Outsider looking inside with U.S. politics.

JohnOates

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in the fight here, never been to the USA and don't think I'll ever get the chance to.

However, a month ago I thought I'd see what all this fuss is about with Trump and the divide I see from the American people. I read about CNN and Fox and how they say they are not biased. Watched them for 5 minutes and who are they trying to kid???

Twitter is just left and right trying to shout over each other. From the outside it looks like a cluster fuck.

So here is my question for those of you living in the USA... What is it like there? What is the percentage of people you know that are:

1. Adament left and take any opportunity to shit on the right.
2. Adament right and take any opportunity to shit on the left.
3. Rational and see both sides and try to keep a level head.
4. Sick and tired of the politics and avoid the hassle.

I know this varies from place to place,but I'm really interested in what you have to say because on Twitter it seems that everyone is at each other's throats.

Cheers

I don't have a dog in the fight here, never been to the USA and don't think I'll ever get the chance to.

However, a month ago I thought I'd see what all this fuss is about with Trump and the divide I see from the American people. I read about CNN and Fox and how they say they are not biased. Watched them for 5 minutes and who are they trying to kid???

Twitter is just left and right trying to shout over each other. From the outside it looks like a cluster fuck.

So here is my question for those of you living in the USA... What is it like there? What is the percentage of people you know that are:

4. Sock and tired of the politics and avoid the hassle.

I know this varies from place to place,but I'm really interested in what you have to say because on Twitter it seems that everyone is at each other's throats.

Cheers

What you see only takes place on the Internet and cable news. In real life, you don’t hear or see a lot of politics or racial division.

4. Sock and tired of the politics and avoid the hassle.

Cheers

No one talks about politics socially. It is a private 1 on 1 conversation between close family or friends, for 90% of people with political opinions. I am a outlier in my insistence on talking about politics in social situations. Many consider it a social fuex pas.

30% of the population doesn't even have a political opinion.

It seems like it is left vs right, but half the population doesn't vote, and 40% of the voting population identifies as independent.

Congress is full of Democrats and Republicans and has a 8% approval rating.

Go to Charleston, SC and Austin, TX. Arlington, VA is good too but you'll find a lot of people work in government and feel some dumb need to talk about their political views. It doesn't come up in most places.

90% of people in real life don't fit into 1 or 2.
I'd say most people have opinions, but they are die hard about them like you see online and usually don't want to talk about them, but will tell you how they feel if it's brought up.

I only know 1 person who enjoys talking about politics . We work together and we have actually started making a rule where he can't talk about it at lunch because it's just so annoying and ALWAYS turns into talking about guns. He's super wacko and doesn't even think cops should carry guns.

Go to Charleston, SC and Austin, TX. Arlington, VA is good too but you'll find a lot of people work in government and feel some dumb need to talk about their political views. It doesn't come up in most places.
Let me try and guess. Are most people there pro Trump and talk about fake news in the media?

From the outside I think those places are in the South and they seem to like the president now.

No one actually cares. Were all too busy and in a hurry to get nowhere, while the government does whatever it wants.

Let me try and guess. Are most people there pro Trump and talk about fake news in the media?

From the outside I think those places are in the South and they seem to like the president now.
You're not going to find a place where people sit around talking about politics. Austin and Charleston are just fun towns and I legitimately have no idea whether the people vote left or right.

No one actually cares. Were all too busy and in a hurry to get nowhere, while the government does whatever it wants.

You know what cracks me up. I will start talking about white helmets, or Sibel Edmonds, or the Pentagon papers, and wrap the point up by saying we are corrupt, it is getting worse, and eventually their will be a price to pay.

Time and Time again, I get this look. I don't know how to describe it. It reads to me like they know it is true, but are struggling to accept it.

You know what cracks me up. I will start talking about white helmets, or Sibel Edmonds, or the Pentagon papers, and wrap the point up by saying we are corrupt, it is getting worse, and eventually their will be a price to pay.

Time and Time again, I get this look. I don't know how to describe it. It reads to me like they know it is true, but are struggling to accept it.
The problem is we can't really do anything about it, so we insult each other online and some crazies take it too far into real life.

You're not going to find a place where people sit around talking about politics. Austin and Charleston are just fun towns and I legitimately have no idea whether the people vote left or right.

I bet downtown DC is different, but I would hope the discourse was a bit better than cuck, and trumptard.

Yep. Either get looked at like a crazy person or ignored altogether. We all just want to hear what we want to hear.

What you see only takes place on the Internet and cable news. In real life, you don’t hear or see a lot of politics or racial division.

Bob has it right. I see division on the internet, and I honestly can't figure out where these people are in real life. I have a general idea that the internet has an overly high representation of angry nerds though. What do they call them now? Incels?

In my daily life I see no division. I live in a "Blue" state, but with a Republican governor with almost the highest approval ratings in the country. Most people I know are liberal when it comes to treating people fairly, but moderate when it comes to fiscal and foreign affairs. But there is a huge spectrum, and it causes no real issues between people. Nobody cares, most people are just nice to each other. I don't see racial division, again, nobody seems to care unless they are kinda trashy. But in those cases, it's not other races they are actually mad it, it's their own lives.

By the way, I've never heard the term SJW in my entire life in person. I've never heard somebody called a Nazi either. Those are just things that people say on the internet when they run out of actual arguments.

4. Sick and tired of the politics and avoid the hassle
In America, anyone who will insist that they are part of group 3, is almost certainly an extremely partisan person trying to trick everyone into thinking that they're "above it all".

Some of the most partisan posters on this forum will practically waste gigs worth of data trying to explain how non-partisan they are.

In my personal opinion, what started America on this hyper-partisan downward spiral was the Monica Lewinsky scandal. A sitting President of the United States committed perjury, a felony, on film. The Democratic political class gave him political cover. At that point, Republican voters seemingly made this determination en mass: "The other side is willing to play dirty, compromise with them will only result in half of a loss for us, and half of a victory for them".

As one of my favorite authors once wrote:
"In a compromise between food and poison, death is the only party that profits".

I bet downtown DC is different, but I would hope the discourse was a bit better than cuck, and trumptard.
Last time I was in DC was like 5 years ago. Hung out with my Bolivian friend and a bunch of retardedly hot chicks. There was some black march a few blocks away so one of those guys came over and I ripped on him for wearing sunglasses at night. Went to Spider Kelly's the next day for brunch.

Bob has it right. I see division on the internet, and I honestly can't figure out where these people are in real life. I have a general idea that the internet has an overly high representation of angry nerds though. What do they call them now? Incels?

In my daily life I see no division. I live in a "Blue" state, but with a Republican governor with almost the highest approval ratings in the country. Most people I know are liberal when it comes to treating people fairly, but moderate when it comes to fiscal and foreign affairs. But there is a huge spectrum, and it causes no real issues between people. Nobody cares, most people are just nice to each other. I don't see racial division, again, nobody seems to care unless they are kinda trashy. But in those cases, it's not other races they are actually mad it, it's their own lives.

By the way, I've never heard the term SJW in my entire life in person. I've never heard somebody called a Nazi either. Those are just things that people say on the internet when they run out of actual arguments.
I'm beginning to realize this too with social media and the internet. A lot of posts we read are from people on both ends of various spectrums and are grossly over represented online. While I guess the vast majority of people are more reasoned /don't care and don't feel the need to post.

I'm beginning to realize this too with social media and the internet. A lot of posts we read are from people on both ends of various spectrums and are grossly over represented online. While I guess the vast majority of people are more reasoned /don't care and don't feel the need to post.
I sure hope so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back