Overclocking

Woldog

SherGOAT
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
@Madmick @jefferz

When it comes to overclocking you have guys who seem to want to squeeze every ghz out of their processor they can, crazy shit like running a 7700k at 1.4v for 5.1ghz clock.

In gaming terms is there much of a difference between 4.6ghz and 5ghz? I can't see how it would translate to much difference in terms of gaming, perhaps Photoshop and 3d rendering would benefit from it.

Mine is currently at 4.6ghz and 1.306v with Asus TPU 1 handling it for me (TPU 2 messes with the BLCK and I didn't think that was necessary for me) With my Noctua D15 I've been able to lower my temps by close to 20c and was think of doing a manual clock to see if I could lower my volts and keep the clock around the same. Do you guys think that would be viable or is taking it down to 1.28 not going to make much of a difference in the temperatures?

here's a great video on overclocking you should watch

I anticipate words strung together in combinations I will never decipher the meaning of and it pains me deeply

I anticipate words strung together in combinations I will never decipher the meaning of and it pains me deeply
Here's a great website to help you understand the basic lingo
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pc-builder-bluffers-guide
If you ever have questions about what we talk about, feel free to ask. We’re more than happy to help. We’re like car guys, we love to talk about our hobby

Last edited:

Upload the flux capacitor to 2.5 gigawatts, connect your blck to the ethernet and download wikipedia before you update the electric boogaloo connected to the computer machine. Simple overclock for 4.7ghz.

My I7 7700K already does 4,8 on Turbo.
I wonder how far it could go with overclocking.

I've only ever hit mild overclocks because I stick with air coolers. Personally, the difference has mostly been noticeable in benchmarks but not really in gaming. I usually just set it back to stock after satisfying my curiosity.

I do leave my video card with its mild factory overclock through the tuning software that comes with it though, because why not?

I've only ever hit mild overclocks because I stick with air coolers. Personally, the difference has mostly been noticeable in benchmarks but not really in gaming. I usually just set it back to stock after satisfying my curiosity.
I’ve had my 7700k I’m a full custom loop and on a tier 1 air cooler. Water I hit 4.9 and air I hit 4.8.
Only difference is temps and noise. Water never got over 65 degrees max, air I hit 72.
Water was a lot more quiet.
giphy.gif

I’ve had my 7700k I’m a full custom loop and on a tier 1 air cooler. Water I hit 4.9 and air I hit 4.8.
Only difference is temps and noise. Water never got over 65 degrees max, air I hit 72.
Water was a lot more quiet.
giphy.gif
That's interesting. I've only got a real cursory understanding of OCing, and I plan on watching that video you posted earlier at some point when I've got a bit more time. I just figured from the way some people talk about it that water was way more effective at letting you push up your voltage.

I've currently got a 6600k but my cooler isn't really designed for heavy overclocking (I don't remember the model but it's one of the smaller mid-sized Noctua's). I can't remember for sure, but I maybe got my cpu to 4.2. I might not even bother with a k next go around; I'm a little too lazy and timid to really go all in on an overclock.

That's interesting. I've only got a real cursory understanding of OCing, and I plan on watching that video you posted earlier at some point when I've got a bit more time. I just figured from the way some people talk about it that water was way more effective at letting you push up your voltage.

I've currently got a 6600k but my cooler isn't really designed for heavy overclocking (I don't remember the model but it's one of the smaller mid-sized Noctua's). I can't remember for sure, but I maybe got my cpu to 4.2. I might not even bother with a k next go around; I'm a little too lazy and timid to really go all in on an overclock.

Voltage and cpu speed go hand in hand. To get your CPU to run at higher speed it requires more power *tim taylor grunt*
There's 2 different types of water cooling, AIO (all in one) and custom loops. An AIO cooler like this will perform about equal to the big air coolers. Full custom loops where you see the tubing ran everywhere, the graphics card being water cooled, etc will get a little extra performance boost but it's not really that much. Noise reduction, cooler temps, and the bling bling factor is why people go custom loops.

On turbo? I've got a 7700k and on turbo mine does 4.6. You sure that's right?

On turbo? I've got a 7700k and on turbo mine does 4.6. You sure that's right?

Just tested again : 4862 mhz
That's good right ?
It's cool to have a fast CPU, but does it realy matter ?
I mean at what task would you need 4.8 ghz.
With gaming ?

I can however appreciate the sport of tuning a mechanical object to perform better.

Last edited:
Just tested again : 4862 mhz
That's good right ?
It's cool to have a fast CPU, but does it realy matter ?
I mean at what task would you need 4.8 ghz.
With gaming ?

I can however appreciate the sport of tuning a mechanical object to perform better.

