Opinion: Connor will NOT fight at 145 again!

If he loses his defense what relevance does he even have to fight in a bigger weight class.We just saw Nate beat his ass.He has to win his defense.
Sure, he would need to win a title defense. But he doesn't need to defend the title. He can rematch Nate, fight for the LW title, fight GSP, whatever without ever defending his title.

I don't see a guy content with just being a champ. I see a guy who understands the business side of a promotion that has been criticized for it's fighters not making enough money. He is looking at the big picture, and was able to get himself into a situation to potentially make a lot more money than if he just stayed at 145. He knows the fights that will get him the most money. He is striking while the iron is hot. If it backfires, he knows he is good enough to be the champ at 145. Worst case scenario, he ends up back where he was when he beat Aldo.

You can't blame him for going after the big money fights. Like I said, people complain that these guys don't get enough. If he brings in more money and attention, and maybe even changes the game a little bit, it could benefit other fighters as well. These guys have just a small window to make a living doing this. If fighters aren't content, I think maybe more of them should be out there trying to maximize their worth. At the very least, we shouldn't blame them for doing it.
That's a good point. I see it. I see the dollar bill meaning more than a belt in a sport where shelf life is typically short. Good post.

I see where you are coming from and respect it ....but don't you think it makes a farce of our sport??
No. Not really. Maybe I don't take this all as seriously as a lot of people. But I probably enjoy it just as much, if not more than most people. But then again, I'm pretty indifferent. I love the sport. I don't have favorite fighters. I don't dislike any of them. So I never really have any vested interest in the fights. I'm able to enjoy them for what they are. I feel like the fans who do play favorites and haters get more emotionally invested, and when things don't go the way they want, it ruins their day. They are just disgusted. I don't have that. So most of my experiences are good ones.

In regards to this specifically making the sport a farce, I don't have some preconceived notion of what it should be or what they should do. Hell, look how popular Pride was. Their titles were almost meaningless. Champs fought non-title fights and in tournaments just as much as they defended their titles. It was a spectacle. It was a freak show. But fans loved that shit. But not with the UFC. With the UFC, everything needs to "make sense", be calculated, and all of that. My top priority is good fights. You give me that and I'm happy.

Now, I do like the usual formula. Fighter comes in, works his way up, becomes contender, fights for title, defends title, and all of that. I enjoy it. I respect it. But it isn't the end all be all. For starters, while it is a symbol of accomplishment, it doesn't really mean you are the best. It just means you were able to beat the guy who was champ on a given night under a given set of circumstances.

For example, Frank Mir beat Minotauro Nogueira for the interim HW title. Was Mir really better, or was he just better on that night? Was he just better on that night because Nogueira had a staph infection? Did he just happen to have one of the best fights of his career on the same night Nogueira wasn't 100%? We will never know. But regardless, Mir won, and Mir was the champ. So it really didn't matter. Also, parity has been proven to be true in MMA over and over again. Even when a dominant champ does come along, somebody has their number. Nobody could beat Ronda, including Miesha Tate. But Holly Holm beat her. Then, Miesha was able to beat Holm.

So I don't believe in a such thing as "best". So it does devalue the title some for me. But then again, I can still enjoy it for what it is. I like the way it is set up. I like the title system. But at the same time, when they do things like issue interim titles, give title shots guys coming off losses, or guys on the lower end of the top 10, or whatever, I don't see it as some unacceptable travesty the same way somebody who takes the titles more seriously might.

Sometimes, I think you have to overlook the titles, though. How many guys are in the LW division? How LW fights are there in a year? It's gotta be a lot. How many title fights? Sometimes, you are lucky if there is 2. 3 is a good year for a title. This idea that we should avoid some great matchups in favor of making more calculated matchups that don't disturb the title picture isn't as good to me. If you have two prospects, for example, somebody might not want them to fight because one will derail the other, and if they are kept apart, maybe one day they can both navigate their way to a title fight unscathed. More than likely, one or both will end up losing at some point to somebody else anyways. More than likely, neither will ever see a title shot. If one of them does, they will have probably lost and some point en route to their shot. But there is no guarantee. You know what is a guarantee? The fight you can make now. What's that saying again about one in the hand being worth two in the bush? Some people didn't want Rumble to fight Gustafsson. Some people didn't want Edgar to fight Mendes. Hell, some people didn't want McGregor to fight Mendes. People accused him and the UFC of keeping him away from wrestlers. But it was a lot of the fans who didn't want him to fight one because they thought it would prevent the McGregor/Aldo fight.

