Opinion about this video

Bjoern

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
There is a discussion in a German BJJ forum about this video and a lot of people don´t like it.

I think it is a good video with a good message and nothing negative about it. Would be interesting to hear some american opinions about the video.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. Many vets struggle w/ PTSD, alcohol abuse etc, and finding BJJ, and the brotherhood that comes with it, would be a good outlet for some.

Out of curiosity, what are the criticisms of the video on the German forum?

I don't speak German, but modern Germans are for the most part anti-fascist and very sensitive about stuff that they perceive to have fascist leanings. I'm assuming that video got wrapped up in such.

Meh, just a video. Little heavy on the patriotic symbolism but it's by a group that (I believe) is working with vets with PTSD so it fits who they are trying to market to/help/go after? Yeah, I would be interested in knowing what Zee Germans are saying. Oddly enough, I just spent five years training and competing in Germany.

Honestly it is pretty difficult to explain. I would say modern German society loves the average and hates everything that is exceptional.

Like I said I can´t understand but here is what some of the comments in the German forum are:

• People don´t like that BJJ is stylizized as a cure for such a problem. They feel it is a "too simple" solution.

• Questionable message (don´t know what exactly is questionable)

• This video only mentioned the guy who made it not the 100 who didn´t made it.
In my opinion the problem is that people in Germany don´t gernerally dream that big. It is all about being realistic, being reasonable, don´t make bif claims. Like I said our culture loves the average not the exeptional.

I mean I understand what people here think but for me that is totally crazy. The video has a positive message and there is nothing negative about it.

Honestly it is pretty difficult to explain. I would say modern German society loves the average and hates everything that is exceptional.

Like I said I can´t understand but here is what some of the comments in the German forum are:

• People don´t like that BJJ is stylizized as a cure for such a problem. They feel it is a "too simple" solution.

• Questionable message (don´t know what exactly is questionable)

• This video only mentioned the guy who made it not the 100 who didn´t made it.
In my opinion the problem is that people in Germany don´t gernerally dream that big. It is all about being realistic, being reasonable, don´t make bif claims. Like I said our culture loves the average not the exeptional.

I mean I understand what people here think but for me that is totally crazy. The video has a positive message and there is nothing negative about it.

I can totall get where they're coming from. I wouldn't go out of my way to criticize this, but I definitely agree that the way BJJ is sometimes presented as a cure-all or a one-step solution makes me uncomfortable.

In this particular video, they could have easily replaced BJJ with some religious practice, and it wouldn't have changed a bit. There's certainly something to be cautious of down that path.

Yeah. I think the video is cringy.

It is self loathing in how we try to project that bjj can cure anything and it is taking a topic that gets the Americans people to the heart.

I did not like it.

Assholes poopoo on other peoples coping mechanisms because they are projecting their own dissatisfaction with present circumstances.

The most important thing at play here is not even the BJJ itself in particular, but the fact that they have something intentional to engage with that has clear objectives to work towards and excel at. It just so happens that many combat sports (and grappling in particular in my opinion) happen to perform very well in this criteria.

Back