Opinions on Avenged Sevenfold

CoolB

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Going to See Prophets of Rage in August and Avenged Sevelfold is the headline band. I know I've heard of them but can't say I've ever listened to them.

What's the sherdog opinion of them?

Songs tend to be like 2 minutes too long.

Not bad. I'm not sure what their newer stuff sounds like but I liked songs off their first few albums.

Going to See Prophets of Rage in August and Avenged Sevelfold is the headline band. I know I've heard of them but can't say I've ever listened to them.

Their first 2 Albums are my favorite. After that, they admit they sold out to have a more mainstream radio friendly sound and boost their fanbase and are pretty unapologetic about it. And they should be since it made them millionaires and their newer albums still had some good songs. Although Hail to the king was a blatant ripoff album that they called "Paying tribute" to bands they grew up loving. But people call it blatant ripoff for a reason. They basically completely stole songs like Enter Sandman, Sad but true and re-wrote them enough that it is a new song, but not enough that you can't sing the lyrics to the original songs alongside the new song perfectly in time.

The annoying thing about Avenged Sevenfold is not necessarily the band(Since I like a lot of their stuff). It is the fanbase. They have a huge following of wrist cutting emo teens and young 20's types who never outgrew the eyeshadow(Scene nation represent yo)), and 3/4th's of them are girls. And they are a very vocal presence on the internet. God forbid you ever say anything that is disdainful or even remotely true like "Mike Portnoy is a better drummer than the Rev was". You will get swarmed. And By swarmed I mean hundreds of girls yelling that Sevenfold is the greatest band ever and all their guys are the best guitarists of all time, best singer of all time, the Rev the best drummer and songwriter of all time etc.

They will also largely say "I hate heavy metal, except for avenged Sevenfold", which will in turn get more music appreciating types pointing out that Sevenfold is not really metal anymore and doesn't count and it turns into a funny Clusterfuck of funny shit. on loudwire when they had the "best drummer and best guitarist" of all time polls, it was incredibly entertaining to read. We got to watch these preteen kids losing their minds as they had their first period and vented their rage upon the world. One I saved Screenshot of once because the girl made her boyfriend delete his posts by threatening to break up with him because of the special band saved her life and gave her a reason to live lol.

I wish I had taken a screenshot way back when his posts were there. They were Harmless "I think Syn is a good guitarist, but I agree with most her that Steve Vai is better" and the girl lost her shit, saying he betrayed her by saying this.
iYJiIMo

This is the kind of audience you will be moshing with. I usually try to follow mosh pit etiquette, but do feel free to bag tag and kick a few in the ovaries so they cannot reproduce

Their first 2 Albums are my favorite. After that, they admit they sold out to have a more mainstream radio friendly sound and boost their fanbase and are pretty unapologetic about it. And they should be since it made them millionaires and their newer albums still had some good songs. Although Hail to the king was a blatant ripoff album that they called "Paying tribute" to bands they grew up loving. But people call it blatant ripoff for a reason. They basically completely stole songs like Enter Sandman, Sad but true and re-wrote them enough that it is a new song, but not enough that you can't sing the lyrics to the original songs alongside the new song perfectly in time.

The annoying thing about Avenged Sevenfold is not necessarily the band(Since I like a lot of their stuff). It is the fanbase. They have a huge following of wrist cutting emo teens and young 20's types who never outgrew the eyeshadow(Scene nation represent yo)), and 3/4th's of them are girls. And they are a very vocal presence on the internet. God forbid you ever say anything that is disdainful or even remotely true like "Mike Portnoy is a better drummer than the Rev was". You will get swarmed. And By swarmed I mean hundreds of girls yelling that Sevenfold is the greatest band ever and all their guys are the best guitarists of all time, best singer of all time, the Rev the best drummer and songwriter of all time etc.

They will also largely say "I hate heavy metal, except for avenged Sevenfold", which will in turn get more music appreciating types pointing out that Sevenfold is not really metal anymore and doesn't count and it turns into a funny Clusterfuck of funny shit. on loudwire when they had the "best drummer and best guitarist" of all time polls, it was incredibly entertaining to read. We got to watch these preteen kids losing their minds as they had their first period and vented their rage upon the world. One I saved Screenshot of once because the girl made her boyfriend delete his posts by threatening to break up with him because of the special band saved her life and gave her a reason to live lol.

I wish I had taken a screenshot way back when his posts were there. They were Harmless "I think Syn is a good guitarist, but I agree with most her that Steve Vai is better" and the girl lost her shit, saying he betrayed her by saying this.
iYJiIMo

This is the kind of audience you will be moshing with. I usually try to follow mosh pit etiquette, but do feel free to bag tag and kick a few in the ovaries so they cannot reproduce

Good lord! I might leave after Prophets of Rage LOL.

