Overwatch Official Discussion, v2: ELO Hell (hello darkness my old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTheAlien

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ranked competitive is here and we all know what that means.

Raging-GIF.gif

giphy.gif

fuarrrk really? are they using the same system they had on the test servers? have they tweaked the overtime.tiebreaker bullshit?

From the Twitter

Hey all,

If you've been following our developer videos or forum posts, you know that the Overwatch team has been working hard to finish our upcoming patch which includes Competitive Play (as well as a few other quality-of-life changes). From the beginning, our intent has been to release this patch by the end of June—and since July is nearly here, we wanted to give you a quick status update.

Patching on PC and Console

First, we wanted to be upfront and let players know that we won’t be able to release our Competitive Play patch on all platforms at the same time. The patch will be going live on PC today, while PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players can expect it sometime next week. We don’t have an exact date to share, but we can confirm that the patch is going through approvals right now on both platforms.

We know this isn’t an ideal way to deliver new content, so we’re going to continue to refine our patching processes over the next few months in an effort to sync up our release dates across platforms as closely possible. Although our Battle.net client will always allow us to be more agile on PC, we hope to reach a point where we can release major updates on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 simultaneously.

In the meantime, stay tuned to PlayOverwatch.com(or follow us on Twitter) for all the latest patch news and updates.

Shorter Summer Season

We also wanted to let players know that the first season of Competitive Play will be an abbreviated one, lasting only two months instead of the normal three. This is because our Competitive Play patch is launching in the middle of the Summer 2016 season, which technically began on June 1 (a minor side-effect of our real-world season system). As a result, our inaugural season will include approximately 1.5 months of play rather than the full 2.5 months, ending on August 18 across all platforms. The Fall 2016 season will then begin as scheduled following our standard two-week off-season break.

We’re super excited to release Competitive Play, and we made the decision to move ahead with a shorter season for two key reasons. One, we want players to be able to start working towards their Competitive Play rewards as soon as possible. And two, we believe this first season will teach us a lot of about what works well, what doesn't, and what players are really looking for from a competitive system in Overwatch. Competitive Play is definitely one of those features that will take us a few iterations to get right, and by getting the system out there sooner, we can start making improvements based on your feedback sooner too.

Ok, so just played my first ranked match. We were defending the first round on anubis, it seems you get 1 round defending the first objective, then 1 round attacking the first objective. We held their faces in the mud for 2 minutes, at which point they had 3 rage quit. The game will not replace anyone that leaves in competitive. So we had the next 3 minutes of defense + the next round on attack against 3 people. It makes sense why they do it, but I bet it is seriously annoying if it happens to your team. If you really do want to play competitively, then you need to be a full squad. Otherwise you risk guaranteed losses caused by rage quitters.

Ok, so just played my first ranked match. We were defending the first round on anubis, it seems you get 1 round defending the first objective, then 1 round attacking the first objective. We held their faces in the mud for 2 minutes, at which point they had 3 rage quit. The game will not replace anyone that leaves in competitive. So we had the next 3 minutes of defense + the next round on attack against 3 people. It makes sense why they do it, but I bet it is seriously annoying if it happens to your team. If you really do want to play competitively, then you need to be a full squad. Otherwise you risk guaranteed losses caused by rage quitters.

They should do temporary bans for people who leave early (idk if they do this). In CS:GO for example you get 30 minute cooldown and it keeps increasing if you keep leaving early.

I played 3 last night, I was partied with 1 friend. First game we absolutely crushed them on Lijiang Tower, we took all 3 rounds without losing 1. Second game on Route 66 we got murdered horribly. Pretyt much cut right through us on Defense and then I don't think we even hit the first checkpoint on Offense. Third game one of the guys left on the other team so it was an easy win.

They should do temporary bans for people who leave early (idk if they do this). In CS:GO for example you get 30 minute cooldown and it keeps increasing if you keep leaving early.

I played 3 last night, I was partied with 1 friend. First game we absolutely crushed them on Lijiang Tower, we took all 3 rounds without losing 1. Second game on Route 66 we got murdered horribly. Pretyt much cut right through us on Defense and then I don't think we even hit the first checkpoint on Offense. Third game one of the guys left on the other team so it was an easy win.

