P4P GOAT.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
In your opinion, who's the best fighter to ever live, pound for pound?

There was a great boxer in the 18th century somewhere in the woods. Nobody knows his name, there's no picture of him, no footage, and quite frankly it's not even clear if he even existed. But 18th century sounds good, so he's the GOAT.

No.2 spot is between Joe Gans and Harry Greb.

No 4 goes to Sugar Ray Robinson. While he looks pretty good on the footage we have of him, he was even greater on the footage we DON'T have of him, just based on the stories told about him.

Floyd and Roy Jones Jr. barely make the 100 ...too contemporary, too much footage.

Last edited:
There was a great boxer in the 18th century somewhere in the woods. Nobody knows his name, there's no picture of him, no footage, and quite frankly it's not even clear if he even existed. But 18th century sounds good, so he's the GOAT.

No.2 spot is between Joe Gans and Harry Greb.

No 4 goes to Sugar Ray Robinson. While he looks pretty good on the footage we have of him, he was even greater on the footage we DON'T have of him, just based on the stories told about him.

Floyd and Roy Jones Jr. barely make the 100 ...too contemporary, too much footage.

Don't get salty just because you're too dumb to read books about boxing history. Shit happened before YouTube.

Greatest is one of SRR, Armstrong, Greb, Langford.
Best for me is Roy Jones, Ali as Clay or maybe SRL (obviously only in their prime weight classes), probably SRR if you were to extrapolate based on what you read and what you see of him when he's not quite prime but still brilliant.

What do you mean by 'best fighter to ever live, pound for pound'? Are you talking about overall greatest or are you talking about best in the ring? If you're talking about overall greatness, then what is your criteria for greatness? When you're discussing this, are you going to accept Boxing 101 principles such as 'it was harder to have a perfect record when you had the career schedule of someone in the 1940's'?
If you're talking about best in the ring, there's a greater element of subjectivity to it. Someone may say a prime Floyd is the best ever, another like myself will say a prime Roy Jones is the best ever.

You need to clear the path for a clear discussion.

I'd say the top spot belongs to SRR. Great record overall in quantity and quality, longevity, athleticism, murderous punch. He has flaws. So does any other boxer in history.

IMO other top 10 members are Armstrong, Greb, Ali, Louis, Pep, Langford, Duran, SRL, Floyd and RJJ, the order being different every day you ask me. That's right, that's 11 guys in the top 10. It's hard to say who should be kicked out of there. Maybe Pep, as he may have the lowest number of significant wins in his resume. It's very hard to tell anyway.

I don't get why Willie Pep gets named so often while Sandy Saddler never gets dropped. Because Pep beat more cab drivers?

It just shows that those fans who are "educated about boxing history" are mostly bullshitters.

It just shows that those fans who are "educated about boxing history" are mostly bullshitters.

Your broken record antics are getting more and more fascinating.

A case can be made for both Pep and Saddler to be the GOAT at 126. It's a matter of opinions, and I'm sure your case for Saddler is very convincing. Ranking one in the low 1-10 and the other high in the 11-20 is correct.

Last edited:
Greatest all time p4p needs 2 categories. Best overall career... record, accomplishments etc. The other is at their “peak”.
Overall: SRRobinson
Peak: Roy Jones Jr.

Currently:
Overall: Pacquiao
Peak: Lomachenko

I used to say Ali over SRR but @mozfonky who's a huge Ali fan made a good argument that SRR probably deserves it. He had a lotta moxie I tell ya.

well, i love ali, i really do, he is my fave after all but he isn't the most complete fighter ever, not even close. Even Sugar Ray had some problems, took too many punches being the biggest one but overall, no one like him.

Last edited:
For me it's Sugar Ray Robinson, then maybe Henry Armstrong. It really all depends on the criteria one uses to determine "greatness". I go by resume: who you beat, when you beat them, and who you lost to. Then I go by dominance: How many wins you have as opposed to losses, for how long, and in how many weight classes.
It's all subjective, sometimes people get too worked up about it.

well, i love ali, i really do, he is my fave after all but he isn't the most complete fighter ever, not even close. Even Sugar Ray had some problems, took too many punches being the biggest one but overall, no one like him.

Ali was kind of one-dimensional. It's just that he was arguably the best ever at that dimension.

Ali was kind of one-dimensional. It's just that he was arguably the best ever at that dimension.
he was great, he was probably the most limited fighter in the greatest fighters' lists. No inside fighting, average power, terrible fundamentals but his strengths were, he could adapt to any style, he could change his style to a style not even becoming to him. He's become slugger at times in his career and managed to win. He was a fantastic athlete, great reflexes, superb stamina, could fight at the fastest pace of anyone in history in the weight class. Had enough physical strength and size to handle the big boys of the division and the sharpest strategic mind in boxing history. It all then became a matter of getting what he could out of his tools, his sharp jab, good right cross, slapping left hook, and in his first incarnation as champ, the ceaseless combinations.

All I'm gonna say is look at Roy Jones Jr. circa 1994 - 1996 (watch the film it's all on youtube) and tell me who would beat this guy.

And Moz don't bring up that his chin was suspect, it may have been, possibly, but no one was touching him. Not until his legs got the better of him 8yrs later. RJJ P4P GOAT in his prime. The magazines said it when he was reigning, why would that change now?

All I'm gonna say is look at Roy Jones Jr. circa 1994 - 1996 (watch the film it's all on youtube) and tell me who would beat this guy.

And Moz don't bring up that his chin was suspect, it may have been, possibly, but no one was touching him. Not until his legs got the better of him 8yrs later. RJJ P4P GOAT in his prime. The magazines said it when he was reigning, why would that change now?
i won't bring it up, i just have to wonder....

There are boxers that reign supreme in certain weight class. When they grow out of this weight class, their performance in heavier classes diminish considerably; for example, Adrian Broner seeemed invincible at 130-135lbs, Nonito at 118-122lbs. There are others whose performance remains relatively constant or improve at heavier classes; for example, Pacquiao, Floyd, SRR, SRL, Daran, etc. But there is a special bread that are capable of adventuring in the highest weight class (HW), and to me they show the set of technical skills, the physicality, and the tactics that distinguish them from the rest; to this class RJJ and Jack Dempsey belong.

Back