What are your temps like under load? And what voltage is it at. Mine is at 4.6ghz at 1.306v I mean in real terms between 4.6 and 4.8 there would be no real difference except in benchmarks. Plus we all know the higher the clock speed the longer your E-Peen is

What are your temps like under load? And what voltage is it at. Mine is at 4.6ghz at 1.306v I mean in real terms between 4.6 and 4.8 there would be no real difference except in benchmarks. Plus we all know the higher the clock speed the longer your E-Peen is

Temp is 38 Celsius.I don't know what under load means.
Voltage is not displayed.
Just to be clear, I just activate a program and press turbo.
I did not overclock, that program came with the PC.

Temp is 38 Celsius.I don't know what under load means.
Voltage is not displayed.
Just to be clear, I just activate a program and press turbo.
I did not overclock, that program came with the PC.

Underload is when you run something like the Intel Processor diagnostic tool. It'll push all your cores to 100% and show you what temp you'll make it to.

I remember when overclock was a thing and the Athlon XP Mobiles were the shit. Pentium 4 @ 7.1 Ghz on ice. Good times.

@Madmick @jefferz

When it comes to overclocking you have guys who seem to want to squeeze every ghz out of their processor they can, crazy shit like running a 7700k at 1.4v for 5.1ghz clock.

In gaming terms is there much of a difference between 4.6ghz and 5ghz? I can't see how it would translate to much difference in terms of gaming, perhaps Photoshop and 3d rendering would benefit from it.

Mine is currently at 4.6ghz and 1.306v with Asus TPU 1 handling it for me (TPU 2 messes with the BLCK and I didn't think that was necessary for me) With my Noctua D15 I've been able to lower my temps by close to 20c and was think of doing a manual clock to see if I could lower my volts and keep the clock around the same. Do you guys think that would be viable or is taking it down to 1.28 not going to make much of a difference in the temperatures?
Wow, great comments in this thread. I already have nothing to add, so I'll just flesh out what has already been mentioned.

I'm with Cygnus, but it's key to understanding what this Gamer Benchmark article relates.
unless the CPU is the bottlneck, which it almost never is now, then gains are virtually non-existent (1-3 FPS is typical). Here you go:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2744-intel-i7-7700k-review-and-benchmark/page-6

OCing is just for the e-peen now. However things like CAD get a huge boost from overclocking. Ive got data showing a near linear relationship from model regen time to clock speed. r
The big explanation behind this was already touched on by Joe although his figures aren't accurate (the 7700K is 4.2GHz at stock, and 4.5GHz is its max turbo frequency though it can only hit 4.4GHz simultaneously across all four cores).
Look at the Turbo Boost frequencies for the top gamer i7s going back to Core series launch. More specifically, I'm only going to cite the achievable frequency if all cores are activated, then I'll juxtapose that to the top absolute turbo for that chip, even if only for a single core, in parentheses () next to that:

Intel i7 Turbo Frequencies

All Cores Turbo (Max Possible Turbo on a Single Core)
  • 920 = 2.77 GHz (2.87 GHz)
  • 860 = 2.8 GHz (3.3 GHz)
  • 970 = 3.3 GHz (3.4 GHz)
  • 2700K = 3.6 GHz (3.9 GHz)
  • 3770K = 3.7 GHz (3.9 GHz)
  • 4770K = 3.7 GHz (3.9 GHz)
  • 4790K = 4.2 GHz (4.4 GHz)
  • 6700K = 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz)
  • 7700K = 4.4 GHz (4.5 GHz)
  • 7740X = 4.5 GHz (4.5 GHz)
  • 8700K = 4.3 GHz (4.7 GHz)
    Highlight= Hexacore

Consider also something that @KaNesDeath once wrote:
Last time i OC'd was in 2005. Pc Tower i bought back then(which im still using today) has room for 4x80mm and 2x120MM fans where i fitted an additional 3x80mm fans. 80mm fans i used worked at 70cfm at 50dba. Pc sounded like a prop airplane taking off when i started it...lol

When i transferred from Pc desktop gaming to Pc living room gaming i removed the my high dba/cfm fans; now i can ping pong between the two. Water cooling has become a far more stable platform. As a former tech support person, i dont wish to create an additional potential point of failure by OC'ing and or water cooling.
He's looking for bulletproof reliability and honored warranties. Don't underestimate the AK-47 strategy. Mud can't stop it.

I think your Noctua NH-D15 offers better cooling-to-noise performance than any active cooling design on the market (i.e. non-fanless), but the main advantage will be in keeping those temps that were flaring down to an acceptable level so that you aren't warping and aging it and other components it is touching. It can do this even under the hot Australian sun while staying whisper quiet despite that you can maintain all-core overclocks that put your north of the the figures seen above.

Last edited:
I do take issue with the general drift of the Gamer Nexus chart. North of the Turbo figures seen above, wherein the strategy of "dynamic overclocking" has made up most of the effective ground against overclockers, every MHz north of those frequencies is an overclock locked to all cores, and will produce concrete performance advantages. I have serious difficulty believing that a 5.1GHz OC 7700K will yield an 0.2% performance advantage across a robust gaming benchmark roundup.

So don't take that one roundup as gospel.

Back