One pair of gloves for everything

You can't spar with the Fairtex BGV9 , but with the BGV1 you can.
oehhh so now I have Hayabusa T3 and Fairtex in my choosing. I am going over to pure western boxing. It's a bit disapointing I mostly can get kickboxing gloves here.

I used to own Hayabusa 16oz Tokushus, which are the (pretty much identical) precursors to the T3s. The wrist support, I must admit, was very good, and I loved the gloves when I first got them because I had wrist problems.

But as I developed as a boxer and improved my technique, I grew to hate them. For some reason, they felt heavy on my hands and made me feel sluggish and lazy. Eventually it was as if I was sparring with a kind of handicap.

I finally tried 16oz Reyes and Winning, and they were a revelation.

I actually weighed all three pairs of gloves. The Hayabusas and the Winnings were both nearly spot on 16oz. The Reyes came in at 17.5oz. But the Reyes and Winnings felt totally different, viz., fast, sleek, and smooth.

So what I'm saying here is not really a strong argument against Hayabusa. I'm just reporting how they made me feel compared to other gloves. For all I know it's just an artefact of the hype around Reyes and Winning.

But I need to feel good when I put on gloves and get in the ring.

@topboxer11 gloves are actually quite well suited for sparring and bagwork.

I used to own Hayabusa 16oz Tokushus, which are the (pretty much identical) precursors to the T3s. The wrist support, I must admit, was very good, and I loved the gloves when I first got them because I had wrist problems.

But as I developed as a boxer and improved my technique, I grew to hate them. For some reason, they felt heavy on my hands and made me feel sluggish and lazy. Eventually it was as if I was sparring with a kind of handicap.

I actually weighed all three pairs of gloves. The Hayabusas and the Winnings were both nearly spot on 16oz. The Reyes came in at 17.5oz. But the Reyes and Winnings felt totally different, viz., fast, sleek, and smooth.

So what I'm saying here is not really a strong argument against Hayabusa. I'm just reporting how they made me feel compared to other gloves. For all I know it's just an artefact of the hype around Reyes and Winning.

I cant get winnings or reyes in the Netherlands, i think. Can't find it on the interwebz

I cant get winnings or reyes in the Netherlands, i think. Can't find it on the interwebz
I would've thought you could have them sent there from overseas. But they're pretty bloody expensive, especially with international postage added on.

I would've thought you could have them sent there from overseas. But they're pretty bloody expensive, especially with international postage added on.

Just asked in store why no store has winning, boon .. or any of those brands. It's indeed international shipping cost. A glove of 100 buck can easily become a way to expensive glove for most people. And so it does not sell.

So I need to choose between Muay, Twins, Fairtex, Hayabusa.

And like topic starter, I want a glove to do all.. :)

Just asked in store why no store has winning, boon .. or any of those brands. It's indeed international shipping cost. A glove of 100 buck can easily become a way to expensive glove for most people. And so it does not sell.

So I need to choose between Muay, Twins, Fairtex, Hayabusa.

And like topic starter, I want a glove to do all.. :)

You cannot go wrong with Thai product. Craftmanship is always perfect and they are build to last. If you don't have huge/long hands, I would go with Twins. Even if you hit the bag and pads, I doubt the padding will collapse and become too hard for sparring imo.

Fairtex BGV1 is also solid, but there is no grip bar and a lot of people don't like it.

You cannot go wrong with Thai product. Craftmanship is always perfect and they are build to last. If you don't have huge/long hands, I would go with Twins. Even if you hit the bag and pads, I doubt the padding will collapse and become too hard for sparring imo.

Fairtex BGV1 is also solid, but there is no grip bar and a lot of people don't like it.

Tnx. Twins are huuuge :) I think I will go for Hayabusa. The comments in this thread made me a bit more relaxed about buying them. For a second I thought all the positivity about it on-line was all marketing.

