pablo popovitch

a lot of garcia fanboys hate his guts for him beating him 2 times in competition

I'm the biggest Garcia fanboy- and I don't hate him at all.

He beat Marcelo once, and he cheated throughout the match to win by points. Marcelo beat him twice, tapping him out both times.

Pablo's won ADCC once, Marcelo's won it 4 times- as well as being a 5 time Gi World Champ....there really isn't any competition to even be mad at him.

he beat marcelo n 04 05 as well on a smaller tournament

I'm pretty positive he did not. Marcelo didn't even move to the USA until summer of 2006. He wasn't really competing in smaller tournaments in North America except for the Gracie Arnolds in 2005 (which he won).

he lost to daniel moraes in 2004 or 05 and im sure that was in usa since daniel was under relson gracie till few years ago when he moved back to brazil

There was a little shorts grabbing that marred his win over Marcelo at ADCC, but basically yes he does. He was an absolutely elite no-gi guy.
There was a few dirty things he did to pull out that win over Marcelo. I can't remember what they were, one of his black belts told me the story back in 2010 or 11. Marcelo won't talk about it, he just nodded conceded that it was Pablo's day.

he lost to daniel moraes in 2004 or 05 and im sure that was in usa since daniel was under relson gracie till few years ago when he moved back to brazil

If I recall, Marcelo lost to Daniel Moraes at the Brazilian ADCC trials in 2003 by -1 points for pulling guard, because Daniel was stalling like crazy aznd wouldn't engage. He then got to compete because UFC fighter Dennis Hallman got hurt- and the rest is history.

They met up again in the semifinals of the IBJJF worlds in 2006, and Daniel did the same thing, but this time he was dq'd for stalling.

(Just to prove I'm just stating facts and not being too biased...how the heck does someone lose by stalling at Worlds?)

Last edited:
There was a few dirty things he did to pull out that win over Marcelo. I can't remember what they were, one of his black belts told me the story back in 2010 or 11. Marcelo won't talk about it, he just nodded conceded that it was Pablo's day.

Pablo grabbed Marcelo's shorts at least 10-12 times during the match while he Pablo was passing. People in the stands saw it (I had a well known black belt tell me he counted 12 times), and Marcelo complained to the ref and the ref didnt do anything.

After the match, in the back, where the competitors were, Pablo admitted to Marcelo that grabbing his shorts was one of the strategy's he had to beat him. How do I know? Because I was in the back with all of them (as a guest of Marcelo's).

Like I said, Marcelo's accomplishments far outshine Pablo's, but I bring this incident up (ADCC), because it was so flagrant and people forget nowadays.

Back