Oscar De La Hoya: ‘MMA fighter pay gets me sick to my stomach’

Yes, and one of the biggest problems with modern society is that everything revolves around money. Money isn't true humanism. Being a happy, productive and ethical member of society is what makes a human being. Fighters complaining about pay is just terrible. They're so focused on money that they forget what makes them human. They need to focus on their fighting and their families, be good human beings and help their communities.
Owing ppl money is a horrible thing. U wouldnt understand mr perfect u never had a bad day in ur life

Owing ppl money is a horrible thing. U wouldnt understand mr perfect u never had a bad day in ur life
All you need to survive is 2 meals a day and a room. All this materialism like fancy cars, phones, designer clothing, it's all just a mirage, a facade, an illusion and greed. Do what you love, love your fellow human, be a good person, and get 2 meals a day and a room, and any UFC fighter can do that. Desiring more is just the worst of humanity.

All you need to survive is 2 meals a day and a room. All this materialism like fancy cars, phones, designer clothing, it's all just a mirage, a facade, an illusion and greed. Do what you love, love your fellow human, be a good person, and get 2 meals a day and a room, and any UFC fighter can do that. Desiring more is just the worst of humanity.
I agree brother. I dislike money personally. They wont be cleared unless they are fit to fight. Sleep well lad. Tomorrows another big day

I think we mostly agree except I would replace "MMA" with "UFC" in your first sentence. There are a lot of bum MMA promotions out there and the analysis in the article concluded that Boxing had higher median pay than MMA as a whole.

Also median, as a measure, is not as greatly affected by the high paid outliers. Median is the middle value, not the average value.
ya i meant UFC and not MMA in genreral there as the UFC has the higher median pay.

My favorite line by De La Hoya was where he was talking about fighters risking their lives in the ring and yet he is putting two guys in the ring that should be nowhere near it.

Chuck likely already has brain damage.

Tito just fought and won in the last year?

Do people even care to be informed even in the slightest bit prior to posting?

Tito just fought and won in the last year?

Do people even care to be informed even in the slightest bit prior to posting?

? I watched the Tito fight dumbass... And tito fought a guy that hasn't finished anyone due to strikes since 2007

I was referring primarily to the 48 year old Chuck Liddell.... You know the guy that got KO'd brutally 4 times in his last 6 fights and hasn't fought in 8 years...

Why don't you make an effort to be informed as well?

And as an FYI for the "informed" the oldest active and licensed MMA fighter to compete in North America last was Dan Severn who fought at the age of 52. Interestingly enough, in 120 pro fights he was only finished 4 times (twice less than Liddell) and two of those times just so happened to be in his second and third last fight.

Bet he wishes he had retired prior to getting knocked silly twice in a row.

Oh yeah man nothing gets me happier than people getting carted off on a stretcher. What sort of question is that. The only use for a stretcher will be to carry the fight purses they will make. Brains arent everything

Brains aren't everything? Do you have even the faintest clue what CTE is? Clearly not.

Do some research before multiplying your stupidity...

By your definition, its ok to make a big payday because that will pay for the nurse to change your diaper when you are a drooling idiot at age 50 in a wheelchair... Makes total sense. Hard to spend money when you have brain damage.

Posters on this site get dumber daily

The UFC pays better than pro boxing overall. There really isn't any boxing promotion that guarantees the money that the UFC does.

There have been guys on ESPN Friday night fights making peanuts, literally hundreds of dollars. You don't see that in the UFC.

But in MMA overall, like boxing, there isn't much money to be made.
As far as percentages go, MMA pay is so much smaller than boxing. The UFC can afford to do so, so they do.

Yes I follow boxing (less than I used to) which Is why I know those names, and yes I followed boxing before MMA just like you.

Jermell charlo is a pretty big name dude. I would say he's more famous than TJ dillashaw and he's a world champion...

Now you're just being silly.

Brains aren't everything? Do you have even the faintest clue what CTE is? Clearly not.

Do some research before multiplying your stupidity...