Naw I'll probably stay but only because I've got lawn seats well back of the mosh pit area for this show. Live shows are almost always good even if I'm not a fan of the band. Hopefully these guys put a decent show on.

iYJiIMo

I don't really care if they have songs that sound similar to Metallica. Shepherd of Fire and This Means War are both badass songs. Who really cares if they sound mildly similar? I'd rather have more good shit to listen to rather than care about what sounds like what. I used to care about that stuff when I was a teenager but now it's like I don't give a damn, just keep putting out good music.

Metallica stole their sound from Mercyful Fate amongst other bands. Pantera completely ripped off Exhorder. Pretty much every band does it.

Waking the Fallen is a fantastic album. After that they became over-produced. Although, Bat Country is a good song.

I don't really care if they have songs that sound similar to Metallica. Shepherd of Fire and This Means War are both badass songs. Who really cares if they sound mildly similar? I'd rather have more good shit to listen to rather than care about what sounds like what. I used to care about that stuff when I was a teenager but now it's like I don't give a damn, just keep putting out good music.

Metallica stole their sound from Mercyful Fate amongst other bands. Pantera completely ripped off Exhorder. Pretty much every band does it.
It's not "Mildly" similar. It is the exact same song blueprint and drums with slightly changed riffs, to the point that even weekend Metallica fans could tell from a single listen. Plagiarism level same. Its one thing for a single song on an album to sound mildly like it was inspired by another song. Its an entirely different thing to realize you can name each song on the album and pair it with a counterpart from 10-20 years ago and a different better band's greatest hits. Complete lack of personal creativity and basically piggybacking off other bands greatest hits. They should have had to pay Royalties to several bands.

It's not "Mildly" similar. It is the exact same song blueprint and drums with slightly changed riffs, to the point that even weekend Metallica fans could tell from a single listen. Plagiarism level same. Its one thing for a single song on an album to sound mildly like it was inspired by another song. Its an entirely different thing to realize you can name each song on the album and pair it with a counterpart from 10-20 years ago and a different better band's greatest hits. Complete lack of personal creativity and basically piggybacking off other bands greatest hits. They should have had to pay Royalties to several bands.

The riffs are quite a bit different aside from the palm muting in the verse. I've played both riffs and no one would ever mistake them for one another outside the context of the complete song. Like I said, if you like Metallica, why wouldn't you like other bands shit that sounds similar? Let Metallica worry about lawsuits, just enjoy the music. Metallica has done their fair share of ripping bands off as well. Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Saxon...the list goes on. Hell the Four Horsemen even has the sweet home alabama riff in it.

There ain't shit going on in rock these days anyway so if some songs sounds a bit like Sad But True, then fuck it, just enjoy the fact that there's a newer song out that's catchy and has a bad ass riff.

The riffs are quite a bit different aside from the palm muting in the verse. I've played both riffs and no one would ever mistake them for one another outside the context of the complete song. Like I said, if you like Metallica, why wouldn't you like other bands shit that sounds similar? Let Metallica worry about lawsuits, just enjoy the music. Metallica has done their fair share of ripping bands off as well. Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Saxon...the list goes on. Hell the Four Horsemen even has the sweet home alabama riff in it.

There ain't shit going on in rock these days anyway so if some songs sounds a bit like Sad But True, then fuck it, just enjoy the fact that there's a newer song out that's catchy and has a bad ass riff.
The song is literally patterned over the other song as a whole. Just as much as this is

All original bandmates born in 1980s.
I had to check their birthdates. It is close. Actually right on the cutoff most major think tanks and Harvard use. So I guess both terms can apply.

I watched live on the Metallica tour, a festival, and in Feb this year as a headliner. When they headlined they put on a very good show, Hail to the king was meh but the Stage is good as far as albums. Higher and Paradigm were some good shit especially Higher when they played it live. Their "hardcore" fans are horrible though but then again alot of the hardcore Metallica fans were more unbearable.

I'd probably be more concerned about the opener, I know Denver is getting Three Days Grace and they don't really have energy with their new lead. Could be a bland start to the night if that's who is playing at the one you are going to.

I watched live on the Metallica tour, a festival, and in Feb this year as a headliner. When they headlined they put on a very good show, Hail to the king was meh but the Stage is good as far as albums. Higher and Paradigm were some good shit especially Higher when they played it live. Their "hardcore" fans are horrible though but then again alot of the hardcore Metallica fans were more unbearable.

I'd probably be more concerned about the opener, I know Denver is getting Three Days Grace and they don't really have energy with their new lead. Could be a bland start to the night if that's who is playing at the one you are going to.

Some band named Ho99or9 is the opener followed by three days grace, prophets and avenged.

They are okay, some decent songs.

But yeah, Rev was a great fucking drummer.

Saw avenged sevenfold in 2000 or 2001 with God Forbid and Hatebreed.

Back