Open-face headgear: Winning or TopTen?

Dropkick

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the market for an open-face headgear and I need some advice on which to get.

In the past I tried some open-face: Twins (stiff and uncomfortable), TopKing (stiff and bulk), Leone (uncomfortable) and some aiba approved, like Adidas and Green Hill ones., but no one has completely fulfilled my expectations

Now I'm looking at these three:

Winning FG-2300

img59156475.jpg

2hyi9gg.jpg

Winning H-1600

headgear_h1600.jpg

TOP TEN AVANTGARDE

TOP-TE3.jpg

-Anyone knows the differences between FG-2300 and H-1600?

-Is the TopTen one comparable to the winning ones in term of lightness and capacity to absorb?

Thanks in advance

H-1600 is an older discontinued model. I heard that the top ten one is good too, but I haven't tried either.

Top Ten will be quite a bit heavier, relatively anyway. It's still a good headguard. What about the Adidas AIBA didn't you like?

H-1600 is an older discontinued model.
Well that narrows it down. Thanks!

Top Ten will be quite a bit heavier, relatively anyway. It's still a good headguard. What about the Adidas AIBA didn't you like?

thanks for the reply. I have had the Green Hill one, and used some other brands, like adidas but I don't know if it was the last model, in official competitions. Almost all the AIBA approved ones are good headguard, but mine FG-2900 looks more shock absorbent

Some of my friends have the top ten and really like it, colors are cool too.

Adidas makes good amateur boxing suff too.

Had plenty of Top Ten and Adidas headguards along with other AIBA models. Prefer the Adidas to the Top Ten, as it's lighter and it absorbs sweat (which I view as a plus).

The latest Adidas AIBA headguards have the velcro closure at the top. Identical to the same ones with thar amara lining and same cut, which have lace-up tops, which are slightly older. But, basically the same. You can see what they are and they've been out awhile though, so if you've worn an Adidas AIBA headguard it'll basically be the most current model, regardless

what's the point of getting winning open face headgear? no reason to pay that much for an open faced design.

Had plenty of Top Ten and Adidas headguards along with other AIBA models. Prefer the Adidas to the Top Ten, as it's lighter and it absorbs sweat (which I view as a plus).

The latest Adidas AIBA headguards have the velcro closure at the top. Identical to the same ones with thar amara lining and same cut, which have lace-up tops, which are slightly older. But, basically the same. You can see what they are and they've been out awhile though, so if you've worn an Adidas AIBA headguard it'll basically be the most current model, regardless

many thanks for the info

what's the point of getting winning open face headgear? no reason to pay that much for an open faced design.

In my gym when I spar I must wear an headgear, the FG2900 is a beautiful headgear, but for light spar, and when my sparring partner uses a decent pair of gloves, I prefer an open face.

Mostly open face suck and are a waste of money.

The TopTen or one aiba approved are not cheap, in Europe cost like 120-130 usd, the F2300 one, with postage and import fees, 170 usd.

If the fit on the Winning is better, the foam more absorbent and it's lighter (fg2300 is 9 oz, Top Ten 17 oz) then in my opinion 40-50 $ is a reasonable overplus.

many thanks for the info

In my gym when I spar I must wear an headgear, the FG2900 is a beautiful headgear, but for light spar, and when my sparring partner uses a decent pair of gloves, I prefer an open face.

Mostly open face suck and are a waste of money.

The TopTen or one aiba approved are not cheap, in Europe cost like 120-130 usd, the F2300 one, with postage and import fees, 170 usd.

If the fit on the Winning is better, the foam more absorbent and it's lighter (fg2300 is 9 oz, Top Ten 17 oz) then in my opinion 40-50 $ is a reasonable overplus.
Here's a post I made awhile back with some AIBA headguards there: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/93757471-post1449.html

I'll weigh my Adidas headguard when I get a chance. Sure I've weighed one in the past but can't find where I put the info. Think it'll be lighter than 9oz

Thank you very much guys!
I had a mind to buy the Winning one but one shop had the Asics's gear on sale at 50% off and I ended up getting a Aiba approved at half price.
I hate when I must fight with the Asics gloves, are hateful pillows, but the headgear is light and seems comfortable

foto13.md.jpg

foto23.md.jpg

I have had the Top Ten and must say it is great. It will last for long time and it is indestructable. The test results they published back in the 90ties when the first headgear model Olympia was released were showing that they absorb punches at a much better rate than all competitors. I like that the sweat flows down the side of the face. The Bayflex is a lot better than leather headgear imho. It will never smell like an old horse.

Back