Over under pass vs spider guard

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The most difficult counter to the over under I deal with is guys putting their foot in the crook of my 'under arm' then stretching me out. It makes it impossible to keep my head on their hip. Not sure if that qualifies as a spider guard, but it feels similar. It actually usually happens after I get my head on their hip, then they do it quickly before I can settle into position. Any ideas on how to counter this?

Back off and look to re-enter. After a while they'll break. Passing is all about keeping it up. If you're looking to pass you need to expect it to come in the 6th-7th min. Gotta grind guys out

Back off and look to re-enter. After a while they'll break. Passing is all about keeping it up. If you're looking to pass you need to expect it to come in the 6th-7th min. Gotta grind guys out

Parsimonious answer is pretty much this.

Anyone who knows what is up can be a successful guard retainer for one minute. That's why if you know what you are doing too you look to make him work harder than you have to work and wear him out.

TL;DR give him the presh.

Last edited:
The most difficult counter to the over under I deal with is guys putting their foot in the crook of my 'under arm' then stretching me out. It makes it impossible to keep my head on their hip. Not sure if that qualifies as a spider guard, but it feels similar. It actually usually happens after I get my head on their hip, then they do it quickly before I can settle into position. Any ideas on how to counter this?

What works for me in gi is to trap their foot in the crook of your arm, where the bicep and forearm meet, and grab their belt with your hand. You're basically pinning their heel to their butt. It stops people from pushing you away and it stops people from hipping out.

Parsimonious answer is pretty much this.

Anyone who knows what is up can be a successful guard retainer for one minute. That's why if you know what you are doing too you look to make him work harder than you have to work and wear him out.

TL;DR give him the presh.

If you really want to tire someone out you need to force him to use desperate strength based defense rather then technical ones.

Back