Overclocking

I think the returns for overclocking these days are not really worth the added stress on the hardware, with very few exceptions (4k, mainly)

Its not like it was over a decade ago when you could push an Opteron 170 to 3ghz on air and actually see tangible gains on demanding games.The anchor of console porting has made it where processors are way ahead of the game, and an enthusiast level card is relatively future proof for a few years.

My "old" computer (I5 2500k, 16gb ram, gtx970) holds its own compared to my new system (I5 7600k, 16gb ram, gtx1080, 960 evo m.2).

In gaming terms is there much of a difference between 4.6ghz and 5ghz? I can't see how it would translate to much difference in terms of gaming

I mean just look at the numbers you provided. 0.4ghz is an almost 10% increase in CPU power.

Overclocking for gaming, and getting 5-10% jumps of power, are amazing for gaming, and crucial for high end rigs that want to compete on benchmarks.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/

Take some and go look at the differences between the 970 cards, or the 1080 cards, etc. All my GPU's are in the 99th percentile for overclocks, and on average operate at 15-25% faster than the default clocks. For perspective? My GTX 970 is faster than every base GTX 980 ever made.

I think the returns for overclocking these days are not really worth the added stress on the hardware, with very few exceptions (4k, mainly)

No. Just... No. :D

I've only ever hit mild overclocks because I stick with air coolers. Personally, the difference has mostly been noticeable in benchmarks but not really in gaming. I usually just set it back to stock after satisfying my curiosity.

Comments like this always blow my mind.

If you haven't found your ceiling? That's your fault. Not the performances fault!

Yes, 100%, absolutely. OC'ing has a huge effect on gaming if you know what you are doing, and more importantly, if you know where to capitalize on your overclock. It just sounds like you really had no idea what to do with the speeds after you had access to them.

For perspective.... And everyone should really let this sink in.

Overclocking will *always* have a big influence if you know how to raise, or work within the ceiling of your CPU / GPU. Getting something like The Witcher 3 to run at 25fps with maxed settings, insane dynamic resolution scaling, etc. And then tuning your PC to generate the additional 4-5 frames required to hit that 30hz standard? That's a very, very, very, very, very, very, very big deal. Go look at any console development cycle, and the optimization processes that are required. It breaks peoples hearts, they have to destroy work they've done to meet the ceiling, because they can't adjust the 5-10% variables that would allow them to make the game playable, with the existing assets.

No. Just... No. :D

What a compelling argument. Aside from epeen measuring of 3Dmark/UB scores or circle-jerks on anandtech, the gains from overclocking in MOST curcumstances are minimal (few fps) at best... to say otherwise is just nonsense.

Pushing outdated hardware to its limits by squeezing a little bit more juice out of it to make a game go from slide show to playable is not even remotely common... AND it requires an investiment of time (ensuring its stable, no artifacts, etc.), and DOES stress components too.

If you haven't found your ceiling? That's your fault. Not the performances fault!

Yes, 100%, absolutely. OC'ing has a huge effect on gaming if you know what you are doing, and more importantly, if you know where to capitalize on your overclock. It just sounds like you really had no idea what to do with the speeds after you had access to them.

Overclocking will *always* have a big influence if you know how to raise, or work within the ceiling of your CPU / GPU. Getting something like The Witcher 3 to run at 25fps with maxed settings, insane dynamic resolution scaling, etc. And then tuning your PC to generate the additional 4-5 frames required to hit that 30hz standard? That's a very, very, very, very, very, very, very big deal. Go look at any console development cycle, and the optimization processes that are required. It breaks peoples hearts, they have to destroy work they've done to meet the ceiling, because they can't adjust the 5-10% variables that would allow them to make the game playable, with the existing assets.
I don't get why you're ranting. I never suggested my returns from overclocking weren't "my fault." Whatever you think that means.

As to the rest, it's very easy to find other people who only see marginal gaming gains when overclocking.