Make the best fights you can at the time. Strike while the iron is hot. Let the chips fall where they may. If it works out to the benefit to the established title system, good. If it doesn't sometimes, it's okay. If you have to shake it up to put on good fights, do it. No champs want to move up and fight the bigger guy. Penn is the only guy in the UFC to ever do it. When you finally have a guy willing to do that, I say why not?

That's a good point. I see it. I see the dollar bill meaning more than a belt in a sport where shelf life is typically short. Good post.

I will say that I do understand why some people don't like that. On one hand, Zuffa is running a business. Their goal is to make money. Even though some people do get into it for the love of the game even when there might not be a lot of money to be made. I think Invicta might be a good example. For the fighters, it's a job. You work to make money. Though there are some guys who would probably fight for free because it's what they love doing. But you can't blame neither the company nor the fighters. On the other hand, we are consumers. Some of us pay with our hard earned money for their product. So I get it.

But it is worth mentioning, even when greed takes over, at least with the UFC, you still talking about top fighters vs other top fighters. So even if something doesn't make the most sense, it still makes some sense.

Sure, he would need to win a title defense. But he doesn't need to defend the title. He can rematch Nate, fight for the LW title, fight GSP, whatever without ever defending his title.
How can he fight for the lightweight title with a loss to Nate who's a mid tier lightweight.Thats off the table man lol He can't fight Gsp that's the hardest sell of them all.Again it boils down to him having to defend his title

Looked fine in his last featherweight fight. It actually looked like his best weight cut so far. "He can't make the cut" is just Sherbro talk that one person reads and parrots it and the next person does the same. There's no actual fact or basis to think it's even remotely true. He has fought, what, fifteen times at featherweight in his career?
Disagree. Conor is the next Rumble Johnson. He will move to 155 very soon and will likely lose more than he wins. Aura is gone for good. Everyone will be Uber confident entering the cage against a one trick pony.

I will say that I do understand why some people don't like that. On one hand, Zuffa is running a business. Their goal is to make money. Even though some people do get into it for the love of the game even when there might not be a lot of money to be made. I think Invicta might be a good example. For the fighters, it's a job. You work to make money. Though there are some guys who would probably fight for free because it's what they love doing. But you can't blame neither the company nor the fighters. On the other hand, we are consumers. Some of us pay with our hard earned money for their product. So I get it.

But it is worth mentioning, even when greed takes over, at least with the UFC, you still talking about top fighters vs other top fighters. So even if something doesn't make the most sense, it still makes some sense.
Truthfully GSP, Silva and some others could have had huge pay days if they would have taken superfights and moved weight classes. Now they are virtually irrelevant.

Not even a GSP fan and I think Conor got no chance of beating GSP..

all of what you said is possible, but more than likely is that they just are fighting over money based on revenues that conor is generating - and the ufc is holding strong - these stories hide the truth that its usually about a ridiculous money struggle - lots of negotiations where you're fighting over a share of money get nasty, no one wants to budge - the public gets fed half the story / a fake story and people go nuts jumping to conclusions - this is how high level public negotiations typically go - im guessing conor tried to hold out for more money after the fight was officially announced and the ufc played hard ball

kind of reminds me of what happens in the nfl when players dont show up to training camp without a deal in place - just keep playing games until they get what they want - but the ufc hasnt been built on letting any one fighter get too big, thats like the one thing they are totally against - its the ufc product, not any single fighter

How can he fight for the lightweight title with a loss to Nate who's a mid tier lightweight.Thats off the table man lol He can't fight Gsp that's the hardest sell of them all.Again it boils down to him having to defend his title
Are you messing with me? That is why he was going to have a rematch with Diaz. He was going to try to get back into the situation to get those fights by redeeming himself by beating Diaz. If he fights Diaz and wins, he doesn't need to defend his title.

I feel like you are intentionally ignoring the Diaz rematch as if it was never on the table. The fight he just got pulled from was a fight with Diaz, not a FW title fight. If he wants to fight for the LW title, beating Diaz would serve the same purpose as beating Edgar. In fact, it would go further in getting him that fight because right now there are doubts to his ability to fight a LW. Beating Diaz would show he can.

Let's say for the sake of argument he was never pulled from UFC 200. The event rolls around and he beats Diaz. Now he is back where he needs to be to go get more money fights. Jesus Murphy. I feel like I'm being punk'd.

Also, Diaz is not a mid-tier LW. There are almost 100 LWs in the UFC. He is at least a top 10. He has two victories over guys ranked in the top 10. I'm pretty sure he is a consensus top 5 right now.

