada years ago in which the writer made the observation that Canada has never had a truly great statesman, but has become a great nation nonetheless due to the fundamental decency of its people.

Most Canadian politicians are boring and don't draw too much attention to themselves which is why most people find Canadian politics to be rather dull. The politicians who have done the most damage, Trudeau and Trudeau Jr., are both attention whores who want to be international superstars on the world stage. Justin Trudeau, like his father, sees himself as a celebrity that should be worshiped and adored. His motto is Trudeau first, Canada last.

Meh, the number is probably higher than that. They are easier for shitty labor jobs to exploit and are not any competition to the rest of us -- but yes, Canada has official languages so ability to communicate in them should be a prerequisite for citizenship

There Is a strategic push for this.

The Canadians need to learn the language of their guests , not the other way around

I hope you don't mind my interjection. I remember reading a history of Canada years ago in which the writer made the observation that Canada has never had a truly great statesman, but has become a great nation nonetheless due to the fundamental decency of its people.
In a similar vein, Tolstoy wrote in War and Peace, "Kings are the slaves of history". Here, Tolstoy is often implying the reverse of what you are implying, that leaders are blamed for the negatives of society. "War and Peace" is both a novel and a history text on the invasion of Russia under Napoleon. Tolstoy goes to great lengths to show how outcomes, mostly of battles, are often independent of the orders of commanders. It is a fascinating read, with brief consideration of a historical conspiracy theory about the mayor of Moscow ordering a false flag burning of the city. It is interesting to me to see how far discussions in current sherdog threads go back in old writing.

I lived in Toronto for a few years, from around 2009 to 2014, and although that number does seem high when I think about it I'm actually not surprised. There's an awful ammount of people that can't communicate well using either national languages. It's sad but hey we're a postnational country, right? :(

It's like you don't want to genocide and stuff but at certain point there's a convienence it seems like you had but now you have less of it.

I live in richmond hill. Work in markham. Most of the people where i live are chinese or Iranian in my neighbourhood. Maybe 90% and higher can speak english. Those that cant are usually seniors. The workplace is south asian/asian/white/black.
Richmond Hill and Markham are very affluent communities, so that doesn't surprise me. Go to agincourt, malvern, rexdale and St. Jamestown and watch that percentage change dramatically.

Having it be over sich a large area and population is worthless. There are parts of Toronto where 100% can speak the language and areas where 80% can't.

This study isn't granular enough to show how bad it's getting.

<Huh2>

Parents should be making sure that they themselves and their kids speak English. Another nail in the coffin of multiculturalism. Canada's official languages are English and French.
A buddy of mine is Macedonian, his wife is from the Philippines, they have a one year old son. He is constantly giving his in laws and parents shit for not speaking English to the boy. Because as an immigrant he recognises the importance of proper english.

I live in a small town and whenever I go to mcdonalds it's always some foreign dude or woman that can't speak English fucking up my order. I will straight up tell these workers now I need someone who speaks English, and that I don't understand their language. I honestly don't care how rude it seems. Lmao

A buddy of mine is Macedonian, his wife is from the Philippines, they have a one year old son. He is constantly giving his in laws and parents shit for not speaking English to the boy. Because as an immigrant he recognises the importance of proper english.

Your friend is an idiot and you obviously have never lived in a multi-lingual household. My parents only spoke to me in Cantonese and i (and my brother) had no problem speaking and writing in french and English. Knowing multiple languages is good thing. As long the kid is in an environment (day care or school with people who speak English for example) they will have no problem adapting and figuring what is English and what isn’t. My parents only speak to my nephews in Cantonese and my brother and his wife use both and those kids have no problem speaking English.

Back