Overuse of probation.

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The judicial systems seem too inclined to put people on probation these days. Those on the left want to rehabilitate everyone and those on the right don't want to spend money on jails and prisons. The prosecutors re too lazy to take cases to trial so they plea bargain. Judges just go along with the deals.

I can see it being used on first time offenders although it is usually the first time they are caught, not the first time they commit a crime.

I've looked at state court records and many of the people on probation have very lengthy records included repeated violations of probation. They violate probation and are just given more probation. They are put on house arrest and violate that and get a longer house arrest.

A local man was just sentenced to 10 years probation for 3 separate cases of armed robbery. There are 3 recent murders that were committed by people on probation.

In my opinion, probation should only be given to first time offenders and the slightest violation should result in incarceration.

No wonder liberals want to let people on probation vote. MILLIONS more votes.

what's the solution?

build EVEN MORE prisons?

be nice if people just stopped being shitbags, but I digress

so now we should expand the death penalty?

we aren't in Hammurabi's time ffs

Sure. It deals with a lot of issues. Taxation for dealing with multiple repeat offenders, removes the ‘unrehabilitable’, overpopulation, unemployment, respurce scarcity, welfare usage due to unemployment, etc. Would also put the fear of God in some people so they stop doing stupid shit because there is a realistic chance they end up dead and not three meals and a warm bed.

There is enough people in prison. You make more violent offenders by throwing people in prison with hardened criminals.

Umm.. no.

If anything we need less people getting arrested. The reason why so many bad people slip through the cracks is because we have to make so much room for people going to jail for ridiculous petty things.

But I would agree we are WAY too lenient on rapists, diddlers, gang crime and murders. Those things we need to come down on with crushing force, but it makes it more complicated and difficult when we have to divert resources to petty shit.

This is the land of free, we shouldn't be finding new ways to deny people their freedom.

Sure. It deals with a lot of issues. Taxation for dealing with multiple repeat offenders, removes the ‘unrehabilitable’, overpopulation, unemployment, respurce scarcity, welfare usage due to unemployment, etc. Would also put the fear of God in some people so they stop doing stupid shit because there is a realistic chance they end up dead and not three meals and a warm bed.

Maybe you should move to Saudi Arabia - sounds like just the place for you.

You can't vote with a felony conviction while on parole or probation.

There was an article about they want to make it legal to vote while on parole. The typical left crew was practically jumping for joy about how they deserve this because they have served their time.

The last thing the US needs is more people in prison. If I could wave a magic wand I would close some prisons and spend the money on interventions with education and substance abuse treatments. I think the US has something like 25% of the worlds prison population.

If I remember correctly prison guards in California starting pay is in the 90k+ range and many work significant overtime to increase earnings. States should pass laws that require the budget for correctional facilities to be less then the education budget.

One time a hill billy prosecutor tried to give me 10 days in jail, 2 year license suspension, 2 years probation & fines for driving on a suspended license & having less than a gram of marijuana. The judge wouldn’t even agree to it. They kept giving me continuances until the prosecutor finally got fired for corruption. The new prosecutor gave me 6 months probation & I had to pay like $40 in court costs lol

There was an article about they want to make it legal to vote while on parole. The typical left crew was practically jumping for joy about how they deserve this because they have served their time.

You really think that guys on parole are going to go out and vote, even if they have their rights restored?

I got news for you, most cons/ex-cons don't give a single shit about politics.

The expansion of the use of probation is just one more sign that people think the judicial system is overly punitive in the first place. It's not a direct line but you can reduce the amount of people on probation by reducing your criminal statutes down to the necessities. Thus only prosecuting people who really need prosecution. Fewer people in jail. More of the right type of people in jail. Less use of probation since you won't have an overcrowding issue and the individual before the court really shouldn't be on the street.

Even with the supposed overuse of probation, we still have totalitarian nightmare levels of incarceration...

There is enough people in prison. You make more violent offenders by throwing people in prison with hardened criminals.

How much more violent can they be than killing people?

The last thing the US needs is more people in prison. If I could wave a magic wand I would close some prisons and spend the money on interventions with education and substance abuse treatments. I think the US has something like 25% of the worlds prison population.

If I remember correctly prison guards in California starting pay is in the 90k+ range and many work significant overtime to increase earnings. States should pass laws that require the budget for correctional facilities to be less then the education budget.

There are plenty of schools and every child has a chance to get an education. Many choose not to and embark on a life of crime. The harsh penalties of the past certainly decreased the number of people with a genetic disposition to ignore societies rules.

Back