Ortega: spamming guillotines

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
That will get him nowhere against the top dogs if he does not make hisstriking more effective.

I just can't picture Aldo, Holloway or Edgar getting finished like that. His BJJ is awesome but maybe ust a little too predictable.

His striking game is strange, he has good basics, defends well, maybe not very good head movement and footwork and, despite defending well with his hands, he does start getting tagged alot as the fight goes on. That is inevitable if his head movement and footwork are poor.

Very good and impressive win though, both guillotines were sick and slick, he masterfully got his hands in there, great fight.

EDIT: the word spamming is ust provocative and in reference to his future fights against better, well rounded opponents...where he might be spamming guillotines.

Last edited:
As far as last nights fight- I don't think he spammed it: I saw two attempts, one was a finish and the other would have been. He didn't spam, rather took the opportunities that Cub presented. And as Ortega said prefigt: Cub gets subbed and that his specialty- he didn't force or spam anything at all and was very patient and fought a well-rounded fight.

Last edited:
Top dogs? Cub was number 4...

Obviously he won't beat Holloway buy I think he has a shot against anyone else.

He had 1 gullotine choke attempt last night and got it. That isn’t spamming. He’s a submission expert.

I guess Cub was “spamming” punches to Brian’s body as well right?

Top dogs? Cub was number 4...

Obviously he won't beat Holloway buy I think he has a shot against anyone else.

why couldnt he beat max? max is a better striker no doubt, but cub is not walk on the park, and t city striked with him quite well, brian has an enourmous advantage on the ground, and max bodytype is made for being chocked out.

It could be a very good match up for brian.

why couldnt he beat max? max is a better striker no doubt, but cub is not walk on the park, and t city striked with him quite well, brian has an enourmous advantage on the ground, and max bodytype is made for being chocked out.

I don't think anyone at FW beats Holloway, just personal opinion.

That’s his forte, buddeh. Most fighters have one thing they’re very good at.

Needs to get more evenly rounded on the feet, though. Cub was smokin him on the feet.

He did his specialty better than Cub did his.

Nobody is immune to getting choked out. In a 5 round fight there's more time to make a mistake. We saw again last night that it only takes a couple of seconds to get a choke locked in. Both of those chokes were from the clinch, so that shows that he doesn't need to take it to the ground to submit you. His BJJ makes up for his lack of elite striking. He could beat Max. I'd favor Max in the fight, but he could definitely catch a neck and finish him.

I think Ortega has a shot of subbing Max. Don't think he would catch Frankie or Arldo though in a sub.

A win is a win, he uses what he has to get there. Cub is very dangerous striker, he makes alot of fighters look like they have poor foot work. T City just needs to continue to work his striking, he's proven no one is safe from his submission game.

His size and chin make him more dangerous than you think. Definitely not the favorite against Frankie or Max but he's a threat.

Even if he fails on a guillotine or two, Ortega is super good from his back. He brings a lot of interesting skills to the division. It will be interesting to see how to matches up with the top 3 contenders and champ.

He spams the guillotine from the clinch much like Tony Ferguson does. Ortega can just do more with it

You're wrong.

Ortega has the potential to beat anyone, anytime. He's dangerous as fuck. Don't count him out.

That’s his forte, buddeh. Most fighters have one thing they’re very good at.

Needs to get more evenly rounded on the feet, though. Cub was smokin him on the feet.

He did his specialty better than Cub did his.

This is why I think Ortega needs another high quality fight before he fights for the belt. He should work hard on his next fight to improve his striking and striking defense for the next level against Max.

He had 1 gullotine choke attempt last night and got it. That isn’t spamming. He’s a submission expert.

I guess Cub was “spamming” punches to Brian’s body as well right?

Yeah he locked in both his submission attempts i don't know how that is spamming.
We've lost a ton of submissions in MMA since everyone learns bjj now, let alone from standing up. Give the guy some credit.

I agree that he has a good shot against any one with his amazing BJJ but I think his striking is horrible. The stats were horrible for his striking in this fight. http://www.fightmetric.com/ on the front page. BuBt he But hdoes have an a

Back