Ouchi gari and osoto gari

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anybody got pointers? I'm thinking along the lines of little details that might not immediately come to mind when learning them. Or modifications you like that make them work better for you.

What's your rank in Judo?

Ouchi - 1. Don't let your head fall to the side of the leg you're attacking to prevent uke from countering you 2. If possible keep your foot/toes planted to the mat as you're doing the reap for maximum sweeping motion 3. Drop your belt line below uke's 4. Strong penetrating kuzushi

Osoto - Afraid I'm not much help with osoto but from what I've been told it's best to shift uke's weight and balance towards the leg you're reaping and contrary to popular opinion the throw isn't done completely straight backwards but off to the side slightly.

Hope I was able to help some. Happy training!

When you do the osoto right, it kills people, then you get banned on Sherdog and end up on Reddit

giphy.gif

That is still good for a chuckle. In case TS is still a beginner, make sure you do the opposite of what that guy says. Leaning back during osoto just means the opponent will osoto you.

Here's a good basic video on osoto:

That is still good for a chuckle. In case TS is still a beginner, make sure you do the opposite of what that guy says. Leaning back during osoto just means the opponent will osoto you.

I'm glad you posted before me. I watched that and couldn't tell if the post was serious or not. That advice is just terrible...

I guess I better add something towards the thread topic...

A bit on the shorter side. I'm 5'8 so they're not really short, but still kinda.
In my opinion then, you'll want to try a low, driving o soto, as opposed to hooking the leg and hopping in.

Also, a low o uchi, instead of lifting the inside of uke's leg.

In my opinion then, you'll want to try a low, driving o soto, as opposed to hooking the leg and hopping in.

Also, a low o uchi, instead of lifting the inside of uke's leg.
Can you elaborate a little?

Can you elaborate a little?
I think for o soto, a lot like what Matt shows in this video:

And o uchi, a bit like:
I like to go even lower, coming in around the height of a wrestling shot - but I'm not the Olympian!

I hope they make sense. These are just my thoughts, as someone with shorter legs. Although, I guess I'm King of Manlets!

We have series covering both techniques...

Osoto-gari - Basic Principles

Osoto-gari - Set ups

Osoto-gari - Competitive variations

Ouchi-gari - Basic Principles

Ouchi-gari - Set ups

Ouchi-gari - Competitive variations
https://youtu.be/21S9bwRxP8E

Here's a good basic video on osoto:

Thank you...

To TS

Osoto you are pulling the guy onto their closer leg from the outside, hopefully getting their hips out away from under their shoulders to be basic.

Ouchi you are depriving them of their next step by trapping their retreating leg from the inside so their weight goes onto their imaginary leg that isn't their anymore.

Maybe you're seeing the leg contact as similar, but it's not. Osoto outside Ouchi inside.

And both have different movement, timing and balance mechanics.

A cool concept I took away from my favorite coach for Kazushi and unbalancing for Osoto and almost every throw was he'd always stop me and say "Are Uke's shoulders still over their hips?" In the middle of a throw. Once you get use to sensing that in drills and Randori it makes throwing much more technique than man handling with strength.

Study those clips peeps r posting a million times and find an after class training buddy to slow them down with.

Back