I agree, their should be some sort of punishment. One of the guys on our team said there isn't one at the moment (besides the standard one they had already), but I don't know whether that is the case.

It's not trading objectives, it's maps. You stop them from taking the first point on a map, when it's your turn to attack, if you go farther than them, either by pushing the cart or taking more objectives, the match will stop immediately and declare you the winner.

The problem is when both teams push the cart the same distance or tie in any other way. The current tie breaker is asymmetrical with a coin flip determining who attacks and defends.

Very surprised by this MM system. For Blizzard only added two new splash screens and a flawed OT mechanic.

Was expecting Blizzard to standardize the competitive rule sets. Instead they are forcing third parties entities to do so while not giving them the required server administrative rights/tools.

Other things im reading are troubling if true. Support players receive far less MMR gain than those who play DPS on wins. An the map type awards vastly different MMR gain or loss.

I agree, their should be some sort of punishment.

If a player leaves X amount of games within a season they are banned from participating in the remainder of the season.

Very surprised by this MM system. For Blizzard only added two new splash screens and a flawed OT mechanic.

Was expecting Blizzard to standardize the competitive rule sets. Instead they are forcing third parties entities to do so while not giving them the required server administrative rights/tools.

Other things im reading are troubling if true. Support players receive far less MMR gain than those who play DPS on wins. An the map type awards vastly different MMR gain or loss.

If a player leaves X amount of games within a season they are banned from participating in the remainder of the season.

You mean for pro tournaments? Rules are decided by the tournament host with MOBAs, don't imagine it would be any different here. The MMR thing was very similar in DOTA2, high damage classes got more MMR than support classes, and even other damage classes, you could lose 10 games as Zeus and still get over 5k mmr when, at the time, if you had 3k you were in the top 20% of players. Depends on what statistics they use to calibrate. If they use damage and healing as part of the calculations, then Zenyatta is probably the best to play for gaining MMR because you do a lot of damage (a good Zenyatta will often be in the top 3 on their team) as well as a lot of supporting.

You mean for pro tournaments? Rules are decided by the tournament host

Qualification and bracket play varies upon the event host. Game rules are standardized by the game developer.

Blizzard has always been good at viewing their competitors and instituting the positives of their systems. Here they chose to do nearly nothing, which is weird.

I just dc'd playing with a friend during placement and I rejoined and entered in less than 30 seconds and it removed me from the match with a loss. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu blizzard.

I just dc'd playing with a friend during placement and I rejoined and entered in less than 30 seconds and it removed me from the match with a loss. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu blizzard.

Even if you rejoined in time and won the match the system would of rewarded you with a loss.

Even if you rejoined in time and won the match the system would of rewarded you with a loss.

Had a dc in my last match we held them to 5 games and lost. This shitty ranked design is making me consider quitting.

Did you actually buy the game yet? Or are you still pretending that reading jibberish on reddit makes you an expert?

I am starting to get frustrated with all the crap dps, it seems like 90% plus of dps players suck, and I mean completely suck. Most games I'll top damage with Renihardt or Luci, and I've not done a particularly large amount fo damage.

I forgot why I quit LoL and HoTS, I hate the ranking system in these sorts of games (Overwatch included). Seriously the elevator style ranking and complete randomness of skill level at what is essentially MMR is horrid. Played a few games did alright then the game determined I was too high so it placed me in absolute stomps like I'm talking probably the worst losses I've had since starting the game. I'll stick it out for awhile longer but eh it's only $40, I have a few other games I can play that bring me match less tilt haha.

I am glad people DC'ing in competitive queues get the dick.
in other games I played like LOL I am happy with anything that encourages people with connection issues to play something else.

I tried Symmetra for the first time today. She isn't too bad. All about that turret placement and portal upkeep.

Finished my 10 ranked placement matches with a 6-4 record, competitive rating of 51 :confused:

I tried Symmetra for the first time today. She isn't too bad. All about that turret placement and portal upkeep.

Once O.K. showed me how her primary fire works she became much more interesting that's for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back