By your definition, its ok to make a big payday because that will pay for the nurse to change your diaper when you are a drooling idiot at age 50 in a wheelchair... Makes total sense. Hard to spend money when you have brain damage.

Posters on this site get dumber daily
Haha . ever hear of a joke before?

Interested to see what pay scale he sets for those on the card. Their marquee scrap is a Legacy fight no doubt so it will get eyes I think. MMA is pretty over saturated already so sustainability is right there as well.

Like him or not, at the end of the day Oscar is 100% correct.

The fighters are the one's putting themselves on the line to seriously get hurt, there definitely needs to be a base pay for all fighters that is enough you can somewhat survive to live until your next fight.

we all get it that big time fighters get big time pay, but when people like dana are being paid lots of money to be a promoter you can't say there's not enough money in the pot to share, the ufc also screwed the fighters with the sh!tty reebok deal.

if you gonna pay your low level fighters peanuts, then they should be able to capitalize on using the sponsors they want to make some extra money, the ufc screwed that for the fighters. Maybe alot of the big names today started out making nothing or very little, and had to rise to the top in order to see decent pay days, the truth is its the fighter putting there life/health at risk, it's them that make the event whether it be boxing or mma exciting or enjoyable for us fans, so all fighters should be paid generously because in the fight game you never know when your time is over.

Haha . ever hear of a joke before?

So now you are going to try and put a spin on your stupidity to make it look like a joke?

Brain damage jokes... timeless.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

So now you are going to try and put a spin on your stupidity to make it look like a joke?

Brain damage jokes... timeless.
Lol. Ur the one who insults me and puts me down. Make ur point without being rude

De La Hoya brings up a good point. If he can implement a competitive pay plan, I think he can make something happen. Honestly guys, more promotions = more competition and more competition = promotors upping their game.

This is a little misleading... we don't know exactly what the contracts say. A lot of times a boxer gets larger guaranteed purse in lieu of PPV points. If they get points, whether it be in boxing or MMA, we usually don't know what the scale is.

It's true, at the top end of divisions you tend to see better guaranteed money in boxing. But if you look at the overall average, there isn't much of a disparity, if at all. And middle of the pack fighters will get more in the UFC than in boxing. Very hard to figure out what an overall average might be, the numbers are too large.

I think the problem is also that we are comparing a sport with an organization of another sport. It’s like saying Wimbledon price money is bigger than basketball. Instead of tennis vs basketball. We’re xomparing all of boxing, even crappy 5k per fight cards, to the biggest MMA organization in the world, so of course an average UFC fighter may get paid better than an average boxer because am average boxer can be the guy who cleans toilets in a school while an average UFC fighter is an MMA fighter who at least made it to the UFC.

Maybe a more fair comparison would be UFC vs Showtime or HBO boxing and then try to see who is screwing their fighters more, because you know it’s happening in both sports for sure, only in boxing there are a few super stars at any given time that get to call the shots but in MMA it seems like Dana doesn’t want anyone getting bigger than him or else he has to start paying star athlete money

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/...pay-it-gets-me-sick-to-my-stomach-boxing-news

“I’m really looking forward to getting into the MMA world and making sure that these fighters are being compensated well,” De La Hoya told Fight Hub TV. “Because look, we risk our lives up in the ring. So fighters should be compensated extremely well.”

“The current structure is terrible,” De La Hoya said. “I’ve been talking to many, many fighters in the MMA, and it’s ridiculous on what they get paid. It’s crazy. It gets me sick to my stomach.”

“I’m gonna start Golden Boy MMA for a reason, and that’s gonna start with Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz to pay them correctly. To pay them what they deserve.”

<{titihmm}>

Waiting to see how this turns out. Easy to say when it isnt him doing the paying so far.
Lets see when he comes into the game.

Hes right. But hard to change the market. Only way to do that at this point is legislation imo

Chuck likely already has brain damage.
There's no "likely", Liddell guaranteed has brain damage.

It's evident he had brain damage even prior to his decline in the UFC when you realize what he used to sound like (and even in this interview, the signs were surfacing):

Back