The last time I bothered I was using a 1080p monitor. 2 extra frames like in the video above literally doesn't matter to me and isn't worth the hassle. If you feel otherwise that's terrific for you.

What a compelling argument.

That's why I made multiple posts on the topic, and even linked pages that reference what I'm saying.

But sure, whatever you say man! <45>

Aside from epeen measuring of 3Dmark/UB scores or circle-jerks on anandtech, the gains from overclocking in MOST curcumstances are minimal (few fps) at best... to say otherwise is just nonsense.

Nah, you're full of shit.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Et cetera, et cetera.

and DOES stress components too.

Nah, you're still full of shit.

You can have hyper overclocked components that run at lower temps than non-OC'd factory coolers, and founders editions, etc.

I don't get why you're ranting. I never suggested my returns from overclocking weren't "my fault." Whatever you think that means.

You can learn something from what I wrote you, or you can just get angry that I'm attempting to educate you. It's entirely up to you.

4-5 additional frames is easy to get with an overclock, and that's not minimal considering most games in existence have run at 30hz. 4-5 frames out of 30 frames in a second is a huge, huge deal.

But that said? It's not even true, a proper overclock can get 10-15fps increases, upwards to 20+.

EDIT:

Doesn't it make you wonder why people argue about stuff they've never studied? It's like they read something once, and it doesn't matter if it's true or not, they'll come defend the lie because it somehow fused with their ego, and pride.

If you don't know anything about OC'ing, and have never actually utilized the mechanic...

Why comment on it? Honestly. What's the point? Spread misinformation?

Last edited:
Just tested again : 4862 mhz
That's good right ?
It's cool to have a fast CPU, but does it realy matter ?
I mean at what task would you need 4.8 ghz.
With gaming ?

I can however appreciate the sport of tuning a mechanical object to perform better.
It matters when the CPU is the bottleneck. More modern games are being developed with better balance these days so your gfx card is made more of use. I remember games a year or 2 ago that were very cpu reliant and it didn't matter what gfx card you had, you just needed more out of your cpu and so overclocking your cpu was more beneficial.

7700k on xmp/turbo @ 4.5-4.8 with a geforce 1070 can play any game today on high settings just fine.

You can learn something from what I wrote you, or you can just get angry that I'm attempting to educate you. It's entirely up to you.

4-5 additional frames is easy to get with an overclock, and that's not minimal considering most games in existence have run at 30hz. 4-5 frames out of 30 frames in a second is a huge, huge deal.

But that said? It's not even true, a proper overclock can get 10-15fps increases, upwards to 20+.

EDIT:

Doesn't it make you wonder why people argue about stuff they've never studied? It's like they read something once, and it doesn't matter if it's true or not, they'll come defend the lie because it somehow fused with their ego, and pride.

If you don't know anything about OC'ing, and have never actually utilized the mechanic...

Why comment on it? Honestly. What's the point? Spread misinformation?
Prove to me that I can get 10-15 fps by simply overclocking my processor, or keep quiet.

Your post is full of evidence involving video cards; and if you weren't so ready to fly off the handle, you'd realize that the OP, and consequently my post, were focused on processors.

Prove to me that I can get 10-15 fps by simply overclocking my processor, or keep quiet.

Your post is full of evidence involving video cards; and if you weren't so ready to fly off the handle, you'd realize that the OP, and consequently my post, were focused on processors.

You'd need the combination of CPU / GPU both OC'd hit those numbers, but they are achievable via; overclocking.

Honestly if my computer played the Witcher 3 at 25fps I'd just buy a new one, I have everything maxed out and it runs at close to 80fps

Honestly if my computer played the Witcher 3 at 25fps I'd just buy a new one, I have everything maxed out and it runs at close to 80fps

I could make your current system play Witcher 3 at 25fps! When you've maxed out the game, the next step is moving to resolution / scaling.

I could make your current system play Witcher 3 at 25fps! When you've maxed out the game, the next step is moving to resolution / scaling.

giphy.gif

Back