Are these Rival's better than Hayabusa? https://www.fruugo.nl/rivaal-rb7-fitnessplus-zak-bokshandschoenen-blauw-wit/p-18471039-40473926
44725112_max.jpg

Nope. These are fitness type gloves with molded foam. Hayabusa have layered foam and are miles ahead of those Rivals.
That’s right. If you want decent Rivals, you've gotta pay for the higher-end ones.

In general, it's best to avoid all lower-end fitness gear, no matter what brand.

I saw them for 250 euro. Thats to much for a hobby. So around 150 euro is perfected. Choice between hayabusa T3 and twins (bgvl-3 or 6?)

I may be a bit too late, but you can certainly buy Boon gloves here. I ordered them this sunday from Amazon.de and will be getting them tomorrow. Just search for "Boon boxhandschuhe".

Unfortunately brown was sold out in 16Oz so I got the white ones. I'm from Belgium and the price was 84,50 euros with free shipping so that is a tad bit cheaper and hassle free compared to importing an American brand glove with similar quality.

It was the only glove that fitted my criteria of good wrist support, durability and usable for sparring. A glove like that would normally cost at least 30-40 euros more.

In my opinion, buying from dutch shops is never an option unless you maybe buy Twins, those are the only decent quality and decent priced gloves here. I would recommend to buy from UK based shops like sugarrays.co.uk or geezersboxing.co.uk for boxing gear. ( only downside is that postage costs 15-20 pound )

Last edited:
A few years back I would have said there were 2 or 3 brands around with paddings that would have held up well for years to come. But my opinion about that has changed. Today, manufacturers produce gloves that do break apart after one or two years. They may still look in decent shape, but the padding isn't. Sorry folks, the cheap pads made in China just cost a fraction of those made in Brazil, Mexico or Germany.

A few years back I would have said there were 2 or 3 brands around with paddings that would have held up well for years to come. But my opinion about that has changed. Today, manufacturers produce gloves that do break apart after one or two years. They may still look in decent shape, but the padding isn't. Sorry folks, the cheap pads made in China just cost a fraction of those made in Brazil, Mexico or Germany.

Cleto Reyes still hold up, Fairtex still hold up, Twins hold up, UMA hold up, Ring 2 Cage and Topboxer hold up.

Title, Everlast and a few others don't hold up as well as they once did that's for sure.

Sparring gloves should be leather, 16oz typically if you're talking about boxing.
Vinyl gloves are fine for bag, and mitt work.
At my gym you have to wear leather 16oz gloves to spar. I have two pairs of gloves. Cheaper ones for bag work, and leather for sparring.

@brucelee show use your collection. not nunchaku, gloves.

if can afford it, never vinyl. always leather.

I'm all for the 2 gloves thing, it's what I do. However, to be honest, the first four years of boxing in which I was competing, I only every had one pair of gloves at any given time, all around training glove. First pair were adidas top of the line velcro training gloves which lasted about two years, but were completely destroyed. Second pair were some Ringside IMFs, an older model, which lasted for about a year and a half. Terrible gloves those Ringside IMFs, contributed to development of a lot of problems.

However, I see it all as a bit of trial by fire. Before I knew or cared enough or could afford what I use today, I got through the first years with two not so great, relatively cheap (both gloves, I was able to procure for around $40usd each) gloves.

I almost guarantee you that the Tokushu felt heavy because they are a front heavy glove. Cleto with the triple cuff would have the weight balance and more evenly distributed. Winning is magic, guess they balanced it well, no surprise being a Japanese product.

I use a pair of Everlast Elite 16oz gloves (with the velcro) for everything from sparring to bagwork. This way, I'm used to the feel of the gloves, and I'm more comfortable in sparring.

Whatever.

Go punch some lockers at school while you're at it hahahaha

Wrong. You need to build up your strength and work on technique if you are worried about your wrists. Sand bucket exercises and knuckle pushups will help.

Also water bags are very forgiving but you can still jack something up if you're limp wristed or are not using proper technique.

I have seen a person break their forearm on the heavy bag working with a wrap and 16's.

<mma4> .

Back