Over training

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
So I've always been training. But recent started a modified 5X5(5 sets of 5 reps) with Dumbell presses, Leg presses, and Machine Rows. After the 5X5 I do 3X10 Preacher curls for Biceps and 3X10 tricep pulldowns for Tris. It's a bit of a hybrid program for strength and hypertrophy. I also run a mile after all that.

I originally was doing this 3X per week. Monday Wednesday and Friday. But have been having possible over training symptoms such as Insomnia, Increased Resting heart rate, some aches and pains. Going to cut the run out and replace Wednesday with Body weight excercise , basically making my schedule 2X per week full body with one active recovery. Thoughts?

So you go to the gym 3 days a week, do DB press, leg press, and machine row for 5x5, curls and pulldowns for 3x10, and run a mile.

Assuming you are relatively healthy to begin with, I'd find it pretty unlikely to have overtrained yourself to insomnia and elevated RHR from the above.

Only 3 times a week and youre worried about overtraining? 4 days of rest should give you plenty of time to recover.

Edit: what guy above said but ya a healthy person should be fine. Maybe you’ve had anxiety lately?

So you go to the gym 3 days a week, do DB press, leg press, and machine row for 5x5, curls and pulldowns for 3x10, and run a mile.

Assuming you are relatively healthy to begin with, I'd find it pretty unlikely to have overtrained yourself to insomnia and elevated RHR from the above.
Only 3 times a week and youre worried about overtraining? 4 days of rest should give you plenty of time to recover.

Edit: what guy above said but ya a healthy person should be fine. Maybe you’ve had anxiety lately?
I know it doesent sound like alot. But you have to take into account the fact that Dumbell presses, leg presses, and rows are technically compound movements that use alot of muscle groups. This 75 reps total between those three excercises in the same day with heavy weight. Then I'm doing 3X10 isolation excercises for bis and Tris each Wich is another 60 reps. Then right after I'm running a mile Wich is cardio vascular.

I know it doesent sound like alot. But you have to take into account the fact that Dumbell presses, leg presses, and rows are technically compound movements that use alot of muscle groups. This 75 reps total between those three excercises in the same day with heavy weight. Then I'm doing 3X10 isolation excercises for bis and Tris each Wich is another 60 reps. Then right after I'm running a mile Wich is cardio vascular.
Edit also forgot to add I also do 3 sets of Core work as well. I'm gonna lower the volume and see if I feel better.

That is 135 total reps. The last training session in my log has 578 reps (not counting warm-up sets, which I don't log), plus "cardio vascular" exercise. And that was done while being mildly ill (having trouble eating and sleeping due to sore throat).

Go see a doctor, you may have an undiagnosed health issue. Based on your symptoms, something like hyperthyroidism sounds plausible.

So I've always been training. But recent started a modified 5X5(5 sets of 5 reps) with Dumbell presses, Leg presses, and Machine Rows. After the 5X5 I do 3X10 Preacher curls for Biceps and 3X10 tricep pulldowns for Tris. It's a bit of a hybrid program for strength and hypertrophy. I also run a mile after all that.

I originally was doing this 3X per week. Monday Wednesday and Friday. But have been having possible over training symptoms such as Insomnia, Increased Resting heart rate, some aches and pains. Going to cut the run out and replace Wednesday with Body weight excercise , basically making my schedule 2X per week full body with one active recovery. Thoughts?
I would first focus on making sure you get quality sleep. Bananas and beets are good for recovery. Trace minerals help reduce soreness. Also make sure you stretch post workout while your muscles are still warm. Hope this helps.

Shit man. You gotta slow down. Your CNS will RAMP up too quickly you might not get your RPE's to where you want your WILKS.

If you're pushing yourself all the way to failure on every single set, you'll be able to get a lot more out of yourself by using a sensible amount of weight

It depends entirely on your life stressors, and how well adjustet your body is to the workout. Recovering is as much about your mental state as anything else. Any change in personal relationships or responsibilites? What's your weakly work like and are you doing a sport as well?

It doesn't seem like a lot of volume so the training might not be at the core of it, but if you want to tone it down and see what happens go for it. Also, lack of sleep and increased stress begets more of the same, so if you can nip it in the bud that way it's a good thing.

Maybe as miaou said go get checked at the doc if it persists, although I don't think you need to be alarmist about it. Any hand tremors or sudden burst of sweating?

Otherwise it's just the general advice. Do a cooldown/stretching/relaxing part at the end of your workout, eliminate unnecessary stressors. eat good foods, sleep, relax, do something you enjoy.

i have phases were my sleep is so piss poor that i feel like shit with 2 sessions a week of 3 sets amrap of simple calisthenics.
so, like sano said. age, stress, sleep and diet.

that's pretty standard training dude, most people do more than what you do. Overtraining is when you're hitting the gym 2x a day 6-7 days a week hard every time

I guess it depends on your age too but even at 40 i doubt a 3x per week 5x5 with a few hypertrophy and 1.5km run is going to overtrain any healthy 40 year old.

come on guys hes a conor fan.. they arnt known for there cardio n either is he...

No way you are overtraining if you supplement right and eat well.

come on guys hes a conor fan.. they arnt known for there cardio n either is he...
I'm not gonna lie.... I love Conor and l also box, and have horrible cardio for some reason lmao

i have phases were my sleep is so piss poor that i feel like shit with 2 sessions a week of 3 sets amrap of simple calisthenics.
so, like sano said. age, stress, sleep and diet.

trazadone has made my life so much better .. my energy levels are a lot better and stabilized through the day, and of course great sleep increases less stress and mood swings .. very taxing which can drain you all together

i don't recommend as first choice but if your diet is good and your not experiencing stress\anxiety then in might be an option .. sometimes all you need is a kick back into the right direction ..

i can only sleep for couple hours at a time with constant toss n turns and breaks in my sleep ... i now take 100mg as needed through the week and i have never felt better.. now i get about 4-5 max but its absolute sleep. which is awesome !! three four times a week has changed my life for real !!

trazadone has made my life so much better .. my energy levels are a lot better and stabilized through the day, and of course great sleep increases less stress and mood swings .. very taxing which can drain you all together

i don't recommend as first choice but if your diet is good and your not experiencing stress\anxiety then in might be an option .. sometimes all you need is a kick back into the right direction ..

i can only sleep for couple hours at a time with constant toss n turns and breaks in my sleep ... i now take 100mg as needed through the week and i have never felt better.. now i get about 4-5 max but its absolute sleep. which is awesome !! three four times a week has changed my life for real !!

thanks, man

That doesn't seem like all that much to be honest. Before I switched to strongman training recently I was working out 5 days a week hypertrophy bodybuilding style and ran 1.5 miles a day every day. Some weeks I would add a 6th day.

Should switch from leg press to squats

Back