Last edited:
Not even a GSP fan and I think Conor got no chance of beating GSP..
Does anyone really believe he could beat GSP? I mean, never say never. But I don't think anyone in their right mind would pick McGregor over him. But it would surely be the biggest money fight they could make. Hell, maybe GSP could finish him. Maybe that is just what GSP needs is a good finish.

Are you messing with me? That is why he was going to have a rematch with Diaz. He was going to try to get back into the situation to get those fights by redeeming himself by beating Diaz. If he fights Diaz and wins, he doesn't need to defend his title.

I feel like you are intentionally ignoring the Diaz rematch as if it was never on the table. The fight he just got pulled from was a fight with Diaz, not a FW title fight. If he wants to fight for the LW title, beating Diaz would serve the same purpose as beating Edgar. In fact, it would go further in getting him that fight because right now there are doubts to his ability to fight a LW. Beating Diaz would show he can.

Let's say for the sake of argument he was never pulled from UFC 200. The event rolls around and he beats Diaz. Now he is back where he needs to be to go get more money fights. Jesus Murphy. I feel like I'm being punk'd.

Also, Diaz is not a mid-tier LW. There are almost 100 LWs in the UFC. He is at least a top 10. He has two victories over guys ranked in the top 10. I'm pretty sure he is a consensus top 5 right now.
No it didn't if it had ts implications it would have been at 155

No it didn't if it had ts implications it would have been at 155
He was going to fight RDA before the Diaz fight. If he beat Diaz, Dana wasn't opposed to letting him fight Lawler. He lost and that went away. You don't think if he beat Diaz in the rematch it would open those doors back up? The only thing stopping it is your made up rules, which don't exist. You think beating another FW would go further in getting a shot at RDA than beating Diaz, a top ranked LW? I don't care if it is at 170 or 155. It would still be a win over Nate Diaz. The only reason it matters to you is because you seem to think they are bound by these rules. Well, if they followed your alleged rules, they would never had him fighting out of FW to begin with and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

According to your guidelines, Sonnen would never have fought Jones. Nick Diaz would never have fought GSP. Gustafsson would never have fought Cormier. Half of Couture's title shots were probably unwarranted. Lesnar fast tracking to the title? Money talks, and when money is on the line, they will do what they want, even if it doesn't make sense in your reality.

Right now, the going theme is the UFC putting on fights that don't "make sense" or as you said, are irrelevant. We wouldn't be talking about that stuff if they followed things the way you are claiming.

They want McGregor in the money fights as much as he wants to be in them. That is why they were giving him a mulligan and letting him run it back with Diaz rather than him going back to FW to defend. If they want him in a LW title fight, and he beats Diaz at 155, 170, or 180 catchweight, they will put him in that fight.

I feel sorry for Aldo and Edgar... Those fighters will never fight Connor (at least not at 145)
I have a feeling of Conor never fights at 145 both aldo Edgar will move up to 155 for one fight with him.

Knowing Dana he will make them
Give up the title

He was going to fight RDA before the Diaz fight. If he beat Diaz, Dana wasn't opposed to letting him fight Lawler. He lost and that went away. You don't think if he beat Diaz in the rematch it would open those doors back up? The only thing stopping it is your made up rules, which don't exist. You think beating another FW would go further in getting a shot at RDA than beating Diaz, a top ranked LW? I don't care if it is at 170 or 155. It would still be a win over Nate Diaz. The only reason it matters to you is because you seem to think they are bound by these rules. Well, if they followed your alleged rules, they would never had him fighting out of FW to begin with and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

According to your guidelines, Sonnen would never have fought Jones. Nick Diaz would never have fought GSP. Gustafsson would never have fought Cormier. Half of Couture's title shots were probably unwarranted. Lesnar fast tracking to the title? Money talks, and when money is on the line, they will do what they want, even if it doesn't make sense in your reality.

Right now, the going theme is the UFC putting on fights that don't "make sense" or as you said, are irrelevant. We wouldn't be talking about that stuff if they followed things the way you are claiming.

They want McGregor in the money fights as much as he wants to be in them. That is why they were giving him a mulligan and letting him run it back with Diaz rather than him going back to FW to defend. If they want him in a LW title fight, and he beats Diaz at 155, 170, or 180 catchweight, they will put him in that fight.
The truth hurts doesn't it.He doesn't beat Nate ever let's make that clear at any weight class.Lawler would fucking murder him and beating Nate at 170 doesn't give you Lawler .you realize if he lost to Nate at 155 he would be stuck in fw.You fucking troll

Gsp vs Diaz was in their respective weight classes you idiot that's a horrible analogy.Better yet all the examples you gave were fighters in their respective weigh classes.Since when does Conor fight at 170 other than his 1 attempt and getting utterly destroyed

Back